masterrigger1

Technora (HMA) Users!

For you guys out there now using Technora:

1. Do you feel that the benefits are worth the added costs and will you continue to purchase them based on your limited experience?

2.For the guys using my stuff, how much speed did you pick up.

3. How much distance did you gain on the average?

There has never really been a discussion talking about true numbers here.

I want to compare the "field" data with my numbers here.

Thanks,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service
"The Icarus Service Center"
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Mark, hopefully the weather will be better around my parts and I will get to jump my new lines this weekend and let you know what i thought

They sure do look pretty, i can tell you that much right now! :)
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Hey Mel,

I got 5 jumps on it on Sunday. The openings were much better than my old set. I will reline with you again once these wear out. There's a couple of other dudes out here who were very interested. I told them, when they are ready to come and see me, and for a price I would give them your number. Just kidding. Ryan and I really enjoyed the lines. His FX is a totally different canopy now. It looks much flatter, and his swoops were much farther. I couldn't really get a good look at the top skin for you, as we were both landing on different parts of the landing area. I will keep it in mind though. It was a little windy, but I was still getting some good distances. The biggest thing I noticed, was the last jump of the day. I did a superman, and was able to stay in the position much longer than before with the old lines. I also noticed that I was getting a better shut down out of the canopy, too. All in all I think the cost is a non factor, but from the limited number of jumps I have on it, I will continue to use these lines.

hey mel,

are you experimenting with different trims as well? or have you already changed the trims on vx or velo or xaos's to help make the canopy fly better with the new lines?

i have very little experience with HMA and no experience with yours so i can't give an opinion unfortunetly. they do look pretty though:P
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

hey mel,

are you experimenting with different trims as well? or have you already changed the trims on vx or velo or xaos's to help make the canopy fly better with the new lines?

i have very little experience with HMA and no experience with yours so i can't give an opinion unfortunetly. they do look pretty though:P

yes. I have tried out a few on the vx for him...

Stu,
Yes, we (Joe bennett and myself) have tried some different trims among other things.

Things tried:
Velo- added some line length 5cm,7cm, and 18 cm
- different Brake settings
- slider sizes

VX - Added line length 7cm, 12cm,and 18cm
- different trim

FX- same as VX

The Velo seems to like the stock length and 5cm added length better than anything longer than 5cm.

Brake settings were covered in another thread.

We have had a couple of users want smaller sliders installed as the HMA makes the openings longer.
We worked on that last week.

VX- We have come up with a new trim that I have sent to Jyro in NZ to check out. I have one canopy here with it and it screams.
There is another with the same trim in the Atlanta area. Ryan Clough is currently jumping it.

I will not install this trim on other canopies until further testing is complete.

The VX and the FX do fly better with some added length though. IMHO 12cm is the ticket.

MEL

Hey mel,

very interesting stuff, very cool.

have you done anything with the JVX's with your lines or trims?

also, tell joe i have some "special" video of him from colorado :ph34r: and that if he wants a copy of the video to send me an email or PM.
Slip Stream Air Sports

have you done anything with the JVX's with your lines or trims?

it is perfect, why would you do that?...:D;)

I changed my brake eylet setting on the jvx this weekend, to change the opening a bit. but that is it. I was considering bringing the "d" cascade out about a centimeter or two also. but haven't done that one yet.

it is perfect, why would you do that?...

definitely not perfect, but much better than the standard VX. got to always look for something better, if not, our sport will get stail. and it looks like you're doing that with the changes you've made, so that's good.

you still have your 87? did you end up ordering a 2.0?
Slip Stream Air Sports

you still have your 87? did you end up ordering a 2.0?

yup, still got the 87. I cant afford a 2.0 just yet so I dont have one.:|

but the JVX is very sensitive to minor changes in the lines, from what I have found so far.

and MEL. 1 1/4 inch did the trick on the brake setting. put it at just shy of 186 cm and it is much better. I also changed where I was measuring from which made the change slightly more than I had originally expected.

For you guys out there now using Technora:

1. Do you feel that the benefits are worth the added costs and will you continue to purchase them based on your limited experience?

2.For the guys using my stuff, how much speed did you pick up.

3. How much distance did you gain on the average?

There has never really been a discussion talking about true numbers here.

I want to compare the "field" data with my numbers here.

Thanks,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service
"The Icarus Service Center"

I got your cascaded (UV protected) HMA mainly to get rid of Vectran completely. I got Dacron LCLs so can have peace of mind. The extra speed is very noticable.

rm

Hi Mel

HAve you had many tension knots? I know the newer UV coated lines tend to be a little sticky. that coupled with the realy thin lines made me wonder. I have heard nothing but really positive feed back from your work and Joes. I look forward to recieving some sliders from you both.

Kind regards

Paul Rossouw

Paul,
Tension knots have not been reported as being a problem.

I have not had a single report to that effect.
I am sure someone somewhere as had one though.
As line gets smaller and becomes more like string, the probablity of tension knots grows greatly.

Actually, the actions of properly hooking up the RDS has been less of a problem that I thought would be the case.
I know of two incidents only.

The tackiness of the UV coating goes away in 30-50 jumps usually.

MEL