flyfactory.de

JVX Tips and Tricks

Hi people.
I´m just about to buy a JVX. Now I´m not sure what size I should pick. I have flown a Velo111 at 2.4 but lost weigth and the JVX 96 would put me at 2.4. Is that the sweet spot for the canopy?
I have heard about things like warning label on the bottom of the sail and the competition line trim. I´m not sure if I should leave the attachment point away... Does it make a difference in the performance?
Are there other things to think about, when buying the JVX - I thought of the huge container I will need ;)
Does anybody know when the new PD ZBrace is coming out on the market? Should I wait? Will Daedaluscanopies come out with a JVX ZBrace too?
Sorry for the hole bunch of questions and thanks in advance for any hint.
BlueS
Patrice

I was asking the same questons a few weeks ago. From what I understand, the JVX flys a size bigger than a Velocity... Meaning that a 96 JVX would probably compare to a 103 Velocity.
Also, many questions about the JVX can be answered at www.canopypiloting.com in the "Forums" section.

I have tried various sizes and loadings on the JVX from 2.0 right up to 3.2, and i have found that optimal loadings vary for each discipline.

for example i like 2.0 for accuracy and 2.2 for freestyle but i like 2.7 for distance and 3.0 for speed. but this is all on larger than 90 square foot canopies (except for speed) this may not scale down with smaller canopies as drag and lift do not scale down proportionately in my experience.

if you can only get one canopy for an all round performer then i would recomend a 2.5 wing loading provided you have the experience and training to fly the wing as efficiently and safely as possible. if not then a lighter wingloading is always better to improve skills on.

I would get the attachment point unless this is only ever going to be used for swoop specific jumps and it also helps with resale if the canopy can be used in a standard configeration. i would get the competition trim and lineset as this will add to your performance with the canopy.

if you are getting an all sail material canopy in the 96 square foot range then you will need a container that is built for a 150 standard canopy ie non crossbraced. this is good because it allows for a much bigger reserve which is always safer than smaller even for expert pilots.

as far as release for the z brace or any other prototype cell structure.. who knows but my best guess is there is a lot of R&D to be done and i imagine it will be years not months before we see those sold to the general public.

pm me for specific questions if you like i have owned many jvxs as well as other stuff.

hope this helps

if you are getting an all sail material canopy in the 96 square foot range then you will need a container that is built for a 150 standard canopy ie non crossbraced. this is good because it allows for a much bigger reserve which is always safer than smaller even for expert pilots.

PD is getting ready to release their low bulk reserves which are another option for container sizes.

I wouldn't wait.........You can wait a long time if you are always waiting for the latest and greatest. The JVX is the current latest and greatest in canopy design.

You have 3 options for the JVX.

1.) All Zero-P
2.) Hybid - Zero-P with Sail Cloth Topskin
3.) All Sail Cloth.

Unless you are competing I'd go with the Hybrid or all Zero-P as the Full Sail Cloth option does pack very large. I have an all Zero-P JVX and love it......conversely my team mates just ordered the Hybrid at the same size 99sq ft, and says the hybrid blows the Zero-P away.

I wouldn't know yet until i recover from knee surgery, but I'll take Johns word on this.

Harry P
Team Wicked Liquid

Thanks a lot for the replies.

@ Nick: the guy you wanted to contact is Tobi Scherrinsky, a good friend of mine. Please send me a PM if you need his EMailadress.
@ Harry: Unfortunately I can´t add any weight according to the new Weight rules.... That´s why I need "one for all".
@ Paul: Thank´s for your offer. I´ll get back to you concerning the PMs ;)

I´m also looking for a used JVX... 94-100... If anyone has one left please contact me and for a Swoop Rig - an old Javelin J1 with 19´´ would be nice ;)
BlueS
Patrice

I packed the JVX up just like my velocity and it opened nicely. I know there is some consensus about folding the outside nose into the center and rolling the tail quite a bit, but I found with my velocity's, FX, and VX in past that the more you do to the pack job the more it screws with the openings. I mainly flake the material out between the line groups, quarter the slider and pull some out in front of the nose, firmly place the slider against the slider stops, and roll the tail two or three times. I keep control of the tail roll throughout the pack job as much as I can, but once it gets into the bag I'm sure it comes undone anyway. My one jump yesterday on this type of pack job had a nice opening. It didn't really snivel that long nor want to fly to much off heading. When it does want to fly off heading I reach up and steer it with rear risers throughout the opening (I do this with my velocity too). I was at terminal when I deployed, and I have been that way on both of my jumps on the canopy, and the opening was really nice. Not as long snivel wise as my velocity, but not hard or violent either. I kind of like it because it has less time to fly off heading or spin up. My velocity really takes a long time to open and it really seaks around. All in all the JVX openings so far have been a non issue.

