nicolesser

Safire 2 vs Pilot from Aerodyne

Hi There,

I jump both Safire's (135 and 119) and a Pilot (132)
when doing Birdman jumps and as an occasional back to back rig for AFF. I'm getting amazing performance out of all of them, as well as very predictable openings.

I have not yet jumped the Safire 2, but if it's an improvement on the Safire, I would put it ahead of the Pilot.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I put the two canopies so close together their performance is very hard to guage...

I loved jumping the pilot, I think that has to be one of the best canopy I've jumped to date.

The safireII was the equal of it in every way and just as enjoyable to fly. Both have really powerful and wide flare bands but from reading reviews of far more experianced jumpers who really can swoop, the saffire appears to have a significant edge on swoopability.

As that is something I'm interested in I'm leaning towards the safire... but I can't get over how nicely that pilot flew... I want to demo again. [:/]

I guess it depends what you want to do with it.

Pilot has better openings and better glide. A better choice for wingsuits, or a first HP canopy. Safire 2 has _slightly_ better landings, and has a slightly longer recovery arc. I think the Pilot is, overall, a better canopy for most purposes - although both are good canopies.

Both canopies are reviewed in the UK skydiving mag.
Go to www.skydivemag.com the pilot is in the April 2004 issue and the safire is in the December 2003 issue. Both are review by alastair macartney who is PST Pro rated and on the UK swoop team.
I normally jump a velocity but was interested in buying a more docile canopy for my 2nd rig mainly for camera so i would have the 'best of both worlds'.
I've got about 100 jumps on a spectre 135 and really like it but find the openings sometimes snap a little at the end ('ve been told if you reline them with dacron then this doesn't happen)
I'd heard good things about the safire 2 and liked it (i jumped a 139) but the openings didn't love up to my expectations. I would sat the safire is slightly more radical (elliptical) than the pilot but for me the pilot wins on the openings.
I have now jumped the pilot 132, 124 , 117 and 104 and it is the best opening canopy i have ever jumped. Its also a lot of fun to fly with a nice swoop at the end. For what i want its the best canopy out of these 3 - i will probably get a 132 (that puts me at 1.6 wingloading)
The front riser pressure is nice and light and manageable which makes them fun to swoop.
These canopies are not as radical as a stiletto but still very quick if you load them (the 104 was a blast) and in terms of high performance they are a long way behing the Crossfire2 and katana.
The thing to do is read the reviews, and then test them. Ask yourself what you want from the canopy then make an informed choice. At your experience i would jump the 132 first.
Have fun - hope this helps!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Thanks a lot Gary. very complete report

Im from Chile and here is difficult to test new canopies. No even distributors here.
I will test both next december in eloy Az.
Do Safire 2 has less presure on Toggles and front risers than Pilot ? which glids better .

Is possible to subscribe to teh UK magazine ? or you have to become a member also.

thanks again Gary
Orbital Flyer

The Pilot must be one hell of a canopy because the safire2 has excelent glide and the best openings i've ever felt (or not felt). I should have jumped one when aerodyne was here, I only jumed the vision.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

A stiletto is a pretty aggressive, fully elliptical canopy. The Safire and the Pilot are intermediary canopies. The Safire and the Pilot are *not* in the same category as the Stiletto.

No offence (specifically since you have nearly 3 times as many jumps as me), but what have you flown so far? It seems weird to me that you'd gather nearly 2000 jumps and would compare the Safire to the Stiletto.

I`m Chilean and here we jump mostly PD canopies. I am a camera man, and a have jumped spectres for 1500 jumps( 135 ) , and 400 jumps in Stilettos. No chance to demo a Safire , crossfires or other popular canopies available today in the market.
I will travel to eloy next december ( for their boogie ) and i will try safire 2 and Pilots canopies.This is the reason why a ask for other experiences in flying pilots and safires canopies

thanks folks
Orbital Flyer

If you jump camera you're really going to appreciate the openings on the Safire. With the Stiletto I had before, I'd always 'brace for impact' during opening when I'm wearing my topmount. Since the Safire, I've totally forgotten about the weight of the cam during the opening.

I'm jumping a Stiletto now with a topmount camera. The openings are not very hard, but alot are offhaeding. This i don't like about the Stiletto. I've ordered a Pilot after demoing one and i just loved the openings; soft and onheading. Just the way you want it when jumping with a camera on your head.

------------------------------------------------
NIL VOLENTIBUS ARDUUM.
(nothing is difficult for those who really want it)

Nicolas,

I've ordered a Pilot 124 (loading it 1.87 : 1). It is not as radicale in turns as a Stiletto with the same wingload. With front risser turns the Pilot builds up great speed so you can make very nice swoops with it. Also if you want to fly in deep brakes its very stable, flying back from a long spot is no problem.
And i want to say it again the openings are great.

F

------------------------------------------------
NIL VOLENTIBUS ARDUUM.
(nothing is difficult for those who really want it)

Safire 2 is great canopy.
Responsive, great flare, all around great canopy.

I totally agree. I abosolutely love mine. And for a bigger jumper who might search this thread int he future. They will custom make one in any size up to 300 sf at no extra charge. My 269 rocks!

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."