Widgeon

Alternative to the CPC?

your likely to get the reply that somone with your skill level doesnt need to be adding the pressure of competing..

but to counter that, you learn alot competeing..

nobody is going to have a sanctioned event for peeps at your skill level... it is just too risky.

Becuase the CPC has no division specifically for non-crossbraced canopies, where would some one start if they wanted to begin competing on a more even field?

The CPC.

You DO NOT need a cross braced canopy to win (certainly not in a regional event - the finals maybe).

If you're going in to your first season of competing to 'look cool' or 'thinking you're going to win' that's the wrong attitude. Nothing wrong with shooting high, but go in with an expectation to learn and be a better pilot.

Anyway, while I believe you have to have 500 HP jumps to compete in the CPC standard class, there's nothing stopping you setting up some courses at your DZ to practice on though. Good way to learn.

Stay safe, practice hard.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Considering, that your diet will be pretty much limited too bread and water due to your youthful indescretions. You might want to consider downsizing again in order to even have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Considering your nickname, that won't be a problem :)
Say hello to bubba.:o
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

If you're serious about becoming a competitive swooper do three things:

1) Seek qualified coaching.

2) Be patient.

3) Get some entry gates set up at your DZ.

The CPC is ultra cool for those of us who have the luxury of jumping where the CPC is available, but it really comes down to practice, practice and well practice. I wouldn't be where I am today (which is pretty much nowhere) if it wasn't for the fact that entry gates have been setup at my DZ for a while now. Hitting the entry gates is NOT easy. It takes practice. But swooping into a big open field is boring now that I've been hitting gates for the last few hundred jumps.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Someone would start with a lot of coaching and a lot of practice.

GET COACHING and master the basic skills of canopy flight (brake turns, flat turns, accuracy landings, downwind landings, crosswind landings, toggle turns, harness, turns, riser turns, etc.).

Coaching is important because people tend to get a skewed perception of their own performance (ie. you think you're consistantly hitting the gates and going 250ft, when in reality you are 5 or 10 feet vertical and going 95 feet. You think you have a smooth turn when in reality you're whipping it around. You think you are high when you are low, you think you are low when you're high. COACHING COACHING COACHING.

A good pro will break down every point of any maneuver you throw under canopy, show you where you are inefficient or off, and tell you how to improve.

OUTSIDE VIDEO IS WORTH GOLD!!

Don't think smaller is better: You can learn a lot under a bigger canopy. If you think you are being limited by your canopy, ask a pro or an advanced CP on the dropzone to jump it and see how they do with it, and more times than not be prepared to strap that badboy back on and continue learning.

The more you learn and the more you practice, the more level the competition field will start to look.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

eric butts was ranked 8th overal after a year of competition flying a cobalt 120 against a field of i think about 160 x braced.

9 cell canopies can be competitive.

but remember everyone is skilled in these events,
to win though you must be consistant.

-dan
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

True dat. I entered my first swoop comp under a Sabre II 190. Contrary to the hundreds of skydivers that claim the've gotten all they can out thier current sized Sabre 2 I have found the canopy to cover a very broad spectrum from basic stand up landings all the way to advanced canopy piloting/ pond swooping. A cross braced canopy is definately not necessary for the CPC, hell I don't have one.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!