swoopster33

Colorado CPC #2 Results

The Colorado CPC completed round # 2 today. We had 10 competitors, and the competition was very stiff. It has become very apparent you must fly clean on every round and score on every round to have a chance at a top place finish. Congratulations to all the competitors for a great safe and fun event. A special congrats to Aubrey Cundall, Jason Russell, Chris Pope, Dave Billings and Jason Tolliver for all going over 350 feet on a single distance run. HUGE props go to Grant Adams, for setting the new Colorado state distance record with a run of 402!

The final standings are as follows:

Grant Adams -1st
Dave Billings -2nd
Aubrey Cundall -3rd
Jason Russell -4th
Jason Tolliver -5th
Chris Pope -6th
Steve Armstrong -7th
Ryan Townsend -8th
Eric Johnson -9th
Keith Hansen -10th

The next CPC is June 11. Hope to see you all again!

HUGE props go to Grant Adams, for setting the new Colorado state distance record with a run of 402!

What no mention of my stellar performance during the "Garrett Accuracy" event. I'm still disappointed that I wasn't awarded max points for what I did on that jump. Actually in all seriousness, this was a scary incident and I'm happy that both Garrett and myself walked away from it without any serious injuries (I am in pain and I'm sure Garrett is as well). Hopefully a lesson was learned by myself (abort when I mess up my gate alignment during my turn and take a zero ... I mean I got a zero anyway) and this incident definitely messed with whatever confidence I had and I was never able to really produce a nice clean run all day long. But congrats to those who did fly clean and special congrats to Grant for that bad ass 402 foot swoop. He was like the energizer bunny, he just kept going and going.

Thanks for another fun swoop comp Jason (and the people of Mile-Hi). I'm bummed about my own performance today and my confidence did suffer. But I will get back on the horse in a few days and continue practicing. I figure any issues I have competing now shouldn't be there 10,000 jumps from now.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

HUGE props go to Grant Adams, for setting the new Colorado state distance record with a run of 402!

who the f#ck let Grant near a canopy?:P he doesn't even have a job!!

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I believe that any such entry in the record books should have an asterisk next to it. I spoke to Jose Canseco and he claims Grant and himself used to shoot each other up with steroids in bathroom stalls. I would encourage everyone to contact their senator and request that congress look into the matter of steroid abuse in the sport of canopy swooping.

While we're on the subject of asterisks, I would also like one added next to my name in the standings to reflect the presence of a large and cumbersome cast on my left leg.

I'm actively seeking an excuse for the next competition... if anyone has any ideas please let me know

I'm actively seeking an excuse for the next competition... if anyone has any ideas please let me know

You need to use some poster board or something to increase aerodynamics. Ever see those shin guard thingys those downhill racers wear??:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Grant and himself used to shoot each other up with steroids in bathroom stalls.

are you sure those were steroids they were puttin into each other in those stalls? didn't Jose live close to san francisco(said with a lisp) kinda makes ya wonder:P

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Colorado's second CPC was held this past Saturday and Sunday at Mile Hi Skydiving, in Longmont, Colorado. Jason Tolliver did an outstanding job of organizing and running the event. It had three rounds, two jumps each, consisting of Zone Accuracy, Distance, and Speed. 10 jumpers competed in Sundays CPC. They were divided up into two groups of 5, to make things easier for DZ manifest, and so we didn't have big amounts of down time between rounds.

Satuday was designated as the practice day, and Sunday was the actuall event. This worked out well as the weather was rather turbulant on Saturday morning. Fortunatley for the competitors, the weather cleared up in the afternoon, allowing for some practice runs. The Speed, Zone Accuracy, and the Distance course was set up all day long, allowing the competitors to run it after a work jump if they were interested. Some of the landings were video taped and debriefed, which helped the competitors out greatly. About 5 of the competitors participated in the practice day.

Sunday morning came bright and early with a 7:30 am judges brief, and an 8:00 am competitors brief.
The weather was magnificent all day Sunday, as the winds were not very strong, and there was not a cloud in the sky. After the competitors brief, all the participants went out to walk the course and set up for the days events. The first CPC load took off out of an Eloy otter that we have for the summer, at 9:00am.

