sarge

Your Canopy Risk Quotient? :Parachutist 03/04

I disagree with you

I scored average risk and I got the lowest score possible with my gear configuration. I would say that hp pilots are high risk considering how nasty things can get when something hours wrong our mistakes are made.
Pp
Reality is that or risk is elevated when we jump in the manner we do. To think we aren't at risk regardless of skill level is naive.

what we do is dangerous. Its also fun as hell and we minimize risks in every possible way, but that doesn't make the risk go away.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I think the value in this "tool" is if it makes people talk about canopy piloting, for example if everyone at safety day completes one.

(I scored 39)
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Experience and Currency: 7
Canopy Information: 25
Training Experience: 3
Maneuvers: 0

That gives me a total of 35
If it wasnt for the competition I would have 2 extra point for not having performed crosswind/downwind landing or accuracy within two meters giving me a 37

Just saying I laughed and dont agree with this quiz. I dont agree I am a high risk canopy pilot.

As long as the quiz serves to open people's eyes to the risk and seek to improve it, I think the quiz serves a great purpose. While not perfect, it does help identify areas where maybe a person can improve their skill level and safety.

I have heard people discussing before that it could be used as a method of policing canopy piloting...for instance if your score is higher than XX, it means you can't fly at such and such DZ. While I've never seen that rule in effect I have heard it discussed. I do not believe the quiz is accurate or descriptive enough to be used in that manner.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

I see that if someone jumps a small, crossbraced, highly loaded canopy, that's 24 points automatically, and there's a minimum of an 8 score in the rest. So the minimum score for such a canopy pilot is 30.

So unless everything else is in their favor, that canopy choice will easily put most such jumpers up in the 36+ higher risk category. (Which, arguably, may well be appropriate.)

I dont agree I am a high risk canopy pilot

Don't confuse high risk with dangerous. I think a shortfalling of the quiz is the words they use - they encourage a defensive posture.

You, and I, are high risk pilots. You simply can't NOT be at a high risk when you jump the loadings and canopies we do.

Now, does that make us dangerous pilots? Absolutely not.

That's what I'm driving at,
Performance Designs Factory Team

I dont agree I am a high risk canopy pilot

Don't confuse high risk with dangerous. I think a shortfalling of the quiz is the words they use - they encourage a defensive posture.

You, and I, are high risk pilots. You simply can't NOT be at a high risk when you jump the loadings and canopies we do.

Now, does that make us dangerous pilots? Absolutely not.

That's what I'm driving at,

That's how I read it too.
Flying tiny canopies at high wingloadings, no matter how safe and heads-up a pilot is, is still a high risk endeavor comparing to piloting big, square ones.
It does not mean someone is unsafe, just the activity is high risk. After all, no one has to jump tiny canopies. I think that was the point of the quiz. Btw, I got 31 flying my SA2 135

You've seen the two cartoon teddy bears, right? The one where Young Jedei has just bought a Velo 84 ...

Lets assume he did 201 static line jumps at the same DZ in just over one year, with 26 in the last month and one "course" during a weather hold.

Then he bought his Velocity 84 (24 points) and yanked the strings and did all the drills in one hop and pop, but no one would teach him how to swoop.

He gets less than 50 points, but deserves a zillion.

----------------------

Great questionnaire for making you stop and think. Its spoilt by patronising, antagonistic summaries and it misses the point that other people make mistakes which use up the HP pilot's margin. eg someone walking back alongside the swoop lane decides to cut across it at the last moment. Or a big brown canopy (invisibly) crawling up wind to land in the HP area.

I like DZs where they allow separate passes for HP with separate landing areas. I wish skydivers not wanting to swoop the pond wouldn't hold above it, over-fly it at 300' or land up-wind next to it. I wish people with canopies beyond their comfort level wouldn't clog the approach on half brakes cos they're scared of full drive.

I morbidly wonder how much some of our fallen brothers and sisters would have scored. There were too many collisions last year. Many of them might have had average scores so its not all about the canopy choice.

This is funny. Something like you need to calculate your BMI to realize that you might be fat. B|

:ph34r:

It's all the same- Pull, pull on time, pull stable. Don't crash into what you jumped off of, don't crash into another pilot, don't turn too low, flare.

24 on my Safire.
19 on my OFLX
40 on my Bullet
48 on my JVX,

-SPACE-

This is funny. Something like you need to calculate your BMI to realize that you might be fat. B|

Are you calling me fat?!

:D

I think it's trying to quantify what some people know all too well, what some people have an inkling of and what others won't figure out without a busted femur.