FFAdventures

Wildwood USPA Nationals

I really had a good time at Wildwood two seasons ago.

Yeah I was chatting to Ian at LW 2 weekends ago and he talked it up too :)
Can't wait! Damn though, August and Sept are going to be busy months :D

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

WHAT IS THE CASH PURSE FOR THE EVENT? Thanks....

The grand prize at the USPA Canopy Piloting National Championships is a gold medal, and the great honor of representing your country, as the best of the best in America, in world competition!

Any cash prizes are determined by a number of factors, including our success attracting sponsors. We will announce that as soon as we know.

Was this response meant to be arrogant? See everyone at nationals!!!!!!!!! :)

I got word from USPA that the new rules will be finalized and available May 1st. They were revamped at the FAI meeting in Stockholm at the beginning of the year, and the committee is working hard to have them available on the USPA.org site.
There will be Open and Intermediate categories.
Where the world comes to skydive!

Just getting word from a few Wildwood motels that they will work with us to provide good discounts that weekend. I will post them here as they confirm, and please check the info on the skydivewildwood site as well. Right now it looks like the Royal Hawaiian is in, but we haven't confirmed the final rate as yet! Things are moving along!
Where the world comes to skydive!

Why does there Have to be Cash Prize for nationals? Winner gets to go world games right? A gold metal isnt good enough?

There doesn't HAVE to be anything. But, dude, do you believe the people standing on that podium deserve it? A champion is hard pressed to survive today...and winners are sacrificing more to help push the sport for greater exposure. Not to mention risking their lives...etc. It all could be considered appreciation from sponsors and whoever else...just imo anyway...

But, dude, do you believe the people standing on that podium deserve it?

Deserve to stand up there? Yes. They showed up and performed the best.

Deserve to get a fat wad of cash? At nationals? Nope. That's not what Nationals is about.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

But, dude, do you believe the people standing on that podium deserve it?

Deserve to stand up there? Yes. They showed up and performed the best.

Deserve to get a fat wad of cash? At nationals? Nope. That's not what Nationals is about.

so why is the canopy piloting side of nationals with the rest of nationals? why in a public forum? that is if it is "just nationals?"

Hey Gang;

The Canopy Piloting event is not being held with the rest of the 2006 Nationals in Eloy due to inadequate facities. By that, I only mean to infer that they do not have a pond that is up to IPC/USPA standards. Anyone who attended the 2004 World Cup (held in LW in early 2005), knows why the correct pond is an absolute must.... we would have had serious injuries to some of the world's best swoopers and at least one certain fatality. I was the meet director at the event and I am proud to be the meet director for these Nationals.

Plesae note that there will be 2 seperate divisions at Nationals, although the IPC is now down to just one division. Minimum requirements have yet to be determined, but I understand that will happen by May 1st.

This event could pave the way for future entire Nationals and possibly even World Meets to be held in public. A cash purse is nice, and I do agree that it is deserved but in the big picture, what we get by doing this is to improve all individual athletes ability to secure their own sponsorship regardless of their placing. I urge all competitors to use the value of a public national competition to find these sponsors, and for many of you there are hometown businesses that can help. A good start is a large local car dealership. They have $$$$ and they can use the support they give you in local advertising. Getting on the podium at Nationals has always been about bragging rights and getting a slot at the next world meet.

Lyle Presse

Nationals has always been about the seeing who was the best of the best, willing to show up jump, compete, and win, without the motivation of any sort of cash compensation. You would like to tarnish that with a "Cash Purse"?

Next I assume you'd like to make the Olymics a "Cash Purse" event?

Contrary to your personal beliefs, it ain't all about money. Check out the history of the USPA Nationals.... hell check out the history of skydiving. "Cash Prizes" are a relativly new thing in the sport. Not always an improvement.

Wildwood has been a cash purse event until this year. Because of Nationals, I would assume. The honor of it is a commendation, of course. I am saying that if some prominent members in the swooping community are concerned about it, then perhaps it is a valid concern. Honor is great...honor and cash is doubly so.

I would sugest that two events are being confused then.

Wildwood (which I thought has honly happened once before) and Nationals AT wildwood.

They really ought to be seperate events.

It would have been nice if SDAZ had made an effort to bid for the event. I am interested to see what happens NEXT year, when it's been suggested that CP will no longer be a "TEST" event. Will DZ's have to provide for it, or will we be back to having seperate events, unless the nationals bit is won by one of the 3-4 DZ's capable of hosting the entire thing.

No a cash event has been held at Wildwood, once i think.

Nationals have never been a cash event. If swooping wants to attract new competitors, I think a no money nationals is a great way to do it.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

^ i don't get

If swooping wants to attract new competitors, I think a no money nationals is a great way to do it.

it makes no sense. there is no shortage of guys wanting to compete in swooping, especially because you can earn $$. only shortage is lack of talent in comparison to let's say 4 way due to the necessary commitment to learn how to do it.

^ i don't get

If swooping wants to attract new competitors, I think a no money nationals is a great way to do it.

it makes no sense. there is no shortage of guys wanting to compete in swooping, especially because you can earn $$. only shortage is lack of talent in comparison to let's say 4 way due to the necessary commitment to learn how to do it.

I don't think its a lack of commitment to learn, it is the consequences of making a mistake. You make a mistake in a 4 way you get laughed at you make a mistake swooping you go to the hospital or worse. Canopies have developed faster than skydivers but every year I see more and more hp pilots, its simply a matter of time before the pilots catch up to the wings available on the market. Keeping pilots alive and well long enough to gain the knowledge and skills is the trick, not commitment. I don't too many skydivers that are more commited than swoopers.

Well you guys could check out skydivecrosskeys.com and I'm sure that skydivewildwood.com would both have on their event calender a "wildwood boogie/ swoop comp!" they are 2 seperate events and they just happen to be swoop comps! Unless someone hasnt yet updated the events page!

I think more people would compete in events where, say, the cost might be lower due to not having to raise money for a pot. A lot of people I have heard say "well Im not going to pay someone elses prize, I'll just stay here and swoop on my own."

Newer swoopers can get very intimidated by money comps. m not saying they are bad, Im just saying I don't think nationals should be one of them.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome