Jskydiver22

I got a crossfire2 119!

And if you don't listen to either of them, ie Ian and Ccowden.....you are foolish.

Im not sure you have been on DZ.com long enough to realize that your choice has made you one of "those" jumpers that if you frapped in, no one would be suprised.

There is no replacement for experience. Either your own, or someone elses.

Nice, I just upacked my brand spankin new saphire2 229, yesterday morning. yes she big but we'll see how she flies, I think it's cruiser material, only 31 square ft smaller than the pd I been flying for a year, still at a 1-1. O.K. on opening rear risers, fly the spin with the harness, try to keep a balanced approach on the landing. YES I KNOW Don't forget the beer. Cheers. Ed

I do listen to those guys...never said i didnt.

Yeah i knew that posting it here was probably a bad idea after i did it. I had a few people tell me that there was no way they would post on here when they made a significant downsize to an eliptical.

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

I do listen to those guys...never said i didnt.

If you are really listening to them, then you should already have your new canopy up for sale, or waiting for a good while to jump it.

Yeah i knew that posting it here was probably a bad idea after i did it.

Actually, it was more than likely the smartest thing you did. At least now, you have not only the people that know you telling you you are making a mistake, but those that don't know you from adam telling you the same thing. See the recurring theme here?

I had a few people tell me that there was no way they would post on here when they made a significant downsize to an eliptical.

Then they more than likely downsized too fast and knew it as well. Its much easier to convince yourself into something like this than listen to a whole community tell you that you are being foolish.

I hate to say it dude, but you fit the profile to a tee for someone that is about to embark on a canopy that you yourself know your not ready for. Good luck.

No, actually the people on here dont know me so...i dont know where your getting the part about saying that the people that know me are telling me a made a mistake.

The reason i thought it was a mistake is because the people on here dont know how i fly. Im put into a group of typical people with 200+ jumps. Which is fine...i would do the same. And im not saying that im invincible and nothing can touch me either.

Is there anything i should know about this canopy, or any advice. I do realize that i moved a little fast for only having 250 jumps, but im gonna take it easy and be under some close watch.

My wingloading is going to be 1.22 : 1. I previously jumped a sabre2 135 and did quite a few hook turns on it.

Well, I have some questions for you.

Do you know the differences in the recovery trajectory based on the same initial conditions?
Let's say on your old canopy you made approaches at 30 mph at 20 degrees below the horizon. If you did that on your new canopy, what would the end result be?
[That's just a for instance - change the parameters to whatever you do or did on the larger canopy.]

Do you know whether you should make your approaches more shallow or steeper when you increase WL?

By how much?

Do you know if approach airspeed increases influence your answers to the two previous questions?

Should you change the approach speed?

Do you think recovery trajectory only depends upon the parachute or does it also depend upon the initial conditions of the swoop?

If you come in too steep (get in the corner) what control inputs will you use to try to survive?

Have you practiced these maneuvers up high?

For your reading enjoyment, I played with my computer and generated some plots about your specific scenario. In my 'play-out' scenario, for an approach speed of 30 mph, the best angle is between 20 and 25 degrees below the horizon on your 'big' canopy. If you take that approach on the 'small' canopy, then you might be eating dirt rather quickly. Plus the differences in speed are significant when you look at kinetic energy (KE) that has to be dissipated by bones breaking and such. Under the smaller canopy, you need an approach angle close to 15 degrees. Do you have the experience to tell the difference between these velocity vectors?

So does your 'visual picture' tell you that you need a shallower angle and can it tell you that in real time so that you can make corrections?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

"Behind the 8 ball" basically just means to be in trouble, or in a bad position. I might have picked that up in the Army. I wonder how many other people don't know what I mean when I use that phrase.;)

When you open your parachute, you immediately begin the process of landing safely, no matter if you are going to do a straight in approach or a swoop landing. We all have to make calculated decisions in order to land safely, by making the right choices that will put us in the best position to do so. If you make a bad choice or a mistake that puts you into a bad position which can lead to a less than perfect or even horrible outcome, then you are putting yourself "behind the 8 ball." Once you get behind the 8 ball, it can be very difficult to get out of that position, if not immpossible when it is not recognized in time. We need to always be thinking and to recognize potential situations that can put us in that position. Minimize the factors that can contribute to these situations, ie: a canopy that you aren't quite ready for. Sure, if you fly it in a docile manner at first and take it slow, you can probably stay out of trouble, but things don't always go according to plan. You may need to change your pattern, or the winds might pick up, you might have a bad spot, need to land out, land in a tight area, avoid another canopy and have a near miss right at landing......etc. And even when things DO go according to plan, there is ALWAYS the chance of making a mistake. Then that same canopy becomes a HUGE factor in putting you behind the 8 ball.

