blu

Slider Question

I sewed on a small piece of 3/4 binding tape to the yoke of my rig and got one of the tent tie down balls and tied it with the knot inside the ball. I loop on a big rubberband and wrap that around the slider.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

i also use the tent tie down with the plastic ball on it and it works well. just remember to make sure that the rubber band will break if you need to cut the main away after you've stowed the slider (cut the band in half lengthwise or something similar).
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Why don't you just get a removable slider? They are faster than rolling the regular slider up. They give you much better visibility. They will probably give you better openings. They will allow your canopy to spread out further giving you better performance. They will not hinder a cut away when you get into a canopy wrap like the rubberband ball set up possibly could. That's five positives to the removable slider. The only negative I can think of would be that they take a little more time to pack up at first. Five to one reasons why to get an RDS. Google skyworks rigging, and tell them Grant sent ya!

As an alternative, I use "slocks" since I don't like having stuff on my reserve flap. A rigger can install them very easily. Check out the bottom of the page here: http://www.bigairsportz.com/article.php

Once you open your chest-strap all the way the slider is pinned below and behind your head and can't come back up. If I ever needed more "performance" than that, I'd just go with a removeable setup like Grant mentioned.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

As an alternative, I use "slocks" since I don't like having stuff on my reserve flap. A rigger can install them very easily. Check out the bottom of the page here: http://www.bigairsportz.com/article.php

Once you open your chest-strap all the way the slider is pinned below and behind your head and can't come back up. If I ever needed more "performance" than that, I'd just go with a removeable setup like Grant mentioned.

I use the same setup as you, but it's worth mentioning that the rearwards visibility is better with rubber-band-on-rig thingys.

Also: the rubber-bands won't fit on Talons due to the design of the reserve flap.

The removable slider gives you the best visibility and will work on talons. The added performance of the removable slider is just a byproduct of the many other reasons to buy one. Once you jump a canopy that has a removable slider you will never go back to jumping one without it. That is all.

The removable slider gives you the best visibility and will work on talons. The added performance of the removable slider is just a byproduct of the many other reasons to buy one. Once you jump a canopy that has a removable slider you will never go back to jumping one without it. That is all.

I agree completely but I pack for myself.....except when on (4 way) camps. I will install my old slider for that. They are great but you need to "know your gear" - I'd say a lot of people don't or don't care to.....

rm

The added performance of the removable slider is just a byproduct of the many other reasons to buy one.

So you're saying that if i put one on my 135 Safire, the swoop gods won't laugh at me? This is a serious question btw, cos the canopy is due for a reline and i have seriously been thinking about putting 500 hma on it and adding a removable slider.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

The added performance of the removable slider is just a byproduct of the many other reasons to buy one.

So you're saying that if i put one on my 135 Safire, the swoop gods won't laugh at me? This is a serious question btw, cos the canopy is due for a reline and i have seriously been thinking about putting 500 hma on it and adding a removable slider.

I'll laugh at you, but I'm not a swoop god, and it won't be about the canopy, but more about after jumping bar antics!:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's like a man wearing womens underwear. If everyone knew about it then they would make fun of you, but they just don't realize how comfortable it is... :D:D

To hell with what the so called swoop gods think. Trust me... Once you go to a removable slider you will never want to go back to the original slider, ever! It will take you a few jumps to figure out how to get it off fast, and how and were to stow it. Once you get that figured out then you will really enjoy the positive aspects of the slider. By the way I do not wear womans underwear, but I jump a removable slider.

Grant

Cool, thanks dude, i'll seriously consider it :)
A mate of mine has been getting our local riggers to make them for him so i'll have a chat to them when i send the rag in for the reline.

Cheers

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

They should call thongs for men "The Banana Hammock".

Google Skyworks Rigging Mell and Joe make a great setup, and their technorra lines are the heat!

no need to google it, here is the contact info.B|
Mark Lancaster
Master Rigger
Skyworks Parachute Service
2222 Bufalo-West Springs Hwy.
Buffalo, SC 29321
864-429-8428 (office #)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Thanx, do you jump the RDS on regular jumps or only for swooping if so how much time deos it take to remove it? i worry about traffic problems :P
***Keep it fun, stay alive***
Safe swoops
Azul
Follow Orbita on Twitter @freeflyorbita

Thanx, do you jump the RDS on regular jumps or only for swooping if so how much time deos it take to remove it? i worry about traffic problems :P

it is quicker than stowing a regular slider. less time in the air, more time on the ground.

rm

I pull the slider off on every jump, but only have the bag come off on hop and pops. Having the bag and pilot chute come off get's to be a little time consuming as you have to reel everything in and stow it. Pull high when you are pulling the bag off. It does add to your packing time a little as you want to make sure you get everything right when you are packing it. A mistake in packing can be a little more disastrouse than with a regular slider setup.

That is just one - of several versions - of slider catchers sewn to risers.
More than a decade ago I sewed a few sets of slider catchers to Sandy Reid's pattern.Since then I have made several pairs of slider catchers to several different patterns.
Just yesterday, I sewed a set of - Andreas' pattern - slider catchers on Steve's main risers.
The primary reason I sewed slider catchers onto Steve's main risers is because all the other types of slider holders (neck of jump suit or reserve top flap) scare me. I refuse to have any thing to do with balls attached to reserve flaps.

I just got one put on a couple weeks ago. When i went to get a repack i asked my rigger if he could do it, he threw it on for minimal cost. Love the thing, just get prepped on the risk of it ;-) I'm flying a safire 189, havent learned to swoop yet (emphasis on yet!) but I just prefer to fly with it down, and i figure it is good practice for when i do begin to learn. No one has made fun of me yet, Im flying with some of the CPC and PST guys too, great group to learn from, and no mean comments yet :-D

clear skies
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

this is for the removable slider. i have one on my 99 crossfire 2. at first i just had the removable slider on, after about 20 jumps or so i put the whole thing on. works great. take it to terminal, no problem. did tandem videos with it, although i dont like it and try to use another rig, but i do. they just open a taste higher for me. we are at a small dz so its cool with them. but id highly reccomend one. i got mine from joe benette. removing the junk makes a huge difference in performance. with just the slider off your canopy is more efficient. with the whole rds system off youre recovery arc will be longer. but for normal jumps just taking the slider off is cake. i think someone else mentioned this, i can also get the thing off and down my shirt faster than it takes to collapse one roll it up and stow it. with the whole rds system it can be quite a bit longer. he makes them for around $225. for contact info for him email me. oh by the way im selling this setup if anyone is interested. it will be up on the classified after i get a pic of the canopy this weekend.

chris