The first event was Zone Accuracy. There was a 4-5 knot cross wind from left to right accross the course, but it died down after the first round. Even with the cross wind, it was still heating up out there on the course so the Density Altitude was starting to rise. This made the runs very very fast. Many of the competitors didn't take into account the changing conditions from their first to their second jump, and they had to work a little harder to get a nice set up and approach. I was the first out in the second group. The wind had died down quite a bit since the first group got out. I didn't take this into account, and carried a lot of speed into the course. I plopped down at the end of zone 2 and slid all the way into zone 5, so I ended up with a 0 for the first round of Zone Accuracy. Not the best way to start the day, but it was a good jump none the less. Many of the other competitors didn't have a stellar first jump either, but I think they were just getting the bad ones out early! Dave Billings ended up dominating the Zone Accuracy event, with two great runs. After the Zone Accuracy rounds, the course was set up for the distance runs.

There was an excitment in the air as we entered our Distance event. It was getting hotter outside, and the wind had died down to next to nothing. It felt like the DA was getting close to 8,500', as these rounds were FAST!!! Again I was first into the course, and everything fell into place on this run. I had a bunch of power when entering the course, and it really carried over to the distance. I had my personal best distance run on that one. Many of the other competitors had their personal bests on these rounds too. Jason Tolliver came in right behind me with 380'+. Everyone learned a lot in the Distance event, even the judges. When Jason and I came through the courses, there were not many judges that far down the course, so they had to scramble to make their marks!!! The next event was Speed.

The speed event is a 185' carving course. This course was set up with a tighter carve than the last CPC had. Before the first runs of the speed event, there was a lot of speculation about how many noodle strikes there would be. Having a noodle strike could be very detrimental to your score, as it added 5 seconds to your time. Many of the competitors had the strategy of flying through the course slightly higher than they did for Zone Accuracy, and Distance. This allowed them to get their canopy over a little more for the tighter turn of the course. The temperature was still rising out in the landing area, which meant the DA was still rising, and the wind was calm for the first jump of the Speed event. As many had speculated, there were an incredible amount of marker strikes on the first jump, but everyone got that out of their system for the second jump. The second jump had the competitors running the course backwards from what they had been running all day. I had to remind my self under canopy to approach the course from the East instead of the West. I didn't want to have a great run, but score badly because I went the wrong way! By this time we had a 5-7 knot head wind for the second jump, so many of us had to kite our canopy's a few feet to finish out the course. There were only a few noodle strikes on the second round as many of the competitors had figured out how to set up and run the course cleanly.

With any competition, safety is paramount, and the Colorado CPC's are no exception. There was a little turn bufoonary in the beggining of the competition, but nobody got hurt the entire event, with exception to some sunburns. (I will have to admit, I am a little sore today though.) I saw some amazing flying by all the competitors out there yesterday, and they all did great. I would be very surprised to hear that somebody didn't have a fun time, at the event, and I would be even more shocked to hear that somebody didn't learn anything. There were a lot of personal bests in the event, and a few personal worsts (like my 0 in the first round), but over all I think everyone had a great time.

I would like to thank Mile Hi for hosting the Colorado CPC. With out the DZ's support, this probably wouldn't have happened. It definatley would NOT have happened, with out Jason Toliver. He has worked very hard and put in countless hours into making the CPC in Colorado a reality. I would also like to thank all of the competitors for coming out, and competing, but I would love to see more people come and have fun. Remember, you don't need to be a skygod with thousands of jumps and a cross braced canopy to come out and give us a run for our money! Last but not least, I want to thank all of the judges, and video people who ran around after us in the sun all day long. Without you I couldn't have fun, so THANK YOU!!!

Grant S. Adams

Garrett was a judge who was not in the proper position.

From watching the whole thing happen from the video position, Garrett was told to grab the noodle the previous competitor broke. He did not have time to fix the broken wood dowel, so he held it at the entry gate keeping his body well on the outside of the course.

A competitor brushed him very fast with a foot… That competitor apologized profusely and took 100% of the blame. Garrett said he did not hit the deck because he rather take the blow on the side of his torso instead of the face, and lowering his body would have put his jaw in the line of fire.

I think it is incredibly rude to blame Garrett for not being in the proper position when he was doing what he was told to do by someone else and he is not a trained expert, nor am I, just a volunteer. I even viewed the tape between rounds to see what happened, and it happened so fast it looked like he was hit with a bullet, not a human. The tape is Hollywood in nature, you don’t see the impact, just the aftermath.

I thought the competitor who hit him did the most professional thing I saw all day, and ran back to Garrett, dragging his canopy in the dirt, pulling up weeds with his canopy nose, apologizing and making sure he was OK. Then he publicly told everyone what he learned and how he almost hurt himself and someone else real bad. That impressed me… In this world of egos (and I mean world wide, not just skydivers) everyone screws up once in a while, owning up to your mistakes is real noble. Kudos to the competitor who has gone out of his way to tell others how he should have taken zero unharmed than take zero and hit a judge. That is an awesome attitude in my opinion. I wish the person (and I really don’t know who it is) – who took out more than one noodle on the pass before would have realized how he started a chain reaction by not being in control.

