superstu

wringing a canopy out

i've just been reading some post lately and doing some searching on various topics, and i kinda noticed something. what does it mean (to you) to wring out a canopy? a lot of the posts on here tell us to do this, but really we haven't defined what this is. basically when you think you've done everything possible on your current canopy what are those things you can do?
for example these are some of the things i consider: 180-270 turn, rear riser plane out and landing completely(ie not going to toggles), knowing when to say no, meeting your personal distance goal, and so on and so forth.
what are some of the things you guys require of a canopy pilot to say they have gotten the most out of their current main?
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

1) To always be able to safely make any approach.
2) To hit the gates or any other "entry point" I define, consistently and safely.
3) To be able to smoothly fly my canopy on all inputs, getting maximum results with minimum of input.
4) To safely and consistently be able initiate any type of turn (reasonably up to 360) to final on any control inputs I have available.
5) To be able to identify my "place" in the traffic pattern below and above me and get to it without "hosing" anyone.
6) To fly a consistent, safe and considerate pattern.
7) To feel like my wing is a part of me, to understand what it's doing and how to respond appropriately to it.
8) To be safe to everyone, including myself.
9) To be able to perform evasive manuevers safely while low to the ground.
10) To practice evasive and input manuevers on every jump.
11) To stop the canopy where I want, everytime.

That's all I can think of for now (there's a ton more to add I'm sure but I'm just citing it off the top of my head), in no particular order.

edit: This is my personal list. Not saying this is suitable for other pilots, but besides the increased turns I can't see anything that I'd advise others against working towards.

Blue ones,
Ian

Blue ones,
ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Very Nice.

Stu, I noticed you fly a crossfire so I won't suggest doing back spins:P however, I would add stalling the canopy with toggles, and with risers. Radical spirals with toggles, and with risers.

Pull high and fly it for fun. Get a partner and chase each other. Oh.... and don't wrap;)

If the sun is fairly low, build up speed flying away from the sun then hit the brakes and let one toggle up to do a hard spiral. Try and get the shadow of your body to hit the canopy.

Stuff like that is wringing out the canopy.

Add that to the list above.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

... Radical spirals with toggles, and with risers.

Try pulling individual lines. Outside B lines (or A-B lines if cascaded) are particularly effective at spiralling without building a lot of Gs. Do it high up with small inputs (3") until you know how your canopy reacts.

Bob

Try pulling individual lines. Outside B lines (or A-B lines if cascaded) are particularly effective at spiralling without building a lot of Gs. Do it high up with small inputs (3") until you know how your canopy reacts.

Bob

How/why does that make you a safer jumper?

I thought the question was how to wring out the canopy? I can't do a 270 front riser turn to final (and have no intention before anyone shouts at me!:ph34r:) and i wouldn't necessarily be safer if i could but i would have got a lot closer to the limits of my canopy.

Just my opinion.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

The topic is about getting the most out of a canopy and individual line control is part of that, IMO.

As to your question, outside B line control is very effective at quick altitude loss with little input. The turn rate and G buildup is far less than brake toggle, so there's less dizziness on recovery. I use it to loose altitude quickly when I want some vertical separation from other jumpers so we're not all landing at once.

Talk to Henny Wiggers (ParaShoot) at Teuge for more information - I learned the technique from him.

Bob

Give it a try Dutch. It's all about exploring canopy flight. My shadow suggestion doesn't make a person safer but it is fun.

I'd forgotten about individual line input. Next time I'm in the air, I'll give it a go.

Thanks!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Stu, I noticed you fly a crossfire so I won't suggest doing back spins:Preply]

back spins? what are those and how do you do'em?

great ideas guys, i'll definately give that individual line input a try.

Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I'll be in Davenport on May 29 and 30 and will be doing first (wingsuit) flight courses. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

To feel like my wing is a part of me, to understand what it's doing and how to respond appropriately to it.

I think that sums it up. This is how I felt with my Sabre 120 after 400 jumps on it before buying a new canopy (which I purchased two weeks before my Sabre 120 was stolen). It felt like an extension, a limb... it just did what wanted it to do. I could quickly react to a situation, and the canopy would only react as much as I would. It's kind of like when your girlfriend punches you in the back of the head, then you immediately turn around and flick her in the leg... just enough to keep it from hurting but enough to say, "Hey, don't punch me in the back of the head".
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

It's kind of like when your girlfriend punches you in the back of the head, then you immediately turn around and flick her in the leg... just enough to keep it from hurting but enough to say, "Hey, don't punch me in the back of the head".

not the analogy I would have used..... :)
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies