TheFousts

Step by Step Swoop Set-up?

Can someone describe a step by step swoop set up? I want to read through the posts to get a grip on what swooping is all about before I start doing drills up high but a step by step will help me understand what I'm reading and watching in videos. Can anyone give a step by step as to approx altitude one makes a riser turn, when risers are released and toggles take over, flare etc? I know this all varies but there must be a generalized format?

how about you read brian germains book

buy it here

http://bigairsportz.com/publishing.php#parachute

its "A Parachute and its Pilot" and had the most effect on my canopy piloting outside of spending 3 days with brian himself.

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I was going to suggest brian's book as well but you beat me to it.

Take his course as well if he is offering one anywhere near you. I petitioned my association to get him in.

Was worth every penny

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Can someone describe a step by step swoop set up? I want to read through the posts to get a grip on what swooping is all about before I start doing drills up high but a step by step will help me understand what I'm reading and watching in videos. Can anyone give a step by step as to approx altitude one makes a riser turn, when risers are released and toggles take over, flare etc? I know this all varies but there must be a generalized format?

There is a generalized format, that is to say, you should learn from a mentor at your DZ. That is the best way to learn any type of swooping. Work with someone who can watch you and explain things to you in person.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Learning from a mentor at your home dz is for sure a good idea, if you have one, but what if you don't have anyone to learn from, apart from guys with 25 years experience who still believe that yanking down a toggle then stabbing to get out of the corner is the best way to do it???
Thats all we had at our dz and it took a shit load of reading and self learning and hop an pops to get anywhere.
Log onto canopypiloting.com and go to the 'ask Jim' forum he will give you a some priceless advice on canopy flying and swooping no matter what your level is :)

apart from guys with 25 years experience who still believe that yanking down a toggle then stabbing to get out of the corner is the best way to do it???

stabby stabison!!:D:D

but i thought those 360deg toggle hookies at 100' to no surf stabs were tha way to do it!

Jim Moss was a good guy to learn from though... i miss him!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

i would suggest this is not the website to be searching for the best information on swooping. go to canopypiloting.com and read everything. jim has articles on everything from beginning to end on his website.

aside from that i agree that you should be getting all of the general basics form someone in person tht you trust. do you have any really competant crossbrace canopy pilots at your home dz? i bet they would be happy to get you going if you just asked them. buy the beer!

i would suggest this is not the website to be searching for the best information on swooping. go to canopypiloting.com and read everything. jim has articles on everything from beginning to end on his website.

And I will positively disagree with you. This site and, particularly, this forum has been in existence far longer than Jim's site. Likewise, this site is frequented and contributed to my many, many professional canopy pilots. Any question you can think to ask has, positively, already been answered on this site. Just do a search. Jim is a great guy and he has a very slick-looking site, but he is not the end-all authority on anything. His site also gets very-little traffic in comparison to this site (particularly this forum). In my opinion it is far better to get a wider variety of answers from other positively qualified experts, than just blindly follow the advice of one person. That is all.

Chuck Blue
D-12501