ManBird

Too low -- stab or carve?

When I was up in Kamloops a couple weeks ago, I found myself sick and low. I was attempting to swoop down an embankment. I underestimated the headwind, spent too long on the second and third quarters of my 360, and came up short of the embankment, putting me on course to pound in above it.

I went into what was definitely the deepest of carves I've ever pulled off, which reportedly had my end cell about a foot off the ground (fuck yeah). I made it to the embankment in the carve, which gave me room to level out and land standing.

I'd seen video of Heath doing this and it looked like a great ass saver, so I've always kept it in the back of my mind in case I needed to use it. It totally looked like I didn't screw up, which is awesome. I mean, hardly anyone but me realized that I was about to have a femur sticking out of my mouth.

I vote carve.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I am confused and I can't picture the embankment situation.

Embankment = a long artificial mound of stone or earth

I can see someone swooping down one, and can understand trying to do that, being too deep and finding your self low (i.e. about to hit the top of the embankment).

What I am imagining is you continued your carve towards the wrong side of the embankmentand leveled out on the wrong side or swooped up to the top?:S

Ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Depends on the situation.

Too low in a flat field, stab!

This sounds like it was more of an obstacle in the way kind of problem. Obstacle in the way..carve!

I learned to carve my landings as a survival skill when I was still coming straight in and it has saved my ass on more than one ocassion.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Think of it as two landing areas... one about ten feet lower than the other, separated by a gradual bank. If I was fifteen feet closer in, I would have swooped down the bank to the lower landing area. So basically, I was about ten feet too low for the top landing area. It's hard to explain. And I'm kinda hungry.

Click

I see "Other" selected the most. Are people thinking, "stop the front riser turn early"? If so, maybe I should have been more clear. If you find yourself low after the turn is completed, what do you do. Any other options that I'm not thinking about right now in my state of hunger?

Click

If you find yourself low after the turn is completed, what do you do.

I try my best to figure that out before the turn is completed. If im too low during the turn, abort the turn or if its not killer low, get the canopy on heading and see if I need input to plane out.

If I was coming out and saw I was low I would start with toggle input and carve if I had to avoid something.

I did see someone notice they were too low after a turn and they kindof threw themselves out from under the canopy, bounce of the ground (it wasnt a pound into the ground hit, just not enough time to get fully under the canopy) and continue to fly the canopy to a stand up landing. Most people thought he would be busted somehow but maybe that move saved him from digging his femurs out of the ground. Who knows.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Best way to cure the being too low, is don't turn too low.
Now that you know how too low is, if you learned from it, then you will have a lot better chance of not repeating it. If you do find yourself low again, then you should take a break and learn how to do your high performance landings correctly, start doing smaller turns and less aggresively. Also just knowing your low when your much higher allows you time to react, start putting input in immediately. Highly experienced swoopers know if they are low or high right after they start their turn, its a good talent to learn

Planning on if you stab or carve if your too low, isn't a bad thing, definitely have a plan. But the best way to avoid having to use that, is not to put yourself in the corner to begin with.

Ive seen Heath and Jay do this a shitload of times, but they have a lot of jumps behind them doing this intentionally, just as learning to hook turn, they leared to do the low turn carve. It looks cool as hell but not very practical.

Most of all be careful. Dont try the same tricks you see xbraced canopy pilots do on regular hp nine cell canopies, the nine cells can hang a little but the xbraced offers a lot more power to pull you out of the corner if you need it.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I guess this could be considered more of a high and wide obstacle avoidance situation. I wasn't too low for my target, but I was too low for what was above it. I guess you could equate this to swooping past a hangar, but coming up short and getting the hangar in your path. Only, this was all dirt with which I was dealing.

Click

Permit me to chime in for a sec. I have some thoughts on this issue.

The main reason people hook in is due to the fact that they choose to address their "roll" axis, before they deal with their "pitch". At high speed, roll is not a real concern. Descent rate is what gets you.

Descent is controlled by angle of attack, which can be increased with "collective" pressure on the brakes. If you find yourself low while still in a hellaciaous bank, keep your bank at first and apply both brakes smoothly. This will allow you to reduce or eliminate your decent rate, and buy you time to get rid of your roll angle.

Kill the decent before it kills you.

For most groovy ideas on canopy flight, check out the new book "The Parachute and its Pilot", now in it's 3rd Edition!
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

***spent too long on the second and third quarters of my 360
=================================

The comments about stopping the trun were right on. Let up on the riser, go to 1/4 brakes, and complete enough turn with a small toggle input to avoid any obstacles.

If you are doing 360's, and can determine which quater of the turn was the problems, you should be able to keep up your eyes open during your turn, and monitor your situation as the turn progresses. Just becasue you start a trun one way, doesn't mean you have to finish it that way.