flyfactory.de

PDs RDS

Contact skyworks rigging. They make a fine rds.

exactly, forget PD just go with MEL's...

Mark E. Lancaster-FAA Master Rigger/Owner
Skyworks Parachute Service
"The Icarus Service Center"
2222 Buffalo-West Springs Hwy.
Buffalo, SC 29321
864-429-8428

rm

Are there any tips you can give me concerning this special RDS or in general on the use of it?

When you have the full RDS hooked up (slider + dbag) make sure you pack it neatly. It's easy to get lineburns on the tail.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

I guess that the full RDS is only to use with hop ´n pops... which have really no freefall at all...

Why do you want to be using a full RDS? If it's for competition/training purposes, then yes this is a no brainer, you'll use it for some sort of hop n' pop. Otherwise why do you want a full RDS?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Sorry. I guess I didn´t explain myself well enough.
I just wanted to know if, when using the full RDS, and doing hop ´n pops, tail burning can be prevented by directly throwing out the handdeploy without ANY freefall, instead of a for example 5 second delay.
No concerns, I didn´t want to use the full RDS on a tandem video ;)

If packed incorrectly the line burn will happen regardless of the delay.

whether it is for training jumps or competition. It is almost useless to use an RDS that cannot be taken to terminal because there is rarely a competition that allows only subterminal openings. ie if you are first out on a pass of four you need to be taking some sort of delay. depending on the others of course.

The packing is no biggie. just needs to be correct.

Is there any way except of neat packing to prevent this?
I guess that the full RDS is only to use with hop ´n pops... which have really no freefall at all...

search the posts made by skymonkeyone on the subject of RDS. chuck did a nice job describing how he packs the full RDS.

rm

I was taught by Heath Richardson and I have zero damage to my canopy from line burn. My RDS lines are Vectran and were made in the CrossKeys rigging loft to the identical specifications as Heath's and Danny Koon's(which were also made there).

We all know it's not worth the trouble to run full RDS on "regular" skydives in traffic. That said, I have had to take my full system to terminal quite a few times in competition because of being first out or being on second or later passes in an Otter-flown meet. At the inagural meet they had at ASC a few years ago, TJ Landgren and I found ourselves at 10,000 feet having to exit for our round! That happened due to the aircraft having to find a hole to drop us through in the weather. TJ didn't even have an altimeter! We freeflew down to 4.500 feet and I showed him my alti and we dumped.

Ultimately, the worst reason not to use it all the time is the degree of concentration you must focus on removing your system, getting it rolled, and then stowing it. Your hands are totally off your risers/toggles during this process and it can take a full minute to get it done. You really don't want to be doing that in a sky full of canopies. It's bad enough sometimes on a competition pass of four!

What happens a LOT in competition is that even though you are broken down into pull altitudes from "low" to "high", often times the low man will hose you and take a too-short delay. What happens then is that people pile up behind him, all trying to find clean air to reel in their system. The problem worsens further when that "supposed to be low man" finally gets his shit stowed and spirals down, but just doesn't allow enough separation, wanting instead to hang in brakes over the setup. Bunching up makes me nuts, but it happens quite a bit. My point it, if you are going to run full RDS, then you need to practice your removable, rolling, and stowing technique. I know of at least two instances where competitors lost their systems because they weren't deliberate enough in their removal or they dropped it trying to stow it.

Chuck