diablopilot

Who's coming to Nationals?

I don't know. I can find nothing about it in the published rules, but I'm told the add-on weight restriction exists.

Don't much like the no drag in accuracy for Standard class either.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I don't know. I can find nothing about it in the published rules, but I'm told the add-on weight restriction exists.

If it's reasonable I have no issue with it. If I can't wear 25 pounds of lead I'd take issue with it.

Unfortunately can't make Nats for Canopy Piloting (long story :(), but I will be there in CO - weights and all ;)

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Anyone hear of weight restrictions in standard class?

just my opinion, but if swoopers can't wear any weight then i don't think any of the other competitors should be allowed to wear weights, like 4-way, 8-way, crw, anyone

granted i'm not coming and i don't wear any lead because i'm fat, but hey i'm just stating my opinion damnit :P ya know......

later

Good point Kelly. I understand the reasoning behind not allowing weight in the standard class, but I don't think it's the right solution. I've worn 18lbs all year for swooping, and I don't want to jump my current canopies without it. If I can't wear weight, I'm more tempted to borrow someone else's smaller canopy to compete with. Now which is more dangerous, me jumping the same way I have been all year, or borrowing someone else's main? It's obvious. Maybe the restriction, if there must be one in the standard class, should be a flat out wing-loading restriction instead of an added-weight restriction.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

no drag? as in no dragging water?

what the hell for?

Clarification: In standard class accuracy initial rounds there are no points for dragging water, however no penalty either.

As for the weight, NONE will be allowed in standard class.

Well, I'm really glad I'm not able to attend that event then.

As stated before, unreasonable amounts of weight I can understand, but not allowing me to wear 20 pounds (or even 10) and INSTEAD encouraging me to jump a smaller canopy is BS.

Not to mention that this SEVERELY hampers female competitive pilots - granted right now there aren't a boatload of them but I expect to see more emerge in the next few years.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I usually don't wear weight (Fat kids get no love), but it sucks for those who do.

No kidding. I lost 30 lbs last year (to look good for the ladies:P) and coincidentialy that's about how much lead I've been wearing lately on my larger canopy.

Well it will be fun anyway...

great more restrictions on a sport based on freedom, that makes sense.

i agree with Ian, too much weight shouldn't be allowed on any level in my opinion but then again who says what too much weight is? personally 10-20 pounds isn't too much, 35-40+ is however too much weight in my opinion. but that's just me and everyone is allowed their percpective on the situation.

who knows maybe there will be another PST type tour that has no restrictions and people will start competing there as well.

good luck to all those going to nationals by the way, that should be a blast. and i'll see some of you in colorado.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

who knows maybe there will be another PST type tour that has no restrictions and people will start competing there as well.

There already is, but you have to come over to Europe to compete ;)

What's standard class? Sorta like intermediate?

I guess some restrictions on weights will be unavoidable, but no weights at all sucks and is not logical. We have an added rule for our next competition at Lake Bussloo (Teuge): everything over a certain weight must be releaseable. I think the limit for non-releasable weights is 10 kg (22 lbs) but really not sure on that figure. Since some people have weights in their rig that won't be releaseable, but for the rest it's the smart thing to do, over water. As far as I'm concerned this new "rule" of ours makes sense, but I think yours doesn't [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

how many guys on the european tour are loading up with more than 10kg (22lbs) just out of curiosity?

how many guys here in the US are loading up with more than 22lbs?

i'm just starting to load up with wieght and it's less than 20lbs.

how many think a weight restriction is necessary?
i personally don't think it is.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

how many guys on the european tour are loading up with more than 10kg (22lbs) just out of curiosity?

how many guys here in the US are loading up with more than 22lbs?

i'm just starting to load up with wieght and it's less than 20lbs.

Well the reason for our weight limit is that it's over a lake, untill 60m out the water's only 1 m deep. But if you get further out it's (much) deeper. We got (or at least I did) an eye-opener in Duisburg at the World Games... We just don't have many swoopponds out here, in fact ours just got canceled >:( so it's either natural bodies of water or over land. And those natural lakes don't always co-operate...

As far as the weight goes, we have members of PD and Icarus competing, with lots of lead. Bruno and Henny wear a lot of lead. Don't know about the French and Spanish guys. The Belgian guys are mostly starting out and don't wear huge amounts of lead, and our other Dutch guys keep below 10 kg I think. I think the german swoopers I saw and also the Norwegian ones weren't wearing all that much lead either. but the trend is to jump a bigger canopy and put on more lead so as people prorass I think we'll see more and more lead. That is, untill you can't get on an airplane anymore! We need cars to drive between the various euro comps to transport all that lead.... Maybe someone can start a new business: Rent-a-lead :S:ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I do. I don't think anyone with under 1000 jumps (and thus automatically in the Standard class) has any business whatsoever wearing a bunch of weight. What do I consider a bunch of weight? Certainly 20 pounds is.

Those of you who disagree are free to your "freedom of opinion" , but I will state several things unoquivically:

1) If you cannot regularly make the entrance gates and score clean, scoring rounds on 99.99% of your turns, then you are wasting your time up-weighting for extra speed and distance. The intent of the "Standard" IPC/USPA nationals/CPC is to get people accustomed to making gates and flying cleanly. It is not a place where young, non-professional competitors are supposed to be going balls-out, all or nothing, and trying to "be like the PD guys."

2) If you can't jump in a pool that is over-your-head deep and tread water for at least one minute with your competition load on then you are overloaded. I don't want to have to be the guy who rescues you out of the pond at The Ranch or The Farm if you pound in with a ton of lead on.

In the Carolinas CPC league I try very hard to get people to jump their normal canopy at their normal, "regular" skydiving wingload. I would MUCH rather have my guys performing clean turns, make the gates, and have to kite out the back of the course than have them auger in after busting a 360 at 200 feet. You, seriously, don't need to be wearing anything you would not normally wear in order to compete at this level. Clean runs will determine who the top five competitors are in each region, not how far they went after they verticalled the gates.

Now, as to the weight restriction for this meet, I can't help but think that it's going to keep some people away. To those people: I would seriously recommend making it to another professional-grade, open event (like The Ranch PSN). Competing anywhere at the open/pro level qualifies you, assuming you have the requisite amount of skydives, for the Open category at Nationals. Once you have competed in Open, then you are Pro. There were quite a few faces at Nationals in Open last year who I had never once seen at a PPPB/PST event. Some had competed at a RedBull meet or The Ranch, but there were plenty who were not PST guys. With the integration of the PST and several of the overseas leagues, I don't see how the PSI is not going to be able to let anyone who has already competed at that level from participating at any of those meets in the Open/Pro level.

I guess if it is a competitors intent to start swooping competitively as their primary discipline in the PST (now PSI, the fourth naming of the league structure since 1999), then they are going to jump through whatever hoops they are faced with. If that means (Ian, J.P., Lew, etc...) that you are forced to show up at Nationals and not jump lead (assuming you are in the top five from your district), then that's what you are going to have to do. It's a shame that the news of this weight restriction came so late, but once again I am going to have to state that I am really against wingload-management-by-weight at the CPC/USPA Standard level in the first place. I wish you all the best of luck in your decision making process.

Chuck