RevJim

Vector V1-2 Pack Volume?

Hey all!
I'm going to send this question to the Relative Workshop too, but I thought I might be able to get a quick answer here....

I have an older Vector II V1-2. I've got a 145 Cricket reserve in it, and a Sabre 135 as a main.

I'm keeping the 135 for a second main in my Javelin J1, and sending it to PD for a re-line and to have a panel or 2 replaced.

I'm trying to find out what the main tray maximum pack volume is. The 135 fit's pretty loose, and the closing loop is really short. I'm trying to figure out what the maximum size main I can put in it is. I'm eyeing a couple of 7 cells, and maybe a 9 or 2, but I really need the pack volume before I commit to it.

Any help on this one?

A link to the info would be really helpful, as I couln't find it on their website, and I don't have the original manual.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I *think* a V1-2 will hold up to a 150 sq ft zp main.

I *think* so too.

I'm going to try and stuff my Sabre 150 in there this week, and see how much room is left. Do some 7 cells pack a bit smaller? I'm actually trying to aim for a 170 sq ft 7 cell ZP. If I gotta wrestle with it, that's ok.

I saw a canopy pack volume chart on a web site (PIA maybe?) that showed the variations in actual pack volume on mains. If I can check that link, I can compare what's in there now, what I'm trying to fit in there, and what is close to that size in volume.

Yea, I know I could probably fit an F111 7 cell in there, but I really hope to be able to cram a ZP of the same size in.....
It's your life, live it!

Remember,a 7-cell canopy will have about a 10% smaller pack volume then a 9 cell (generally speaking). With that said, I bet you can make it fit with out too much problem.

(This past weekend, I packed a Raider 220 (F-111, 9-cell) in a VectorIII that was built for a ZP 170, and the grommets were lined up over each other, these things can be done, with in reason).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There is a canopy sizing chart on: http://www.para-gear.com/default.asp - click on parachutes, then sizing chart.

I looked, and couldn't find the link there. I did finally do a search and found this http://www.noexcusesrigging.com/TechInfo/VolumeChartMain.htm. It helps, alot. Does anyone know of a list a bit more current though?
It's your life, live it!

Bingo!

I was looking in the left hand control pane before. I didn't think to actually look in the text area!
http://para-gear.com/canopyspecs/canopysizing.PDF
Thanks!

Also, I got this response back. Wow, nice, quick replies! OK, so I'll look closer at the Vector III for my next rig.

Hi James

You can fit a 170 into the V1-2 it will be a bit tight but can work. That container was designed for a 150 size Zp main. The Cypress mod costs $60.

Regards,

Mark Procos
Sales & Marketing Director
Tandem Program Director
1645 Lexington Avenue
Deland, Fl, 32724

It's your life, live it!

If you haven't read it allready. PD has a good paper about pack volumes and ways to calculate it.
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/packvol.pdf
Maybe RWS can give you some answers to.

My Hornet 170 with microlines has almost the same packing volume as my old Clipper 190 (F111) had. Of course I've only tried to pack my hornet once, so I might be able to make it a little smaller with training. :)

The best way of finding out is to demo some canopies, or maybe just borrow and try to pack. Will give you some refrence.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

If you haven't read it allready. PD has a good paper about pack volumes and ways to calculate it.
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/packvol.pdf
Maybe RWS can give you some answers to.

My Hornet 170 with microlines has almost the same packing volume as my old Clipper 190 (F111) had. Of course I've only tried to pack my hornet once, so I might be able to make it a little smaller with training. :)

The best way of finding out is to demo some canopies, or maybe just borrow and try to pack. Will give you some refrence.

Yep, RWS has been helpful. I don't really have time to demo any canopys right now. I know my 135 fits really loose. I just put my Sabre 150 in it, and it's a perfect fit. I see I can get a 170 in there, but it's gonna be, um, snug. That's why I'm going through these pack volume charts. To see what the smallest measured pack volume for a 7 cell 170 is, across the mauf. lines.
It's your life, live it!

You need to realize that volumes you get from different sources may (will) not be comparable. While PIA has a SOP for volume measurements not every one who publishes volumes follows it. Or follows it carefully enough to be consistent. Also know that the volume differnce between individual canopies of the same model may be significantly different, especially when it "just" fits. In addition practical pack volume will change as location or season changes.

Just looking a numbers in tables isn't going to give you all the information you need. Also, realize that not everyone measure canopy area the same. So one persons 160 may be anothers 170. And of course all "7 cell" mains are not created equally. The question should be "Will a canopy that gives me the performance change I want from a Sabre 150 fit in this container." The answer might be a smaller canopy.

Bottom line, don't blindly follow the numbers.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Actually, the performance change in this rig is to reduce performance. The 135 is coming out, and a bigger (hopefully 170) 7 cell is going in. I will probably not be jumping it very much. It's more of a "loaner rig". I like my 135, and my 150, but will not loan it out to some of the less experienced jumpers I may be jumping with. Hell, I'm now even considering "F111" for the 7 cell. I'd still prefer the ZP though.

I know how my 135 and 150 Sabres fit in there, and how much room was left over.

By crunching numbers, I'm trying to compare numbers brought forth by one group. Preferably this group has numbers on my canopys, the ones I already know fit. I can then compare these numbers to other canopys I would like to put in there.

See, this way, I'm using a set of numbers from one source. the measurements from one source for all the pack volumes will be much more reliable than, say, going to each manuf's website and looking up individual pack volumes.
It's your life, live it!

I'm not sure there are "one source" numbers anymore. Especially for some of the newer canopies. The PIA published list is the most controlled but the latest update in 1995. http://www.pia.com/piapubs/TS%20Documents/ts-104.htm A discussion held on this issue at the PIA meeting in Sept. brought to my attention even more discrepansies. And proposed changes to the test method. My only point is don't buy something at the upper end of the theoretical volume range of the rig expecting it to fit without trying one first.

BTW I think its fair to say the most rig manufacturers volumes are based on the purported canopy volume of canopies that fit. Most now give example canopies. There is no standard method for measuring rig volumes, athough this was also discussed at PIA. I'm not naming names to keep from getting into the marketing/pissing contest.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Only trust pack volume numbers published by container manufacturers.
remember, they are the ones that have to build you another container if the first one does not fit your canopies.
For example, if Relative Workshop says that a Sabre 150 is a perfect fit in their Vector XYZ, a 170 will be a tight fit, a 190 a struggle and don't even think about stuffing a 210 into that container!

Probably wont help you much, but my Vector II v2-2 holds a pd190, clipper 190 and hornet 170. All are a tight fit. I guess a 150 would be a perfect fit.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.