dharma1976

ahhhhh safety for the invincibles

ahhhhh the younguns, ever thinking they are a member of the superhero team the invincibles, unfortunately our evil nemesis the ground is always laying in wait, waiting for us to become comfortable and forget that she is there.

so my post is this, what can we do to tell the young ones that maybe what they are doing is not proper in a way that they will hear?

What can we do with our friends who tell us no I am allright I dont need to change what I am doing I am a superhero?

Is it that all we can do is watch as our friend hooks it every time getting lucky and sit in wait for the medivac when he/she does do it, or can we in someway tell them, show them our own titanium xrays from our own dealings with our old nemesis, the ground.

CHeers and blues,

Lets keep it inside our bodies folks...

Skyjunky Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Speaking as one of the "younguns" or as we are called here "chilren". We are gonna hook it, we are gonna drive fast, and we are gonna take risks. Its the nature of being young. With age comes wisdom and with youth comes, well, the ability to heal fast. You cannot bend the will of youth nor make us see anything we don't want to. You may, however, be able to guide us with subtle suggestion.
--------------------------------------------------
"But I'm Just doin what I have to do to survive"-MM

Speaking as one of the "younguns" or as we are called here "chilren". We are gonna hook it, we are gonna drive fast, and we are gonna take risks. Its the nature of being young. With age comes wisdom and with youth comes, well, the ability to heal fast. You cannot bend the will of youth nor make us see anything we don't want to. You may, however, be able to guide us with subtle suggestion.

see so am I a young un, but already a bunch of my friends including me...have:

a) broken tib fib
b) gotten put in a wheelchair for the rest of their life
c) broken femur and pelvis
d) died
e) cracked hip joints
f) not listened to the people who have 5000-10000 skydives about maybe trying a different method to learn so that we didnt do the things we did,

All of us learned the titanium lesson (or the casket lesson), which is no fun, and some of us cant skydive, so is it better to be reckless and think you are invincible and not listen to the people who are trying to keep you from doing these things and constantly say things like "I got it" or is it better to listen to someone like a coach or whatnot...or are we going to as a sport try to do things like ground people who are flying out of there ability (not saying jump numbers here people, abililty)

I myself was doing snappy "pull and pray" turns up to when I hurt myself, then I learned the long carving easy to get out of turn, and my life has been easier to say the least.

hope someone gets what I am trying to say here.

Cheers
lets keep it in our bodies
blue skies

Skyjunky Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

We are gonna hook it, we are gonna drive fast, and we are gonna take risks. Its the nature of being young. With age comes wisdom and with youth comes, well, the ability to heal fast.

Don't group us all together, some of us have half a brain and listen to advice and do the right thing when it comes to learning to swoop.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

when i'm asked a question, i give the best/ most accurate possible answer i can give. however, people can be given all the knowledge in the world but it doesn't mean shit unless people apply their newly found knowledge. (please re-read this over and over again until you comprehend this statment. Do you honestly apply what you have just been told?)

I have given out tons of information, stuff that will not only save their lives but will also dramatically improve their performance when it comes to canopy piloting and swooping. however, only a few of them have actually put this knowledge to use and are now literally flying past those that have the same information but chose to ignore it, not use it, or never really took the information in.

basically, if you ask the question we can only give you 50% of what you need even if the answer is spot on. the other 50% (or more) comes from you applying this information.

Just a side note, take all information with a grain of salt and learn from as many people as possible.

this is just my .02 on how to reach the invincibles

I have been guilty of this as well from time to time, not listening to people, but once i put everthing aside and told my self i knew nothing, that is when i actually started to open my ears and mind about this stuff.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Hmmmm....along with the 'trend' of low number jumpers doing silly things under canopy there seems to be an 'allied' breed of those with low jump numbers who have fucked up and like to preach to the former about the error of their ways.....
Dare I say it......with a degree of 'pride' and 'status' over their accident history.

There is also another breed of those who fucked up with low jump numbers who only chime in with totally appropriate comments ...when appropriate....kudos

The more I learn about this canopy game.....the more i realise I need to listen to those with ALOT of jump numbers for 'considered' advice and sensible opinions ( over the net)

Fucking up and getting healed does not qualify anyone to become an 'authority' on what they got wrong or on the abilities of others in my humble opinion.....it merely shows you fucked up and now have some prosthetics, and hopefully have some personal growth from the experience

No offence intended to anyone....just an observation

none taken, but if people who have fucked up see others doing the same fuck ups that they did, well lets see, hmmm should we keep our mouths shut, or open it, saying what we did and why and how similar it looks.

I got very lucky with my personal leg barometer, it is only a small plate with a pin, my skydiving family member did not gt so lucky.

I jsut wish there was more of a way to show people, maybe we should all put our removed metal pieces and or casts and or xrays up at the dropzone to show people how serious it is ;)

anywho

Cheers
blues
lets keep the bones and blood inside ;)

Dave

jsut wish there was more of a way to show people, maybe we should all put our removed metal pieces and or casts and or xrays up at the dropzone to show people how serious it is ;)

some people must learn the hard way or won't learn at all.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I am not grouping all of the young jumpers together, just those who think they are invincible. I am still a young jumper (22) but when I was even younger I took all advice as a personal attack. You couldn't tell me anything with out me pulling one of those "I GOT IT" things. I got hurt because I let my pride push me into being stupid. (and believe me I got hurt alot).

I have since realized two things, one, that some advice will not only save my life but will make me better as well; and that pride goes alot quicker when you have to explain an injury than it does when you humble yourself and take advice. However, some people still give advice in generalizations, "if you have X jumps you should be flying no smaller than X canopy", its just stupid to think that way. There are prodigys in canopy flight just like in anything else.

As long as someone has the invincible attitude, young or old, you may as well be talking to a brick wall. The trick is to make them realize that they are not invincible, they will in turn seak you out for advice.
--------------------------------------------------
"But I'm Just doin what I have to do to survive"-MM

As long as someone has the invincible attitude, young or old, you may as well be talking to a brick wall. The trick is to make them realize that they are not invincible, they will in turn seek you out for advice.

:)
that has to be one of the most real statements i've heard in awhile.:)

I've found that with my son (who is not a skydiver, but who is young and had some all-knowing periods), giving him information when he didn't need it made it easier for him to use it as though it were his own when he did.

Of course, if they're already to the point of needing all possible information (as is probably the case with the young man who passed us doing wheelies on the city street, and then both went up on his front wheel and then hopped his motorcycle), it might take injury. Billvon said that there are some where you hope they femur before they kill themselves, because it's the only thing they take seriously, and it's generally curable.:(

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)