AggieDave

My swoop: Please critique

Please watch this video from a swoop on sunday and critique.

From what I can tell watching it is that I didn't quite get the transition right from rear risers to toggles and I could have gotten a lot more out of that swoop before putting "the landing gear" down and sliding. Since I'm definately new at the rear riser thing, please help me out.:)

Video (please be nice and download it)

ftp://24.250.185.205/videos/sunsetswoop.wmv
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I only have about 100 RR landings myself, so I'm speaking from more of a "learning with you" standpoint. My verbose observation:

It just looks like you carved a little too hard with the rear risers. At about 20s into the video, look at your canopy. Definitely some big time distortion/airflow separation. The center of your canopy cordwise on the right side is a lot lower than the rest of your canopy, and the top skin is taken right out of the airflow. That is, the C attachment points appear to be on level or even lower than the As and Bs -- lower than they should be, at any rate.

The exact same thing has happened to me on rear riser carves -- makes a big chunk of the canopy not-so-effective. It's basically a rear riser stall (or close to one) on one side of the canopy.

I don't know if you carved for correction reasons, altitude adjustment reasons, or just for fun. For minor corrections, harness is probably the way to go. If it was altitude adjustment, well -- I've just found that getting on the rears sooner and more subtly is the better way to go (also allows you time to evaluate whether or not you'll need to use toggles).

My 2¢. Keep on rockin'.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

This one is replying to 3 of yall...

Its an anon login, shouldn't ask for anything...

It was a carve for fun, saw Waid with my camera before I setup, so I thought I'd have a little fun with something to carve infront of. Do you think the agressive harness input to initiate the carve would give the distortion in the canopy you saw? I didn't think I was on the risers that hard, so I'm going to have to watch the video again. If I was, then that would definately kill some swoop. Good eye!

Yup, XF2 149 loaded at 1.9:1.

Looked a bit abrupt for a carve on rears. You can definitely see how it kills your canopy and ends your swoop in a hurry. Just be careful. A little more of an abrupt input on the rears and you could stall the canopy entirely. Not a good thing at that point of your swoop. Looked nice and smooth up to that point. You can be very aggressive with rear carves, I would just try to make the input smoother and less abrupt. Nice video though!;)

My two cents.

Pretty nice swoop. I'm no expert, far from it, but it looks to me like it was exactly what you said, an aggie-ressive harness input causing the spanwise distortion. I don't know how exactly that would affect your distance, but it changed your direction pretty quickly, and looked kind of cool. Now, if you look at 21-23 seconds in, it looks like you were on rears, then backed off a little, then got back on. It also looked like you might have been a little deeper with the left initially, and maybe countered the harness turn somewhat. Maybe not 100% efficient, but still a nice swoop. I sure need a lot of practice in this area, myself.

try and be a little smoother on a rear riser swoop..you'll keep your speed up longer. when your up high stall that puppy on rears (at low speed and high speed) so you know where the stall point is.
Looks like you're doing good

Are you coming to Spaceland on Sep 10-11 for the swoop contest?

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

You can be very aggressive with rear carves, I would just try to make the input smoother and less abrupt.

Awesome, thank you!

Now I've got to go do another 100 (atleast) jumps to make it really happen.:)
Man, I need a magic genie...

"magic genie, for my first wish, I want to be a bad ass swooper..."
"AggieDave, look, I'm a magic genie, I aint god, you're out of luck..."

:P

ry and be a little smoother on a rear riser swoop..you'll keep your speed up longer.

Will do!

Is that when it is? Trent was supposed to tell me, but I'm sure he forgot in all of his frenzy for nats (understandable).

Fuck yeah I'll be there. It'll be easy to find me, I'll be the guy in last place with wet gear, big wide open ears and a smile on my face from learning a shitload!:)

ooohhhhh, details??? Registration cost, events, etc?

As for the swoop, I have to agree with the others. Smoother, gentler input will take you farther. Looking good though.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Looks good.

You might want to think about completely finish that flair. In that situation, it was great, and no problem, but if you switch to a smaller canopy, or have a bit less/no wind at the end of the landing, you will want it to slow you down as much as possible.

----------------------------
bzzzz

Hey everyone, thanks for the help! The information that everyone gave me was definately top notch and I feel like it'll definately help me.

I've pulled the video down now, to save bandwidth/room.

Thanks again everyone.

If folks are willing to, I may do this again at some point, post a video and ask for a critique.

Dave, remember to be smooth on your transitions, the swoop will look better and your wing will perform better.
You killed your swoop with the harness and whatever you did with your rears.
Smooth is better.

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito