PhreeZone

Addition of non-xbraced category for swoop comps

Looking at the results of the Nationals, the PST, the Flordia league, etc I'm seeing only crossbraced canopies are being flown by the people in those events. Seeing how in Zone accuracy for instance in Fl you need to go 175 feet to get a point and 270 to get the most points that rules out almost every 9 cell non-crossbraced jumper I've seen.

Do you think that these events should possibly look at including a 9 cell/Non Crossbraced level too so that it can open the field up for up and coming swoopers to compete with out having to make the jump to Crossbraced?

If I lived in FL I'd be all over the FL league, but seeing as I know going in I'd score 0 points for Zone, and I'd probally have to run out the Speed section I'd be frustrated about going to the events. But if there was a category that I could compete on level with other weekend warrior jumpers I'd be tickled pink about it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

We have changed the official rule in the Florida league regarding the zone accuracy event to address this issue. It is not necessarry to get the first gate to score points in your accuraccy runs. You get scored for whatever gates you get. You only have to get at least one gate and at least one zone to score. You acctually only need to fly 70 ft from the 4th gate to the zone 1 to score points. This is for windy days and for less experienced pilots with 9 cell canopies. It seems to work well and does not produce as many zero's. There are intermediate swoopers with cross brased canopies, but in the intermediate class there are so many other things to learn about competition canopy piloting that are not directly related to the type of parachute you are flying. Intermediate 9 cell and cross brased canopy pilots can learn alot competing along side each other. But I guess if there were enough 9 cell pilots that just wanted to compete against each other, then why not...

Chris

I've competed in the Florida league this past year and I just a Katana 120 loaded at 1.45:1 I'm not winning the competitions but I'm not getting last - I've been about middle of the pack beating some of the cross-braces out there. Unless there's a head-wind I can do pretty well on my standard 9 cell and there's definitely still a lot more performance I can get out of this canopy.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I have flown a crossbraced canopy, and I like a few aspects of them..hell I even want one, but I can also fly my crossfire close to its limits and get some pretty nice swoops out of it. I think it would be a great idea to have those 2 divisions. not only crossbraced flyers are swoopers..and the crossbraced canopies flown to thier max will beat out a conventional 9 cell canopy.

just my 2 cents...

I don't fly a Xbrace but I picked the third one. Competition flying, especially in front of a lot of whuffos, is a whole ball game. By the time someone has competed enough to overcome that, they are most likely flying a Xbrace, as well. I think it's just an intrinsic part of modern swoop competition.

The same skydiving maturity (time, jumps, and attitude), that come with flying a Xbrace canopy safely and effectively apply directly to competition. Setting up a division that would welcome less experienced jumpers would undoubtedly net at least a couple that might wreck themselves in front of spectators. Just my opinion.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Hey Phree,

Couple of things to comment on here:

Seeing how in Zone accuracy for instance in Fl you need to go 175 feet to get a point and 270 to get the most points that rules out almost every 9 cell non-crossbraced jumper I've seen.

Nope - I've done the entire ZA course on my wife's Katana 107 in zero to light winds (not downwind). It's quite do-able as is the speed carve. With the 10 foot gates in intermediate it's definately accomplishable.

If I lived in FL I'd be all over the FL league, but seeing as I know going in I'd score 0 points for Zone, and I'd probally have to run out the Speed section I'd be frustrated about going to the events. But if there was a category that I could compete on level with other weekend warrior jumpers I'd be tickled pink about it.

Seriously dude if you can hit the gates consistently you can do just fine. Most of us screw up at LEAST one round (except those damn PD guys....and even then they make mistakes too!). Competition isn't about how far or fast you can swoop the beer line. It's about how consistently and accurately (both verically and horizontally) you can enter the course. A guy at our DZ regularly makes at LEAST zone 1, normally Z2 on the ZA course on his CF2 109.

It's doable. You just gotta get out there and do it :)
Oh yeah, and like Chris already mentioned, it's a reason for the handicap system the FL league uses.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Examples include Craig Girrard, Eric Butts, Andy Honnigbaum, and Pete Alum.

Amen. I saw Craig do some amazing stuff with his stiletto out in Eloy at the xmas boogie last year.

I think Pete is on a velo now (or at least he has one) cause he used one in a FLCPA meet in the beginning of the year.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Examples include Craig Girrard, Eric Butts, Andy Honnigbaum, and Pete Alum.

Amen. I saw Craig do some amazing stuff with his stiletto out in Eloy at the xmas boogie last year. I think Pete is on a velo now (or at least he has one) cause he used one in a FLCPA meet in the beginning of the year.

Blues,
Ian

I said regularly jumps a nine-cell. Craig and Andy own Velos as well, but their "work" canopies are ST's.

This poll shows good interest. Let's try it!
Here ya go.
We will have a 9 cell class at the next two FLCPA meets. Course dimensions will remain the same with same scoring system as intermediate and pro classes. The difference will be this. Entry gates will be 30 ft wide, but will not have a height requirement. Pilots will need to fly through the course at any height with no vertical extension penalties. In other words the entry gates extend to the sky. You must still fly through the gates though.
You can not enter the course from the side.

Round 5 December 4 Skydive DeLand
Round 6 January 15 Lake Wales

If anyone has any questions you may email me dirrectly
[email protected]

Thanks and we hope to see you all get involved

I'll be in Deland that weekend for the Birdman Bigways/skills camp so it works out. I see Chuck is planning on swooping the course with his suit, I imagine Ray, and a few others will be doing the same so I figure I might as well play too :)
Lake Wales in Jan.. beats the hell out of being in Ohio in the winter :ph34r: I'll see after Deland :P
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

what was the last one you did that was setup downwind

I believe the Wildwood PST competition was waivered to only land in one direction (from north to south) and for most of the weekend, that direction favored downwind. In fact the competition was cancelled one day due to fairly high winds favoring of course a downwind landing. The rest of us fun jumpers at the beach boogie were able to jump most of the weekend, but we were able to land into the wind in the fun jumper landing area.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over