CrystalM

Canopy Control / Swoop Camp @ SKYDIVE THE FARM, Jan.28-29

- Are you interested in becoming a more proficient canopy pilot?

- Are you interested in learning how to swoop?

- Are you in interested in competing in canopy piloting competitions?

If you answered yes to any, or all, of the above questions then we have the answer! Skydive the Farm, the Southeast's premier swoopers dropzone, will be hosting a canopy skills camp on January 28th-29th with World Cup runner-up Paul Rossouw, World Record distance holder Mark Shimell, and the 2005 CPC Champion Brian McNenney, who is a member of Team Fastrax Swoop, as your coaches. These 3 canopy pilots have several years of successful competition training and experience between them from the CPC, to the PST, to the World Cup!

This camp will be geared towards learning the art of competition swooping. All three competiton courses will be set up (Speed, Distance and Accuracy) and students will run these courses and their coach will video debrief the jump from exit to touchdown. This is a perfect opportunity for up and coming swoopers who want to compete in the upcoming CPC season to learn from 3 seasoned successful CPC competitors.

There will be a small registration fee + jumps for the camp. There is also a discount for those that pre-register. There will be a classroom session early Saturday morning discussing everything from pattern flying to proper gear. Then the jumping begins with one coach in the plane and two coaches on the ground with video cameras. We will debrief as a group as this way you learn from others as well. Jumps will all be from 5000ft. To pre-register for this camp, or for more information please contact Mark Shimell at 770-314-9828. Pre-registration can be paid in cash or check with Mark, or contact him for information on how to pre-register with a credit card.

World Record distance holder Mark Shimell

Exactly how long did he hold that title? In seconds, please. :P

C'mon. He's a bad-ass swooper (and simply a bad speller :P), but advertising him as the world record holder in distance is just a little disingenuous, don'tcha think?

That pedantic rant out of the way, it does sound like a damn fun weekend. Have fun y'all.

ya, that should be former..

all of 3 minutes i think.:S

i really need peeps to "pre-register" if your interested in this, so i can make sure to have all these coaches here.

i need a minimum of 12. so lets get it going, it will be worth it.

the southeast represented with 7 of the top 10 spots in the cpc finals. we want to show you what we know so you can keep the southeast on top.;)

I do not care if he is former or current world record holder, the point is that he knows he's stuff.
how much will the camp run for? Money wise.

all of 3 minutes i think

Wow, you lasted longer as a world record holder than (I'm told) you do in bed! :D

I'm definitely interested Mark. Let me know cost, etc. I can't commit 100% until closer to that time though... depends on work and 'responsible' stuff I have to do once in a while.... I'm definitely interested though!

January, huh? Man, that pond is going to be cold! Hmmm, Polar Bear Club?

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Wow, you lasted longer as a world record holder than (I'm told) you do in bed!

lol.. i dont know who would tell you that.

p.m. sent

jeff, if you dedicate to swooping. i would love to see you in a few years under a crossbraced 111.!!!! you would go a LONG way!!B|

i would love to see you in a few years under a crossbraced 111.!!!! you would go a LONG way!!

Loading a Velo 111 at 2.43 (with no weights) is certainly fun to think about, even if it is a long way off! :)
I've got more than enough learning to do on my current canopy though.... [:/]

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

just to clear up some confusion, this camp is "geared" towards those who want to "learn" how to swoop competitively, and for those that know competition but want to hone there skills better.

we also are not turning away anyone who just wants general canopy control advice/coaching.

Hey this sounds like the perfect thing I've been looking for. I don't have any experience swooping but really want to learn. I can't gaurantee if I can make it at this point but am going to do my best. I mean for those jan. dates. I'm psyched just thinking about it. Thanks!!!***is it dark yet?
is it dark yet

I don't have any experience swooping

Camps like this should be for people wanting to learn how to swoop gates not learning how to swoop. One needs to build proper basic canopy control skills before they learn to swoop. Then they need to learn how to swoop before the they attempt to run gates. Then they need lots of time in the lower stress time of practice running gates before they ever think of running gates in the (I've got to make it) higher stress times of competition.

There are no short cuts to competitive swooping.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

First of all I am not looking for any kind of short cut to anything! Maybe I wouldn't ever want to compete ever at all. This is the exact attitude I've been getting. I really thought this might have been "acceptable" for me. I am so tired of the run around on this whole DAMN thing already. What happened to not turning away just the average person? Besides don'tchya gotta start somewhere or is this one of those "YOU GOTTA KNOW SOMEONE" to get in thing. FUCKIN' A" already. Thanks for maybe saving myself some embarassment. Your loss..not mine..Gates to Hell I say
is it dark yet

Easy there big fella. I wasn't aware that Mark and the other guys were willing to work with people on their basic swooping skills. I thought they were working on more advanced stuff like running gates. Plus I have no issues with people wanting to become swoopers. It's just that certain progressions should be followed. Good luck with your goals ... just be smart and know that unless you're winning PST events, there will always be someone out there better than you (a comment which applies to everyone).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

we are going to be working with beginners, cpc competitors, and advanced. as of now i think i have one beginner one cpc competitors and one VERY advanced pilot.;)

there are multiple coaches, so we are able to do this. also, if there is enough peeps interested, i have other "pro" qualified pilots i can bring in to help out.

Listen I guess I took it out on you but it did turn me off after reading the first post by CrystalM making me feel like I could fit into a part of this. By the way I'm not a fella dude. All Girl! I don't know at this point what I'm gonna do but thanks for all your input even if it did bust my bubble. Honesty does that. Just try to stop me doing 100mph on my suzuki.Cheers.
is it dark yet

Hey I believe this could be just for you. One has to start somewhere and this would be a great stepping stone.

I had just about the same number of jump you have, when I really wanted to start doing more and becoming a better canopy pilot.

Between negative influences, “Girls cannot fly canopies...,” and mostly myself not asking for correct advise my progression went very slowly.

Now do not get me wrong, I learned tons of stuff flying and basically teaching myself, but after competing in last year CPC, I have learned more in the past few months then I have in the past 1000 jumps.

I say do it, Just be safe, and take baby steps, but with advise and coaching. You will learn more in this one weekend then you probable could on your own in a few months.

Also you will have multiple people showing you multiple different things that will help you improve, no matter where you are at in your progression.

There will be other Girls too.... ;)

Hope to see ya their,

Kat