superstu

ATTN NW canopy pilots: Swoop Comp. coming up

*Competition June 5th @ Eugene Skydivers*

wut up everyone, just letting you know that there will be a swoop competition at Eugene skydivers saturday june 5th w/ a rain day on sunday the 6th. 3 rounds of distance and 3 rounds of accuracy will be schedualed. $25 is registration fee (goes toward the pot and food/beer) then pay for your jumps, $8/ jump to 4000ft. This will be an open event or 1 class (no advanced/intermediate classes).
Required of competitors: helmets, in-date rigs, log book (if you've never jumped here before), and 300 HP landings.
I will also be working on getting prizes to go along with the cash purse as well. You can do practice jumps on friday and the competition orientation will start at 8am on saturday.
We will NOT be swooping over a pond, so keep that in mind when you want to go big.
The primary purpose of this event is for people to learn safely. We have some pretty good pilots here in the NW and there is a lot to be learned. So come out seek help or help others.
Talk to you guys later
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

SuperSTU-

You might consider having just ONE class especially with out-of towners coming in. you can set up an accuracy course, for example that could actually favor a slightly lower wing loading- like yours.

Don't mean to preach, this is totally your deal and I'll be there with rear-risers in hand.

rock on buddy!

No way, man. Two classes as follows:

1. Steve and animals
2. Other humans

I'm bound to win in the first category. Though that walrus is getting pretty good on his VX... might make for some tough competition. If he pulls that freestyle shit during the distance round, then the competition is mine! MwuhaHAHAHAAHAAA!!!

For really, I'm for just one class. Having separate distance and accuracy comps sort of automatically creates two classes. Guys like Stu and myself will probably do pretty well with accuracy, while guys like Dan, Renfro, and the walrus will rock on distance.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Since i've recieved a few emails about this 'class' thing and this being the first competition at eugene we'll only be having one class. i've also changed a few other things so read back over the original post. thanks guys
Slip Stream Air Sports

Cool. Thanks for putting this together, Stu. I'll be gone the next two weekends, so if any SDO people are out there, spread the word.

What's the prize distribution? Winner takes all? Top three in each category? Being Steve? Not being a walrus?

Click

SUPerSTU!

you are da man for setting this up! It'll be cool to see how you'll set up the accuracy course, there's so many options -gates, targets, high-jumps, my favorite is noodles/ balls as targets to kick for points.

All you kids that can make it check it out! This is gonna be totally sweet and you might even win some cash-we're about two hours from portland.

If you're not there WERE GONNA HAVE MORE FUN THAN YOU!

odendan, no casey isn't down here any more. he went to Pennsylvania. last i heard he doesn't like it too much there and should never have left, so maybe he'll be back i don't know.

are there a few canopy pilots at your dz? if so, bring'em on down. this should be pretty fun. later man.
Slip Stream Air Sports

hey steve who does bobby have to blow to get the entry gates up at sdo for practice.

HHAHAHAHA!!!! Nice. I'm not sure. Do we have windblades? If so, I'm sure we could just ask Joe. He might have some good reasons (obstacles, target fixation, etc) to not have them up fulltime, but then again, maybe it's not a problem and no one has asked. We should probably consult Troy, Tye, and/or Zaz to find out if there's anything else we don't know that we should know.

I'm gone at boogies for the next two weekends, so I'll see you down in Eugene on Saturday. I really like the idea of this comp. If nothing else, it gives these landings a little purpose outside of just-plain-fun.

Click

gates can be made very cheaply using 5-8 feet of small -diameter pvc with about 18 inches of flexible sprinkler tubing attached to the top and bent back to get the "blade" shape. then just sew up the flag portion or tear up some old scrap nylon fabric and attach it to the poles. I made four of them at a total cost of like 7 or 8 bucks each last year.

If I were up at SDO I'd jsut put up one set of gates in the HP landing area right next to the pond. I can't imagine a problem with having a set of gates there for practice.

good to know, im almost positive we have blades somewhere. it would be a better idea to put the gates up in the pond like the pst comp. id much rather have the water to cushion our fuck ups learning to hit the gates. the pond is thgere for saftey, take it from me its a sureal feeling pounding into the earth with a swoop pond 4 feet to the left. \

im pretty excited to try this comp out. for nothing more than getting a feel for competing and swooping under pressure. so dont expect much from me, shit ill be stoked to just make the gates and be safe.
peace

im pretty excited to try this comp out. for nothing more than getting a feel for competing and swooping under pressure. so dont expect much from me, shit ill be stoked to just make the gates and be safe.
peace

and that is what's it's all about folks, learning.

i've got some good news guys, i just talked to my friend from up north in washington and the list of competitors is growing. so buckle up this could be a fun one.

by the way it would make it a lot easier on me if you PM'd me or emailed me if you're planning on showing up, in other words email me god damn it.
talk to ya later
Slip Stream Air Sports

Jeff-

Don't sell yourself short dude!

I finished ahead of a lot of good canopy pilots (several in the "PRO" category -I'm an "ADVANCED" pilot) class at the PST even here in Oregon not because I could fly my XOAS 125 faster or further, but because I made decent runs and refused to make a vertical extension foul on any of my runs.

What I'm saying is two solid 220 foot swoops count as better than one ripping 320 footer followed by a big ol' vertical... earning you 0. Stay consistent and you'll surprise yourself, I guarantee it.

hey guys, we still need judges for this thing as well, so if you know someone who would like to do this or a couple of people that would be awesome if they could. cause i would rather compete but i'll judge if i have to.
Slip Stream Air Sports

Hey Stu,

Cant say 100% yet, but it loolks like there will be two of us coming down from Richland. I would say 3 but one of our regulars is also a Portland jumper, so he kind of don't count for us.

Will look around for judges up here. I assume we just need a couple of people with video cameras in key positions, ie. the gates and along the course to prove the distance/accuracy?

whips n' chains n' hand-grenades with a little ugly on the side.

for the judges, yes we need a gates judge and i'm thinking 3 other judges. I have a camera that can be used and one other person could probibly donate a camera to be used as well. I will also be asking people around the dz down here so i'll keep you updated on this side if you guys update me on your side.

jeff- as of right now i don't have a flier but i'll try to come up with one before the weekend. and i'll email it to you. but for now just tell as many people as possible.

oden- great to hear there will be some people representing from your dz, can't wait to meet you guys.

later
~stu
Slip Stream Air Sports

great news guys, we've got some sponsors for this event.
PD, velocity sports, and body sport will be sending some 'goodies' for prizes and such. so now all of you have to come and represent!:D
Slip Stream Air Sports