somethingbitme

Straight-In Velocity landings

Hi all.
I have less than 500 jumps on my 79 Velocity, my wing loading is 1.75. In the past I have done quite a bit of harness turns, that is what makes me happy up there, with enough altitude to play. I never learned to do hook turns or even fronts I haven't really done much of. I have been having really sweet landings just coming straight in nice and high, my landings feel so good to me I can't imagine them needing to change. I would like to get some feedback from experienced canopy pilots. I hear a lot "Oh you need to do hook turns, you will like your landings so much more." But I am thinking, if it ain't broke, why should I fix it:o? To me, flying my canopy is far more exhilerating than being in freefall, and my canopy is the funnest thing in my life! I really scared myself and the drop zone a while back when I was harness turning into high winds on final. Jay M. said start learning double fronts to build up speed in high winds, but I haven't yet done that, I have just been coming straight in even in winds nice and high and I have been having picture perfect landings. I would really like to hear from people. So what do you guys think? And if there are other chicks out there coming straight in I'd like to hear from you. Thanks everyone!:)

Hi all.
I have less than 500 jumps on my 79 Velocity.... I never learned to do hook turns or even fronts

i know i have no buisness asking but i can't help it. Why did you choose to fly a Velo without even learning how to perform high speed landings? Why go cross-braced?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I am not here to justify myself to you......Viking.

good god girl I wasn't asking you to. Look at my jump numbers why would you have to justify yourself to me? I'm just curious why your flying a velo.

*picks up severed head and tries to reattach it*

What are you saying? That one has to know how to hook turn in order to fly this canopy? I like how my canopy flies, how it opens and how it lands. I am not here to justify myself to you......Viking.

You dont have to explain or justify yourself to anyone, of course... but i am just curious... Why would you want to jump a Velocity, especially at such a low wingloading, since you are not making "performance turns" and getting it to do what it's designed to do?

Dont say openings, cause we know that there are WAAAY better opening canopies out there :)

Edited to add... wow, even girls got canopy egos! :) I thought egos came with a pair of balls and a slighlty smaller then average penis
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Well most of my jumps have been on Jedei's. My last canopy was a 92 Jedei. And I just fell in love with my Velocity as soon as I jumped it. My husband has 9000+ jumps and he was happy, and is happy that I don't do hook turns. But he has his own reasons. And he is across the ocean right now, that is why I am trying to have this conversation with you all instead of him! I am quite happy flying my canopy the way I want to fly it. Which is pretty conservatively.

This is truly interesting to me. I don't know one other person who flies a Velo and does straight in approaches. A Velo at that loading and straight in appraoches really makes no sense. There are SO many other canopies that will perform MUCH better at that loading for all aspects of flight, including openings, turns, dives, landings and flare.

But, to each their own, and if someone wants to fly a Velo at that loading, there is nothing "wrong" with it. But if you have no intention of high performance turns as well and have never developed your canopy piloting to atleast some level of that, then there is absolutely no point. If you say it is because you like the way it opens, flies and lands, I will say that the Sabre2 will do all those thing much better at 1.75, so why a Velo?

I am not bashing here, I am truly interested in WHY you chose the Velo.

That's funny 'picks up severed head'. okay peace viking. i can only say that my velocity treats me very well. it is a good canopy. jumping with a lot of weight on my head, the openings are so nice, and I have the softest landings of my life on this canopy.

I will forget the other reply as this was all i was asking.

All I can say is that I love this canopy. I have jumped a lot of different canopies, and this one I just fell in love with. Since most of my jumps are videos, the canopy flight is most often the only time of the jump that is truly mine, and I get a huge rush just flying conservatively! That is the only reason that I have!!

Well, I have to agree that the Velocity is the greatest canopy ever made, and if you love everything about it the way you are flying and loading it, I guess I can't argue. It just has been my experience with the Velo that with loadings under 1.8 it really didn't fly that great as far as performance and flare.

As far as learning "hook" turns, I think you would be making a huge mistake to start learning on a Velocity. You are in a little bit of a grey area as far as what I think of it. On one hand, if you just like the way it flies and are content on doing straight ins, then I say more power to ya. On the other hand, it IS a Velocity, so even if you don't intend to do certain landings, you can still make a mistake with it, so having the most high performance canopy PD makes with no intention of using it for what it was designed really is not worth the risk versus reward.

I would not suggest trying to learn any new approach techniques at this point. Put a bunch more jump on it and then start some double fronts when you are completely comfortable and get with a canopy caoch about how to progress.

Like I said, it seem to me that you kinda skipped a stage with your canopy flight and choice of canopy, so I am not sure what to tell you other than repsect that canopy. It is never doing what one intends that kills them. It is when we make mistakes. I would say if you start to get interested in high performance landings, take a step back with canopy choice. If not, don't let others tell you you have to change anything that you don't care about changing.

All just my opinion, so take what you will from it. Just trying to offer an outside insight for you to consider.

Since most of my jumps are videos, .....
I get a huge rush just flying conservatively!

You dont feel kinda like you bought a ferrari and now using it to go grocery shopping?
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

No. I would not say that there is any danger from lack of speed. My biggest concern is that you may get into a situation that was not expected or make a mistake, where not having a full understanding of what the Velocity will do, where it could really bite you. Like I said, good intentions are not enough to keep us safe with canopy flight.

Well I would have to say I always do great when everything goes as planned. HaHa. But seriously, I do harness turns onto final, I am turned into the wind by 800 feet. Am I potentially not loading the canopy enough for it to stay pressurized? Are my lines going to go slack? I apologize, I don't know a lot about swooping. It certainly feels to me like I am going fast enough!

I think I know how fast things can happen under this canopy:o. The main reason why I posted this is because I want to learn. What am I giving up by not hooking it? What does this canopy need that I am not giving it? Why would I need to go any faster than I am going when I am in my pattern in no wind. Please help me learn! Brian Germain? Are you out there?!;)

It just has been my experience with the Velo that with loadings under 1.8 it really didn't fly that great as far as performance and flare.

Chris,
I agree with everything you have stated here. Unfortunately in fact, PD had not made a Velocity under 75 sq ft whe I decided to purchase one over 3 years back. This put me at a 1.7 WL, however I had flown my safire109 for over 500 jumps and learned to front riser and 'hook' 180's to the best of my ability at this point.
No doubt I could have gotten more performance out of a higher WL, but for what it's worth, 1.7 taught me a lot in transition from a slightly elliptical to a full x-braced canopy. It was a good transition to a 2.1 which I am flying now.

However, I had the exact same question Viking asked in reply to her 1st post, I was just too weenie to ask.
If I had a choice in parachute, it would be the Velo hands down. Just wish I was fatter... for wingloading's sake at least ;)

wow how many jumps that thing have on it now? I think Derek had put 500+ on it at this point three years ago.

Hmm, I'd venture to say I've put close to 200 on it so far. It had new HMA lines put on when I got it. Unlike Derek, I do take it over water though (see avatar)... and I think I was the first :D to get the poor thing a little damp.