justchrisdsp

samurai vs. crossfire

I have a few hundred jumps on a samurai and a few hundred jumps on a crossfire 2 and I love both of them. The crossfire 2 is my personal reccommendation though, for its softer more on heading openings than the samurai and it also has a longer recovery arc and greater bottom end flare. I went crossbraced after flying my crossfire 2 for a while and it was the perfect transition canopy.

Fly them both though. You'll love either one, but flying them is the only way to see what you like.

Cheers,
Travis

I would say...

Get a demo Crossfire2 in the size you are jumping...and then see if you can get a samurai with the swoop lineset in the size you are jumping...and then see which one you like better...

it is such a personal choice...

That being said...I love love lvoe my crossfire2...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I had a Sam 170 and just started jumping a Crossfire 2 150. The Sam is an excellent canopy but I prefer the Crossfire. The openings on both are very good but the Crossfire is even a little more stable than the Sam. The Crossfire is certainly a slower opening canopy. The recovery arc of the Crossfire is longer. Riser pressure seems to be about the same to me. I much prefer the landings of the Crossfire, much stronger flare. I should point out though that I am not swooping it much. Occasionally I will do double fronts or a slight turn but most of my landings are not speed induced.

Hey Chris, you know what I'm going to say ;)

But seriously:

had a Sam 170 and just started jumping a Crossfire 2 150.

The recovery arc of the Crossfire is longer. Riser pressure seems to be about the same to me. I much prefer the landings of the Crossfire, much stronger flare

Its hard to compare 2 canopies of different sizes like that. You probably could say the same things comparing a SAM 170 to a SAM 150, or a XF2 170 to a XF2 150.
Remster

I have ~600 jumps on my sam120 and only a "brief introduction" to xfire119, so this is not very fair to make a comparison ;)
But anyway, my impressions are:
xfire - much softer openings (too snively for my taste though :P )
sam - openings more on heading (in fact almost always exactly on heading)
sam is much lighter on front risers and seemed to have much more oversteer in riser turns. Xfire was less snappy in toggle turns (maybe because of different line length)
Recovery arch...well about the same, although I felt that sam dives longer, but that's maybe because I'm used to it. Xfire may have a bit stronger flair, but it is difficult for me to be sure for the same reason.
What I found really different is the slow flight. The sam just stays in the air forever B| I can't really explain that - maybe it feels so because the wing stays pressurized longer (airlocks)?

Which one would I choose now? It was a tough choice then and it would be tough now! ;) Both are great canopies. But Brian's designs have that cult following which works great for selling :)