RADskydiver

Anyone know CPC results colorado 7/16?

The fourth competition in this years Colorado Canopy Piloting Circuit was held last Saturday the 16th of July, at Mile Hi Skydiving center in Longmont, Colorado. The day started out at 8:00 am with a competitors brief announcing what aircraft would be used from Mile Hi's extensive fleet. The order of events, and the exit order for competitors was also briefed. The rules were re-iterated, and safety procedures were refreshed in everyones mind. There were seven competitors and there were no major injuries to speak of.

The first event was Zone Accuracy. In the Zone Accuracy event the competitors had to fly through entry gates and shut there canopy down in a certain zone to gain points. Dragging a toe from the entry gates up to the Zero zone allowed the competitors to gain bonus points. Touching down in the Zero zone resulted in zero points scored for that run. However there were three positive scoring zones after the Zero zone. Beyond Zone three were penalty zones. Sliding into or landing in these zones resulted in a subtraction of points from your score. The conditions for these two jumps of Zone Accuracy were tricky, as there was no wind, and it was getting hotter by the second out in the landing area. Keep in mind that Mile Hi's landing area is at 5,500' MSL, so the hotter it got the higher the density altitude got, causing the canopy's to stop flying at a higher airspeed. The problems the competitors were getting in this event was being able to shut their canopy's down, and not overflying into the penalty zones. Several competitors had great runs but slid into the penalty zones, causing a subtraction from their score. Aubrey Cundall had the right idea by popping his canopy up and then sinking straight down into the zone of his choosing. This was a difficult feat as again there was no wind for either of the two jumps for the Zone Accuracy event.

The next event was the Distance event. In this event the concept is really simple. He who goes the farthest, while still making the entry gates, wins. Again the conditions were still complex, as there was a slight quartering cross to head wind for these rounds. The density altitude was still rising, so it was getting faster out there. Denver International Airport reported 101 as the hi temperature on Saturday. With the DA rising so fast, some of the competitors were having a hard time with making the gates. A lot of them were having to bail off the rears and go to toggles, as their canopy's were diving quite a bit more than they were used to on the previous jumps. Ryan Townsend showed significant improvement in the distance rounds by achieving a personal best in competition of 260+ feet. Great job Ryan. There has been a lot of buzz going on around the Canopy Piloting Circuit as to whethor or not there is going to be records broken up here in Colorado at the CPC Nationals in September. In a past competition here at Mile Hi, one competitor went 402' on a distance run, so only time will tell, but I'm sure it's going to be exciting to see what happens in September.

The last event was the Speed rounds. The objective of this event was to negotiate through a curved course as fast as possible while keeping one part of your body below the gates throughout the course, and not striking any of the ten foot course markers. Striking a marker resulted in a five second penalty being added to the competitors score. By this time the competition aircraft had changed to a twin otter, and it was about as hot as it was going to get for the day. The slight breeze that we had in the distance rounds had picked up a little, but it hadn't decided which direction it want to blow. This didn't deter the competitors from giving it their all. Eric Johnson, jumping a Xaos 84, showed us all how much damage can be done just by the canopy's lines. He clipped the top of one of the foam couse markers with his HMA lines on the Xaos, and it sliced right through the foam like a laser beam! Eric being the Crew Dog that he is, was probably the most impressed at the cutting ability of the line. A sloppy run by one of the final competitors made course clean up very easy as he took most of the course down. He ended up with some good road rash on his left leg, and a badly bruised elbow, but his ego was bruised the most.

The competition ended with David Billings taking first place on a Velocity 94, followed by Jason Russell on a Velocity 96. Grant Adams took third on a Velocity 103. Right on his heals was Aubrey Cundall with a Velocity 96 and fourth place. Steve Armstrong placed fifth on a Velocity 103, Followed by Ryan Townsend on an FX 104, and Eric Johson with a Xaos (21) 84.

None of this could have happened with out the great support from Frank Casseras the owner of Mile Hi Skydiving, the manifest office, and all of the judges. The judges, Jason Tolliver, Lisa, Chris Pope and his girl friend Heather and the others (I appologize for not getting your names), provided fair and accurate scorring. Thanks to all of you, as you do not know how much your contribution to the CPC means to all of the competitors. Also thanks to Jason Tolliver for running the meet, and to Aubrey Cundall, Ryan Townsend, Dave Billings, and Steve Armstrong for helping to set the course up on Friday afternoon. Again a Huge thanks to Ryan Townsend for helping clean up after the competition, after everyone else split. Good luck to all the competitors on the next competition, and in the CPC Nationals.

A sloppy run by one of the final competitors made course clean up very easy as he took most of the course down.

Yeah like 3 feet away from me... I wonder who that person was? :D

I can't wait to judge the swooping over the new pond... at least when you guys chow I'll get a cool, refeshing shower. :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

David Billings taking first place on a Velocity 94

Actually it's a 90. PD doesn't make a Velocity 94.

I had a great time. Looking forward to the National competition. The Density Altitude shouldn't be as bad in September, but it's still going to be fast.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

We must have attended two different swoop meets because I surely don't remember experiencing all the problems you described.

In zone accuracy we had the best scoring runs we've had all season with most competitors scoring points on both runs. Plus I seem to remember a certain competitor coming as close as you can possibly get to the perfect score without getting the perfect score, yet no mention of this in your summary.

In distance every competitor scored points on both runs except for one competitor who verted his first attempt which immediately took him out of the running on the entire competition. So through distance and zone accuracy almost every competitor had run clean. Something we had not seen all season.

The 1st round of the speed course went well with most competitors flying clean and it was only on the 2nd speed round when we changed directions and had the winds to our backs (also flying the rarely used approach didn't help) where some (not all) competitors had trouble. All in all, every competitor has improved as the season progressed (as would be expected) and this competition was very unforgiving of errors. Dave Billings came ever so close to verting twice (but didn't) and won the competition while I verted twice, one which was an obvious fuck up but the other one was only by inches and it bumped me down into 5th place.

So outside of the last speed round, I don't know why you claim ALL the competitors had trouble with density altitude on this day (the density altitude was high, but just because it was high didn't mean that every competitor had trouble with it). I don't remember seeing too many people in the corner. There were a few isolated incidents of people being there, but the skill levels of most competitors has improved greatly (with guys like Ryan and Eric flying better than they ever have) as our season nears it's completion.

Assuming the pond is ever completed, the next and final local CPC comp will be very interesting as nobody is going to be used to the new venue (the new pond). But good luck to all who do compete. I know I'm going to have to become a magician (and pull a rabbit out of the hat) sometime between now and the next competition.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over