In retrospect, the course should have been closed… No one should tell a judge to hold a noodle at the entrance gate (or in this case, multiple noodles). But with only seconds between competitors, I can’t blame anyone for it happening so fast. Since more than one noodle was broken, no one had time to analyze the situation… So, I would beg that that rules be changed for the next event… No noodle holding – if you can’t fix it, the course is closed until it is fixed.

From the vantage point of video where I was able to see the wide screen view - that round was scary. As they say in 4way, "it was over the line". After seeing the whole CPC 1 and 2 from the same viewpoint (the video position where I get to see the big picture) – I would say we had more than one lucky competitor not to get hurt on that round… It was the only time thus far I thought, “this is getting out of hand.”

This is just coming from someone who is having fun watching you guys, and even likes hanging out with you guys… But, dude, there were four people to blame for this incident. #1 the competitor who hit the judge. #2 the person who told Garrett to hold the noodle. #3 the competitor who took out multiple noodles seconds before. #4 the rules themselves for not addressing this safety issue. And of course, Garrett for putting himself in harm's way for you guys.

Just my two cents. I would not have said anything if you did not spin it the way you did. Perhaps I am just edgy tonight, so I apologize in advance for being defensive… But, I am glad this came up because the whole procedure did have me a little concerned for next time around…

True several issues need to be addressed. I too have hit someone, and it didn't turn out as well as Garrett and Steve, but It could have been a lot worse though. I talked to Garrett right after it happened, and I mentioned that if a competitor is coming right at you, then it might be a good idea to move. I know we have always been taught to not move, but sometimes the pilot has quite a few things on his mind at that point, so maybe stepping away from the action could help all involved. You bring up some great points, and I hope the organizers will address them at the next comp. So let the internet debate begin, To Move or Not to Move? That is the question!

I looked at the tape right after it happened… The perks of being the video operator/judge…

I think he would have moved... But, when someone is coming in so quickly on a hook turn and at the very last second moves into the line of path of the judge, he did not have time to move... This was a 50 MPH event, not a slow student canopy coming in... Moving could have made things worse, we will never know…

Judges don't stand near the noodles and competitors, don’t yell to the judges to hold the noodles. Other people changed course real quickly when they hit the noodles with their lines, so even if a judge is watching the vector of travel, direction can change too quickly to manage too.

Anyway, no hard feelings...

So, I would beg that that rules be changed for the next event…

I've already sent an email to our organizer concerning changing our policies towards this sort of incident when the wooden dowel is broken and there is not enough time to replace the noodle. And that is to either close the course to the remaining competitors on the load or to allow the competitors to run the course with only one entry gate. But nobody should be holding up entry gates.

The collision was all my fault. I should have aborted. Plus we as competitors need to start showing better judgement as to when we can salvage a botched turn and when to abort. My botched approached wasn't the only bad approach made that day, several other competitors did similar things.

Yes Garret shouldn't have been where he was, but it wasn't his fault. He was only doing as he was told. And while the initial competitor who took out the noodle probably should have aborted as well, he by no means should be blamed for what happened between Garret and myself. I'm just glad my foot did not strike Garret in the head. That would have been bad. But fortunately this is one of those incidents that we can learn off of with only minor injuries instead of serious ones. I'm still hurting from my crash and would like to see video of the non-entry gate version if it does exist.

But you're right that the entry gate version looks like Garret gets shot because my body is nothing more than a blur in the video. I'm faster than a speeding bullet. But not as fast as Spizzz because ... well I didn't hang out with Jose Canseco like he did. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

But not as fast as Spizzz because ... well I didn't hang out with Jose Canseco like he did.

and that brings it back on topic.
I was starting to worry that we were simply going to gloss over my unfounded allegations. There's simply no way that that swoop was an "unenhanced human" performance. At first, I accused him of being an animal, but after speaking to Canseco, everything just seemed to fall in to place.

Any attempts at denial just serve to strengthen my conviction of his guilt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is incredibly rude to blame Garrett...

Grant is just a rude kinda guy...not to mention that ego...geez

I guess you guys know me all to well...

As far as it being rude to blame Garrett, I didn't intend for all the blame to go to him, I was just going to answer another persons post, and let Steve fill in as much of the details as that he wanted to. So TDOG I hope you are still not on edge, and defensive. These things happen. Like I said I have hit someone before, and it sucks. It also takes two people to get into a colission like that.