I can really see that this canopy likes harness input more so than risers. The risers seem to build up quite a bit faster than the velocity. I am used to a harness with a long chest strap and 24" risers and removable slider. I have been jumping the stock slider for the past two jumps and I do not have a slider keeper, so the slider keeps flying up. Also the harness that I jumped yesterday had short risers and a short chest strap. I have read somewhere that it is recomended that you do not loosen the chest strap or use longer risers on this canopy. I really didn't like that configuration because it feels as if the risers are right there on your ears. As soon as my new harness comes in I will probably loosen the chest strap all the way and go back to 24" risers. Of course the slider will not be a permanent fixture either. I have not pulled the bag and pilot chute off yet, but it really seems as if the canopy wants that stuff gone.

I think my overall impression so far of the JVX is that it wants to fly far, and be loaded. It also seems that the more spped you have with the thing the better. I will have to work on harness turn rates and keeping th ecanopy in a dive, as the pressure builds up and I am used to being able to muscle my velocity around and keep it in a dive for quite a while.

I kinda asked this in the other post...

For those that have dialed in the JVX:
What's the preferred loading for it?
Does it matter what type it is (ZP or hybrid)
Are there preferred loadings for distance and speed for JVX?

Spizzzarko: your 89 is loaded @ ~2.6 right? Do you feel like you need more? For what, distance or speed? I know you need a few dozen more jumps on it to be able to answer this better, but still...

Thanks

I only have two jumps of it, and three JVX jumps total. I have only flown the all sail version so I cannot really comment much on the ZP version.

In the past we have laid a 96 all sail JVX on top of a 96 ZP velocity. The JVX had about 6-7 more inches of span but a little less chord compared to the velocity. The line lengths were similar, if not about an inch off. When kiting my 89 JVX next to a 90 veloctiy, they look similar in size, but the velocity is noticably fatter from bottom skin to top skin. I do not know what the "Aero" word for that measurement is so I will call it "Da Girth":D. I have not laid the 89 on top of the 90 yet. I know these are not scientific methods, but I'm just telling yuo all what I have done and seen. I have no real allegiance to one canopy or another (except in reserves and it is PD all the way baby!)

I have put three jumps on Ian Drennans old red and white 90 velocity. It was a nice canopy to fly and if I recall correctly it had stock length blue lines. I loaded it around 2.5 and that is about what I load the 89 JVX at. I remember the 90 not shutting down as well as the 89 JVX at that loading, but the jumps I did on the 90 was in summer and the jumps I'm putting on the 89 is in colder air so the DA may be different.

As far as needing more loading on the JVX 89 at 2.516 or so I don't really know... I'm sorry I cannot be more help right now, but I don't want to put a bunch of stuff out there on the internet that may create a false image of the canopy. Polarbear here on line has about 70 jumps on JVX's now, and he is an unbiased dude. He seems to like his JVX loaded around 2.6 or higher. I'm looking for an all around performer as I want to be able to use this canopy for work jumps. I do not have the money, time or skill to own three or four different canopies for different loadings for different events. It's not like I can get a golf bag of canopies:o. From my limited experience the JVX at 2.5 is a nice flyer. I can get my velocity 96 to go further right now, but that is because I know the velocity pretty well, and am used to it. Don't think that 2.5 loading on the JVx is something to not be respected. I'm sure it can put you in a bad spot in a hurry if you make a mistake and there are some pretty experienced dudes who have gotten humbled by the canopy, Duane Hall, Greg Chopiuck, Steve Armstrong, ect ect ect. These dudes are really freaking good pilots and they have a healthy respect for the JVX. So I am not advocating that you HAVE to load a JVX to do well on it, and that a loading of 2.5 and above is no big deal on the JVX. I'm sure it is a very big deal, but the sail JVX seems to handle the higher loading a little better than a velocity of equal or similar size. Different canopies really shine at different loadings so actually comparing the JVX to a velocity is kind of like comparing apples to oranges I guess.