Everytime you add something new, like a new technique or a new canopy, you add to the factors that can put you into a bad position if you make a mistake. Sometimes, just a small mistake can end in death. Those are pretty high stakes.

We have to make decisions that keep us safe and that minimize the potential for a bad outcome. Decisions as in what canopy to fly, what skills to add, how quickly we move along in this progression. Get ahead of ourselves in any part of this, and we are asking to get hurt, or quite possibly killed.

No one is immune. We all need to stay smart to stay safe. We all have to continue to learn, no matter how many jumps we have or what canopy we fly. That "8 ball" is there on every jump, just waiting for us to get complacent or make a mistake. We need to do everything we can to stay out from behind that sucker!:)

Dude, you're gonna LOVE it! BE CAREFUL.

I have a Sabre 135 and a Crossfire 119. I still jump 'em both ... the difference between the two is staggering. The openings on the Crossfire are SOOO smooth. Normally ;) However, I can tell you that the Crossfire will be brutal compared to the Sabre 135 if you open in a spin or have line twists.

The Sabre 135 is docile compared to the Crossfire. You have to be much more careful with the landings.

;)

Dude, you are not going to make many friends making statements like this. Not to mention, YOU are the one "slamming" someone. Ian was offering his advice and insight, just like anyone else, and he is entitled to it. Ian knows ALOT about canopy flight and is someone I look up to very much in his efforts to do it the right way and to teach others. He has seen the effects of someone getting in over their heads. But you are right, we should just sit back and not say anything if we think someone might be moving too fast.

Hey, easy now! I wasn't even referring to Ian's post at all!:S I was responding to the situation where people were misinterpreting the comment from the guy with 75 jumps.[:/] As I stated in the message, I don't think the guy meant any harm, I think he was just making a comment that was meant to be funny, but misinterpreted.

In regards to the whole 'sense of power' thing, I'm not referring to anyone who was commenting on here. I'm referring to those people (again for clarity: NOT on this thread) that are sarcastically called 'Sky Gods'. I was trying to make the guy feel better, since it seemed he was a little put off by someone else's humor.

Boy this thread is just FULL of misunderstanding! :$

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

That said,atleast it allowed me to get some more thoughts/advice/comments out on the subject.

I personally thought it was well worth the read:)

Yes, it was certainly well worth the read. I just wish it wasn't negatively/sarcastically directed towards me! ;)

And not to kiss ass, but for the record, I do value Chris and Ian's responses. Since I don't know them personally, it's the closest thing I can get to a one on one conversation with them about swooping.

I'll try to be more clear in future posts! [:/]

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I do value Chris and Ian's responses.

See, now there's your first mistake!! :P

No worries, I didn't take your post as an attack on me. I recognize that we all have different opinions and that doesn't make anyone elses opinion less or more valid.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I've got 681 jumps on a Crossfire 2 129 and loved everything about it. Great openings, flys & swoops great, and packs like a dream. I have 5 jumps on my new 109 and love it also. Much quicker all the way around. Im loading it at 1.7. Very HP and newer pilots should be VERY careful. I took Scott Millers canopy course and loved it. HP canopy pilots should take the course !!

I got to try it out last weekend!!! Man what a fun canopy to fly around! The openings were so much better and smoother than my old sabre2 was. I love the performance of it. Its very responsive...but it still feels easy to fly.

My jumps went like this. First we did a FF jump and i pulled at about 4500. I got to play some (but not nearly as much as my sabre2...the thing comes down! I LOVE IT) I got the feeling of "omg im goin fast!" I mainly flew it in breaks...checked the stall point, tested out how fast it turned, rear riser stalled it.

The next jump i did a hop-n-pop from 6500. The reason i didnt go all the way up is cuz it was about 25 degreese at full altitude. I really played with it. Did some toggle turns, did some more flares, did front riser turns then flared...just like i would if i was swooping, checked alitimiter during the whole time.

Both times a brought the canopy straight in nice and easy. I had such a fun time flying it around, its such a fun canopy.