nicolesser

Spectre : Is still a useful canopy ?

Hello flyers.
I wonder is the Spectre is still a good canopy in comparison with others new canopies in the market today .
Happens that when the Spectre came in the market, it was a very good option for those who wanted soft openings. Now, the market offers many good other canopies that opens also soft, in heading and have wonderful landing control. So in your opinion, which is still the benefit of buying the Spectre ?
Orbital Flyer

Recently, I have been borrowing my friends Spectre 97 for bird-man jumps. I used to jump a Spectre 170 when I had 50 jumps, and I totally forgot how nice a canopy it is. I admit I am wingloading it a bit too much and it still opens wonderfully and lands me nice and soft. Of course it is a lot different than the Velocity 90's that I usually jump, but as far as a stable, consistently soft opening canopy you cant go wrong jumping a spectre. Its hard to beat the openings on it also, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Hello flyers.
I wonder is the Spectre is still a good canopy in comparison with others new canopies in the market today .
Happens that when the Spectre came in the market, it was a very good option for those who wanted soft openings. Now, the market offers many good other canopies that opens also soft, in heading and have wonderful landing control. So in your opinion, which is still the benefit of buying the Spectre ?

A Spectre is a fantastic wingsuit main.

I am very happy with my Spectre 150 which is in my 2nd rig and is predominately used for my wingsuit jumps. It's a great all around canopy which can be used to shoot accuracy approaches as well as I can swoop it somewhere in the 200 foot range. I have yet to have a bad jump with my Spectre. :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

So in your opinion, which is still the benefit of buying the Spectre ?

It's a great docile canopy which is pleasant to fly, not too sensitve to control input compared to other non squares, works for casual CRW, and is less likely to have opening problems in unusual circumstances (notably on wing suit deployments).

I'd definately put one in my wingsuit rig.

I've sometimes found the openings a little bit snappy. It snivels for a while then snaps open.
I'm told that the best opening spectres are those lined with dacron - as used by Bruno Brokken, Craig O'Brian and Tony Hathaway to name but a few.

The best opening canopy on the market that i have jumped at the moment is the Pilot by Aerodyne, lots of fun to fly too!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Having read the previous opinions, would a spectre still be a good choice as a first canopy (without thinking about wingsuits) ?

An Aerodyne Pilot seems to offer as good openings, a better glide ration, and nice landings...

What about airspeed ? Is a 188 Pilot faster than a 190 spectre ?
Which one is the hardest to pack ?

Thanks.

Aerodyne's Pilot is a semi-elliptical 9-cell, in the same class as PD's Sabre2. PD's Spectre is a tapered 7-cell. The Pilot will definitely be a quicker canopy than the Spectre. All of them will be about as easy to pack as the next, though a Spectre might cut about 0.6s out of your pack job because it has two less cells.

All three above mentioned canopies will be forgiving, but will also allow you to learn more advanced canopy flying techniques, if that's what you're looking for (and everyone seems to be these days). With your experience, you won't want to load it too much -- no more than 1.1, says I. Any of these canopies, even at a low wingloading, will provide some swoop.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

A totally Bias opinion I think spectre's are great,
I jump a 150 which has about 500 jumps on it and a new line set.

Its fun lands great although it took a few jumps to find the sweet spot.

And for those long spots a little bit of pressure on the very lightly pressured rear risers flattens it out no end.

As for packing this canopy has seen a few jumps and packs real easy, also you can get away with most things and it will open soft and on heading, provided you are not in a track or turning when you pull:P

I have not jumped many other canopies but when its this good why would I ??

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers