meatbomb

Xfire2 169! It will be mine, Oh yes, it will be mine!

B| So I spoke to the guys from Icarus (including my long lost twin Hector) at the BPA AGM...and they persuaded me to part with the cash for a XFire2 169...It's already been taken off the stock list :)
Having done close on 900 jumps on my Sabre 190, I can get excellent landings using 90s and lately 180s...I am planning on starting from the beginning again when I get my new baby, and building up from the straight approach, through 90s to 180s or 270s...
My question is this...several times on this site, I have seen people commenting that they find it easier to dial in their swoops using a 270 than a 180...should I go from the 90s (once I get there) straight to 270s, or should I dial in the 180s on the canopy first?
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

The safe thing to do is learn the charachteristics of that canopy before you go and do anything that could get you in a tight spot. Think crawl, walk, run. Once you are familiar with the way the canopy flys/handles then move to the 180/270s. No sense in driving yourself into the ground right off the bat. Cheers
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Once you are familiar with the way the canopy flys/handles then move to the 180/270s.

An excellent piece of advice. But my question remains, once I get to the stage where my 90s are dialled in (however long that takes), will I benefit from dialling in the 180s before going to 270s, or will the extra altitude and latitude with rate of turn of a 270, once I have mastered 90s, be more benificial to producing good swoops?
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I'd advise 180's before 270's any day of the week for your scenario (Note: I do 270's but certainly didn't go straight to them from 90's). You may not spend a long time doing 180's (like 90's) but it's a step along the way.

Question - how did you progress through your turns on your current canopy?

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Work your way up slowly. Straight in approaches, then double fronts, then 90s, then 120-180s, then work it slowly up to 270.

You don't want to jump any steps then have it surprise yourself, since the "surprise" is a very fast impact with the earth and hopefully a ride to the hospital and not the morgue.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

hehehe, you were shaking after you bought that canopy... you were thinking hard about spending a massive £300 on a camera helmet but concerned about the money.... next thing I know you've blown over a grand on a new canopy!

Do you think it's co-incidence that the manufacturers have stalls in a room thats right next to a bar? I think there's been some thought gone into their placing!

Question - how did you progress through your turns on your current canopy?

To quote Aggie D:

Work your way up slowly. Straight in approaches, then double fronts, then 90s, then 120-180s

That is exactly how I went about it with my last canopy, I was just wondering whether 270s were recommended over 180s in a progression...:)Obviously not! ;)

Can't wait to stop talking about it, and jump the beast though! B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Do you think it's co-incidence that the manufacturers have stalls in a room thats right next to a bar? I think there's been some thought gone into their placing!

I think the deciding factor was those cunning Icarus guys sending over Hector, my longlost twin...We were even wearing the same Icarus T-shirt...:o tres spooky...And when I rang my bank and found I had enough for the XFire, and a whole £15 left over, I thought, well this is meant to be! B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I do find 270s easier than 180s. But ... 270s have a tendacy to mess with the minds of the other people in the sky (they may not recognize what you are about to do when you're setting up) and this is not the case with 180s. As some of the others have said, progress slowly with your new canopy (congrats by the way, I love my XF2), and add 270s in first only when doing hop n' pops and afterwards only do them when you have clear airspace.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My canopy progression was also Sabre 190 to safire 169 and there is a huge difference just the canopy shape makes a difference, I put 150 jumps on it and I got a crossfire 159, just be xtra carefull.;)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

It's in the COUNTRY!!! Woohoo!!

Attention all UK Jumpers:
Anyone going to STC tonight, who passes anywhere near Hinton? I've got a luverly brand spanking new Crossfire being held for me at DZ Sports...and someone who can take it to Scotland from STC already sorted...
Mucho liquid reward promised to whoever can help me out here...B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies