Kimblair13

Sabre 135 w/ 25 jumps ~ 1.4 WL

OK...maybe I'm wrong, but there's a kid at my DZ jumping a 135. He went from a 190 to that today. I told him he shouldn't, but he said it was fun and his landing was fine on the last jump. There was gusting winds so I told him that helped out ALOT. Anywho, I don't know what to say to him to get him to stop jumping it. Any ideas? Just this last week he had a cutaway from a 190 from normal line twists. Hope he has fun with that thing when it spins up, it's not gonna keep flying straight.

Well, ultimately it's up to him, as I'm sure you know, and hopefully he learns how to handle the canopy properly before he gets into a bad situation, or he'll learn a lesson the hard way.

"If you're going to be stupid, you'd better be tough."
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Where is the DZO or S&TA at? When I wanted to downsize to fast I had someone there who flat out said "Your not jumping that, period" . Or are those guys to concerned about losing business. If the guy breaks himself your gonna lose his business anyway so someone needs to tell him your not gonna jump that. Well thats my opinion and most of the time it's not worth much. I just think 25 jumps at 1.4 WL is just a bit much. Maybe it would be easier to swallow on a 150 or a 170. Tell this guy I have a 150 Sabre I'll sell him really cheap.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I just think 25 jumps at 1.4 WL is just a bit much.

Unless this kid is an experienced pilot used to the ground rush of landing an ultra high performance airplane, I would put him on the bounce list right fucking now. He's going to mess himself up one day soon trying to look cool for the girls (what girls ... there's one girl for every ten guys at the DZ). Swooping and flying high performance canopies while super fun requires hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of jumps starting on larger canopies and working your way down. Some people are better canopy pilots than others, but there are no short cuts to swooping.

If I see someone with 25 jumps here in Colorado jumping a 135 loaded at 1.4 I'd talk to him and I'd talk to the DZO. Fortunately I don't see that here, yet. A newbie asked me some swooping questions today and I was happy to answer them just as long as he promised to practice what I was about to tell him up high and dedicated jumps towards canopy control before he brought it low to the ground. Knowledge is power. Knowledge is the key to survival in this game.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

"If you're going to be stupid, you'd better be tough."

I think that sums it up right there. You can see how many jumps I have. I have been under a stilleto 120 for 400 jumps now and the stilleto is getting really old and tired. Might have a better life as a car cover. So I started to demo a few canopy's. Tried the Katana. Fun but didnt like it. Tried the Velo, same W/L as my stilleto. Didnt like it. On the Velo I just felt like I was 2 steps behind it the entire ride. Maybe I'm just not experienced enough for it. Jumped the Samurai and love it, comfortable, a lot like my stilleto exceot for having to start my carve a little bit higher. But if I ever had to land in somebodys backyard I would not hesitate 1 bit. I guess my point is dont be dumb and understand what your limits are and accept them. I know I shold not be flying a Velo 103 and I accept it. 120 Samurai will be fine for me and can give me years of fun and exciting swoops.

Have you ever tried a Crossfire2?

Never did try that one. I fell in love with the Samurai and that was the end of that. I knew that it was what I was looking for. It should be delievered this coming week sometime. Doesnt really matter now, I'm nursing a broken toe that I did last week at home on a door frame. As for your Velo 111, please dont sell to him, the ER's are backed up as it is. I spent 6 hours waitting for a simple broke toe and that was supposed to be the "FAST TRACK" line. I didnt understand that fast part but anyway. Sounds like everythings good in Mile-hi. I should be moving back in about 1 1/2 years and I already cannot wait.

not wrong at all do you want pictures of my scar and flosting bone pieces from last year to show him...

btw I now load at 1.33 after another 250 jumps, but back then no good...

I guess the invincible young jumpers dont like to let fact interfere with there opinion eh?

Cheers and Blues

Skyjunky Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I started jumping a Sabre-2 170 @ WL (very) short over 1.3 and I must say that in my eyes this was a bit to early.

I needed ~25 jumps to be able to land it on the spot I wanted. I am sure I will be happy with that WL for several hundred jumps. The only reason to change to an other canopy would be to get exactly the same model with different colors. (mainly black now - don't like that)

Safe landings to you all!
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.