In the future I plan on doing a comparison of the JVX all sail 89 to the Velocity 90. The velo 90 that I will use will have RDS and stock length blue lines from Mel (He has really good customer service if you need any thing done and I cannot recomend his products enough). The JVX will have stock (not competition trim) HMA lines and an RDS. This is as close of a control as I can get in this experiment. If PD wanted to make me a 90 velo out of sail with HMA I would use that if I could, but Iseriously doubt they would do that (just imagine a sail velo:D It would sure be a ballsy canopy!).

I'm sorry if I havn't answered your question, but I have given you the info that I have, and the truth is I just do not have enough jumps or experience on a JVX to really form an opinion either way. I know Jim will try and sell you one, but he will also give you more information than I have about the canopy. So grab the salt shaker and call him up. Paul Russow (proswooper here on dz.com) jumps all sail JVX's, and he knows his stuff. He is also a nice guy (even though he is fat and looks gay:D) so ask him for info, and he can help you out. I regret not having gotten more info from him before I purchased this canopy, but I do not think that I have purchased a bad size or shitty model of the canopy yet. Also realize that I do not have teh luxury of being able to wear weight in competition so proper sizing of a canopy is a little more imperative for me than others, otherwise it gets really expensive buying and selling canopies. It is a shame that there is so little info about this canopy out there, but it is a new design and there are really not that many people jumping them yet if you compare it to the velocity. I'll let you all know what I find out as I jump it, but realize these are my opinions of the canopy. I will try to be as unbiased as possible. I look forward to hearing what other peoples experiences of the JVX are too.

I remember the 90 not shutting down as well as the 89 JVX at that loading, but the jumps I did on the 90 was in summer and the jumps I'm putting on the 89 is in colder air so the DA may be different.

DA would do it, but I also wonder if the sail fabric is a factor as well. It's stiffer, right? Maybe it holds it's shape better as speed (and pressurization) decrease.

I'm sure the sail has something to do with it. This canopy really glides out so long spots are not difficulties. The velocity resonds to deep brakes best for long spots, but I feel the JVX likes rear risers better than deep brakes.

Jim Slaton says that the sail holds it shape better, and from the kiting I have done with it right next to the 90 velo it does seem to hold it's shape better than the velocity. You can learn a lot from kitting canopies and people should do it more often in my opinion. Neither the JVX or velo are that much better than the other when we have been kitting it. The both quit flying about the same time when the wind would die, but I don't think much of anything could be kitted in the winds we had when we were kitting (low and variable)

Thanks for the reply man, i know it's hard to compare with just a few jumps, so I appreciate the info. It was helpful.

Overall, I just wanted to see what folks with JVXs feel is the best wingloading for this wing and for what discipline.

Oh and also does anyone jump a sail JVX to terminal full time?

Michael Vaughan (michael_qld on here; 9th in Vienna) has been jumping a JVX 79 for over a year now. If he's got less than 500 jumps on it I'd be shocked, as he usually does best part of 1000 jumps/year. I'm pretty sure he jumps it while doing 4- and 8-way training.

You could try PMing him for more insight.

i have jumped all zp, all sail, and hybrid,

i have around 1500 jvx jumps on various sizes and configurations, and i have about the same experience on various velocities (excluding sail material on velos).

i have competed at three world meets two with jvxs.

pm me for specific size and loading questions, i guarantee some useful info

I can tell you that when i asked Jim Slaton what size he recommended he told me that 2.2 was optimal atleast for the Zero-P. I have about 150 jumps on a JVX 99 loaded at 2.3

My Team Mate Joey Costa was jumping a VX 60 and went with the JVX 77 which is about a 2.4. He is much happier with the larger wing. Joey has about 250 jumps on his JVX and a couple thousand on his old VX 60. He might have some feedback for you as well.

The Sail material is higher performance although I have no jumps on either a Hybrid or Full Sail Cloth JVX, so I really can't offer any meaningful input. Per my other Team Mate John Thompson, who has jumped both the Hybird and ZeroP, there is a noticeable difference in performance between a Hybrid JVX 99 and a Zero P JVX 99 loaded at 2.3