frost

Another JVX pilot... first impressions

I got to make 8 jumps on a hybrid JVX-87 loaded at ~2.65:1.

First impressions seem to go along the lines of what have been already said and reviewed many times before, so most of what i say below is a repeat of what you have already heard or read elsewhere.

Packing: Hybrid 87 fits into a Mirage G3-M1 very nicely. For this size/type i would not advise a container smaller then an M1. It is somewhat of a pain to pack, some of this due to the HUGE slider and offset slider stops, some due to resistant sail material. But this was manageable and will become easier with more practice i am sure.

Openings: Tried a few different suggestions (thanks marks and others who have posted the packing tips). In general the openings at terminal ARE softer then VX. But not smooth like say Neos or x-fire might be. I found that NOT doing anything to the nose resulted in much more on-heading openings. Medium roll of the tail seemed best too.

It DOES dive and fly like a fighter jet. I think that heavy loading definitely contributes to it. Different from VX, recovery arc seemed similar to a Velocity. And it's fast - at full flight my optima was going off with a freefall alarm:)

Rears are very strong on the JVX. As expected, I did have to bring up the turn about 100-120 feet. On the second jump landing it on rears was as natural as on any of my VXs.

Of course I still have dial the JVX in, so i cant really comment on other aspects of the flight like distance etc., but one thing is for sure it did go further then my VX97 loaded at ~ 2.36:1. I get my longest runs on VX111 loaded @ ~2.1:1, but i cant compare it just yet, since i have a lot more jumps on VX111

My main concern was and still is the efficiency of a smaller AND much higher loaded wing going the same distance as a bigger lighter loaded one. I cant say conclusively at this point, but i do have high expectations of the hybrid JVX to go that distance. Hopefully as i put more jumps on it and figure out the technique - it will.

Next thing is to get rid of that monster slider. Yuck. For 3 grand i'd expect an RDS to be included :)

My x-braced experience:
1000 jumps on VXs (90% on VX-111)
150 on Xaos-21 120
50-60 on velocities (120, 111, 103)
Current canopies: VX-111 and VX-97

Thanks to everyone who has given me good tips and info in the PM conversations.

Next thing is to get rid of that monster slider.

I am very happy with my RDS from the Paraconcepts peeps out of Chicago that I use with my JVX. It's not the cheapest one on the market, but it is very well made. I don't have any contact info for them at this time, but you can always talk to Nick B if you want to go down that road.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I don't have a digital camera and since I'm just starting some major home reno projects, buying a new digital camera is low on my list of things I need to buy in the next few months.

Anyway ...

Nick B sent me an email message before I picked up my RDS and I thought this email message contained pics of the system. But after looking at the email all it contains is video of his openings. So send me a PM with your email addy and then I can forward you Nick B's email address (and the message that he sent me of the openings on the RDS).

It is not a bad system. The rings are big if I remember correctly.

It's actually a very good system and no the rings aren't all that big. The only thing remotely bad about it is that it's one of the more expensive systems on the market.

Cool ...

I hope the yellow, red and black beast is keeping you happy. I'm obviously kind of weathered out at the moment and not all that current (it's a good thing I own a Spectre, Samurai and Velocity). But I am happy with Shimells old JVX. :)