garywainwright

Atair Radical

Has anyone else jumped or heard of this? I put about 10 jumps on a 95 a few weeks ago and really liked it - it was very Katana ish.
Its not X braced or airlocked - the only different thing to look at is the end cells are split into 3 rather than 2. Also i think it had vectran lines.
The guy who lent it me couldn't tell me much about it (he actually thought he had an Onyx!)
Its the smallest non X braced i've jumped and was very nice at a 2.35 loading, lovely openings, light fronts with heavy ish rears.
I tried contacting Atair but they haven't got back to me.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

the only different thing to look at is the end cells are split into 3 rather than 2.

Is this for heading performance on opening perhaps?

Has any manufacturer every played with cross-bracing certain cells? Any BASE manufacturer perhaps? I'm just thinking out loud here.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Icarus had something they called the GX that had the middle three cells crossbraced and non-x-braced on the others (if I remember correctly).

From what I remember, it didn't fly quite like they thought it would and found it to be pointless.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Has any manufacturer every played with cross-bracing certain cells? Any BASE manufacturer perhaps?

With BASE canopies, making something flies with a lot of rigidity/performance (X-brace, airlocks, etc) is a bad idea. If the canopy inflates unevenly, the inflated side will start flying fast -- offheading. My ongoing joke about this, "hey, at least it will stay inflated through the object strike." ;)

Fast, consistent, symmetrical openings are, IMO, the #1 thing I want out of a BASE canopy.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Interesting that they would line this canopy with Vectran but still use Spectra on the Onyx - backwards if you ask me.

Years and years ago Chute shop made a canopy called the Reflex that had end cells split into three rather than two. Not sure what the design reasons are.

Canuck

Has any manufacturer every played with cross-bracing certain cells? Any BASE manufacturer perhaps?

With BASE canopies, making something flies with a lot of rigidity/performance (X-brace, airlocks, etc) is a bad idea. If the canopy inflates unevenly, the inflated side will start flying fast -- offheading. My ongoing joke about this, "hey, at least it will stay inflated through the object strike." ;)

Fast, consistent, symmetrical openings are, IMO, the #1 thing I want out of a BASE canopy.

I was thinking more in terms of cross-bracing the center cells to promote more symmetric inflation somehow, rather than the end cells.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Well i have a few jumps on it :)
I don't think radical has vectran lines. They're spectra unless this one you tried is different. Well at least on mine are spectra and on other one that i tried. that's that radical 120, white with blue endcells, that was sent to your part of the world. IT has spectra lines, i don't know about the 95 though.

Apart from that endcells that are split into 3 the main difference is in the airfoil shape. But it's top secret so that's all i can say :P

Maybe you should contact the right Atair, the one that designed these canopies (Atair from Slovenia). They're building new web page but curently you can contact them at [email protected]
"George just lucky i guess!"

My PdF Merit also has the end cells split into three...

You sure? The Merit brakelines are split into 3 rather than 4. This is the case with most PdF canopies. Is this what are you getting confused with perhaps?

I know the brake lines only cascade into three, but I'm 99% sure the end cells are split into three also... I'll verify next time I pack!

I can't find any decent online photos.

Dave