Monk

Any NEW thoughts from anyone on the ONYX?

Hokay...first lemme say that I cherrish, revere, love sleep with my comp cobalt 135 loaded at 1.74 And I have read every post here about onyx; last post was around jun 2004. that being said any latest comments on the latest version of the onyx? I truly love my comp cobalt I would really like to be excited about an onyx in the next year. Anyone else been flying their comp cobalt and then switch to an onyx? and still be just as happy? Come on...there has to be some new opinions out there?

Monk

He isn't jumping it that often anymore, he has been using another atair canopy for all the cpc events this year and also for skyfest this past weekend. Missed seeing you there too BTWB|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Is this a new yet to be disclosed canopy? That you are talking about?

Brian has a handful of random canopies from Atair. If I remember correctly this was a prototype that Atair had put together to play with a couple of design ideas. He was implying it wasn't something that they were going to build for production, though.

I will say this, since he's started jumping the no-name Atair canopy he's had some of the best swoops that I've ever seen him do. A whole lot better then what he was able to get the Onyx to do.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hmmmm maybe then I will just get a smaller comp cobalt and wait and see for another year or so.

Well, that's interesting. There is always a better canopy. I'd rather get a demo on Onyx. I've just started to fly my Cobalt. I'm impressed and in love. I don't thing that Onyx could be a disappointment.

the 4 people i knew who have demoed the onyx really didnt like it. one person who was offered a sponsership, turned it down to to its poor flight charactersitics. the main complaint was its extremly short recovery arc and mild dive.this may be a good thing if you want the lift of xrsbraced but not so much dive.
not trying to bash a canopy here but it sounds like the onyx was a big miss and probably wont be around too long due to lack of sales. this is pure speculation on my part, but id bet im not too far off base.
keep in mind i have never flown the onyx, all my info is secomd hand so take it with a grain of salt. the swoopers i got the info from all very good canopy pilots and all compete in the open class on the swoop circut.
hope this helps and doesnt offend all you attar folks.
>

The canopy that Atair (europe anyway) is promoting is the Radical. Robi Pecnic and James Boole from Phoenix Fly were both jumping it at the last Flock and Dock event in Z-hills. It looks sort of like a Cobalt, but thinner and with "triple" cells towards the ends. It definitely dives longer than a Cobalt (or CC) from what I saw there.

If Bryan is not jumping his onyx then I know of no other person who is. Former PST competitor Eric Butts had one as well, but I am pretty sure he has a Velo now.

Chuck

The canopy that Atair (europe anyway) is promoting is the Radical. Robi Pecnic and James Boole from Phoenix Fly were both jumping it at the last Flock and Dock event in Z-hills. It looks sort of like a Cobalt, but thinner and with "triple" cells towards the ends. It definitely dives longer than a Cobalt (or CC) from what I saw there.

If Bryan is not jumping his onyx then I know of no other person who is. Former PST competitor Eric Butts had one as well, but I am pretty sure he has a Velo now.

Chuck

Erik jumps mostly Sigmas :ph34r: but is talking about getting a Velo. His personal rig has a Comp Cobalt 120 in it. There were some bigger pics of the canopy in Moffett's (IMGR2) avatar, but I can't find them. Except for the diamonds, it looks like a demon at first glance, but may not be totally stock.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

The onyx is a 36 cell comp-cobalt. It is hands down the best canopy we have ever produced. The standard model is adjusted to my preference which is short lines and fast recovery arc. At moderate wingloadings this does not make it the best canopy for pro-swoopers looking for max distance. For this context we produce the canopy with a line set ~10% longer and more agressive trim. We have sold ~ 50 canopies, most with the shorter lines set but several with the longer.

The reason you dont see more is that we are 100% booked with military orders and have not ran a single sport advertisment in close to 2 years. We recently received the single largest U.S. military order for percision airdrop systems in history. The result of all this rapid growth for Atair is that sport canopy production which is the lowest margin and highest liability work, has drastically decreased.

We have a very strong grass roots following of repeat customers and referred friends. For the time being we are simply taking care of and supporting them.

ps. brian is jumping both a onyx and the 'no-name' proto. the no-name is a new airfoil and fully elliptical. i believe brian recently broke a speed record with that canopy in competition.

sincerely,

Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I know this might not be the right place to discuss such issues but have you guys thought about splitting the company in two, military and sport?

I am a big fan of Stane and his products and would love to see more of his ideas implemented in newer tarps.
Memento Audere Semper

Hey Thanks cobalt dan for the reply. My next question for you is...Is there any possibility to demo an onyx 115 with both the standard line trim and the longer line trim? Do you have both of those in stock to demo? And basically I'm looking for porportions similar to my comp cobalt ie dive and recovery arc just smaller faster and more rigid if you know what I mean. Are they similar beasts? Does the latest version of the onyx open as sweet as my comp cobalt 135?

Monk

Erik jumps mostly Sigmas but is talking about getting a Velo. His personal rig has a Comp Cobalt 120 in it. There were some bigger pics of the canopy in Moffett's (IMGR2) avatar, but I can't find them. Except for the diamonds, it looks like a demon at first glance, but may not be totally stock.

I attached the pic of the no name proto, Bryan told me one of the canopies he was flying this past weekend was in fact an onyx, it just didn't have any diamonds on it. I don't have pics of that one however. It might be one with the longer lineset however because it sure seemed to fly steeper and had a longer recovery than his other onyx. For the record, i am a cobalt fan, i simply love my comp(h-modded) 105. I also will continue to fly them as long as i can get my hands on them.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I already saw the picture from Brain and I looked at it again now.
The shape and everything else looks just like my demon. Also the story about that other line-set is the same with the demon.
You can order now a different line-set which gives you a demon competition.
The demon competition is faster,sharper dives more and has a longer recovery-arc. That by only adjusting the trim.

the demon is a privately labeled canopy resold by performance variable.

the 'no-name' canopy brian is jumping is a newer yet to be named version. look next for the integration of our comp cobalt nose.

and yes the onyx openings are every bit as sweet as your cobalt...i believe we have several 115 demos, however you will have to fight some of my staff for them....juri, baker: you on line? give a call and we will work it out.

Daniel Preston <><>

I hope i am not wrong or will not offend anyone, but as a Slovenian skydiver that has made his past 700 jumps on a AtAit canopy, i feel entitled to bring out the fact, that AtAir Slovenia has nothing to do with the AtAir company CobaltDan is representing on this forums.

I must also say, that i recently bought a new canopy Stane is making that has the name of Radical, and it has, as SkyMonkeyOne allready said, "triple" end cells. It sure does dive more then all the Cobalts and Competition Cobalts i have jumped.

As for the Onyx, I only saw some jumps with them, and as i spoke with the jumpers, all of them were not quite satisfied with them. But, as Stane is a great engineer, i am sure he will eventually come up with a "hardcore" idea ;)

Edited to add: "triple" end cells...

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

you are partially correct in that atair doo, atair aerodynamics and atair aerospace are separate corporations.

as to the radical it is a kick ass canopy, and yet another incarnation of the proven cobalt airfoil and planform.

Daniel Preston <><>