mjasantos

Luigi Cani reportedly landed an Icarus VX 39

When they fly canopies they know they will not land do they use a three canopy system as it is basically an intentional cutaway?

Most of the time, yes.

Or sometimes they wear a standard 2 canopy system with a second harness on underneath.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Or sometimes they wear a standard 2 canopy system with a second harness on underneath.

Umm, so if both canopies on the first harness mal, do they have to slip out of that harness so the "underneath" harness isn't covered up? Or am I missing something?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

VX-39
Go Fast Athlete Luigi Cani to fly world's smallest parachute in World Record Attempt on May 12, 2004! Teammate J.C. Colclasure will be flying alongside with the helmet cam - video coming soon!

reply]

I remember the days when Charlie Mullins was considered THE top canopy pilot, or the most daring. He used to test-jump canopies for Precision Aerodynamics when they started making the Icarus Extremes. I haven't seen him in some time but he normally jumped an Extreme 69, but did get a 58 after much cajoling of Precision Aerodynamics' owner, and jumped it successfully. Now Luigi is pushing the bar even higher.

Charlie, eat your heart out! :D

Blue Skies
Billy

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

More stuff about the subject in here:

New World Record Set with World’s Fastest and Smallest Parachute
Luigi Cani of Brazil safely jumps and lands unprecedented 39-square foot parachute

DENVER, CO (May 14, 2004) – On May 12th, Luigi Cani, 30-year-old Go Fast-sponsored athlete set a new world record for jumping and landing the world’s smallest and fastest parachute. Flying at speeds near 100 miles per hour with the parachute open, Luigi is the first person ever to fly a parachute at a speed equal to someone in freefall.

"Seeing the VX-39 for the first time was extremely scary," said Luigi Cani. "I knew it was going to be very small, but when we laid it out next to my regular parachute, it really put it all in perspective and I knew it was going to take a lot of determination to fly it all the way to the ground for a safe landing."

The VX-39 parachute is about the same size as a sleeping bag - as opposed to the 300-square foot parachute, with which Luigi learned to skydive, and the standard high-performance parachute today, which is closer to 120 square feet.

Two days of test flights, aerial maneuvers and helmet-cam video analysis to evaluate the speed and reaction of the parachute took place before the first ground-landing attempt. J.C. Colclasure, Luigi’s training and video partner for the project said, "Flying near and around Luigi while he was learning to fly the VX-39 was extremely intense. I’ve never seen a canopy fly that fast, and the thought of trying to land it was pretty daunting." "I give Luigi so much respect for handling the project professionally and for knowing that he was confident in his talent as one of the best canopy pilots in the world," he continued.

The 3-day world record event was sponsored by Go Fast Sports & Beverage Co. and Perris Valley Skydiving, and showcased the evolution of the sport of parachuting - focusing on the technology applied in this high performance parachute prototype, and Luigi’s expert training in canopy piloting and arduous, safe landings.

http://www.gofastsports.com/brand/parachute.html

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

DENVER, CO (May 14, 2004) – On May 12th, Luigi Cani, 30-year-old Go Fast-sponsored athlete set a new world record for jumping and landing the world’s smallest and fastest parachute. Flying at speeds near 100 miles per hour with the parachute open, Luigi is the first person ever to fly a parachute at a speed equal to someone in freefall.

Skydiving Magazine and or Parachutist had an article with photos, I think sometime last year, of a Birdman either docked or nearly docked on a Velocity down in Florida. I think Vladi Pesa was one of the pilots.
alan

Skydiving Magazine and or Parachutist had an article with photos, I think sometime last year, of a Birdman either docked or nearly docked on a Velocity down in Florida. I think Vladi Pesa was one of the pilots.
alan

That was with an assload of weights and some heavy riser modification.

Not to take anything away from jari and vladi, but birdman flight isnt exactly freefall either. Vladi wasnt going for top speed, he was going for the dock.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

39 feet? Thats nothing. I heard an old-timer talk about how back in the 70s he was landing a 15 foot canopy all the time!:P

Vladi wasnt going for top speed

That wasn't the goal of what he was doing, but I believe that his protrack recorded speeds of over 100 mph while under canopy (hook turning, not full flight)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

That was with an assload of weights and some heavy riser modification.

Yes, that information was included in the article I mentioned. I don't see how that changes the fact of the speeds that were reached and recorded under a parachute that was successfully landed.

Not to take anything away from jari and vladi, but birdman flight isnt exactly freefall either.

I agree. They do log it as "wingsuit time" I would guess for obvious reasons. I wonder, how does USPA or even the FAI regard it for logging purposes and records and awards and such? A good example of technology getting a little ahead of our "rules" or the definitions in them maybe?
alan

As I understand it, Jeb Corliss (in a wingsuit) docked with Luigi (under the 39) just recently.

Fact. I saw it on tv yesterday. Cani made jumps with a 3-canopy system, he made 10 jumps without landing the 39. At the 11th jump he gained confidence and landed the vx39. Very smooth landing for what it is. They also showed him flying the canopy next to a guy in wingsuit for several seconds.

I don't see how that changes the fact of the speeds that were reached and recorded under a parachute that was successfully landed.

Im also pretty sure he kept the weights but unhooked the riser modification before landing. But you're right, the speeds were reached under the canopy.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Im also pretty sure he kept the weights but unhooked the riser modification before landing.

Yes, I seem to recall that information from the article as well. Riser trim is nothing new, it has been around for years. It is not exactly cheating or cause for an asterisk in a record book. It is normal to change the trim and then release it at any swoop comp. It is just more reliable and efficient to do it manually though, as opposed to using trim tabs.

My point was that the newspaper report posted in this thread was not accurate when it stated that Cani was the first to achieve freefall speed under canopy. He hasn't done anything that Pesa didn't do.
alan

Its a ground launch harness. No deployment system.

I prefer a system that let's you freefall away from the aircraft first.

Agreed but with a canopy that small I'm sure you wouldnt want to pull after even a short delay.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

would it (because of the increased speed) be hard to control on opening? in a "hop and pop" the airspeed would be aroung 80-90mph right? wouldnt full terminal at approx 120 mph reselt in a snappier more unpredictable opening?