grega

What would you choose?

I was just curious, sorry that I was so persistent on that thing. These thoughts just popped up in my mind as I was reading the earlier posts, and I just had to ask!
But as I said earlier, I´m gonna take some more time to get my flying skills to the level where I can actually see for myself where the differences between the two types of canopies are.
I´ll go with something else, maybe even a little bigger. And hopefully be save and still have a lot of fun (i´m sure of that!).

I´m going to test a xbraced at a similar wl somewhen next year, just to see what it´s like and if I like it or not.

Thank´s again for all your advice and help, I appreciate that.:)
------------------------------------------------------
ROCK ON,.....HARD!
Proud European!!

I think you don´t need to be aggressive on a 180 or 270, they can be executed pretty smooth.
Why be aggressive? I´d rather "go with the flow" than yank down a frontriser.
Why not "gently" pull down that frontrise and do a long carving turn? For me there´s no "aggression" in that maneuver at all!
I even know people who don´t use their frontrisers at all during their swoop, they start out high and just use harness input and then rear risers, and they swoop long and good.

An aggressive pilot would yank a frontriser and yank his toggles during normal flight just to experience the g-forces or what ever reason. Spiral down, get in other peoples landing pattern because they can´t make a good setup for themselves, those type of things! That´s what I meant with "aggressive"

But that´s just my opinion!

Jens
ROCK ON,.....HARD!
Proud European!!

I think Remi means that any maneuver done to increase speed for landing is considered aggressive. There are varying degrees of course as you've pointed out, but these types of landings certainly aren't conventional or conservative.

I think it's a terminology thing.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

For that, I do agree that any high speed approach is an "aggressive" maneuver.

I'm not that old fashioned either! lol...

But when I read people say they arent aggresive and then go on saying they do 270 carves, to me, thats a big contradiction.

I dont care how smooth your carve is, but a 270 approach is aggressive, to me. And if its not to you, well, let me be scared for you then.
Remster

Don´t be scared of me, I think I´m a few thousand miles away from you.
And I don´t think ANYONE can swoop that far!;)
But if you see someone doing a 270 with a big smile on his face and a lovely song on his lips, that would be me then!:P:S
And then you can be scared!
So don´t come over to Germany, it´s very dangerous here, you see!B|:ph34r:

C-ya!
Jens
ROCK ON,.....HARD!
Proud European!!

I jump both. I love my Xaos but it has limitations because of the landing area required. It also need a 2.0+ loading to get the performance advantage ove a non-crossbraced. It's really not a practical canopy...but hey, when have you ever heard of skydiver being "practical"?
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I have switched to crossbrace from HP ellipticals like Samurai & Jedei.
I have a VX which is loaded at 1.9, and a Xaos21 which is loaded at 2.1. The VX is a dream to fly and swoop, but it does require quite different control than the Samurai or Xaos. I wish it was the 2.1.
I do like to swoop, and do so on almost every landing. I really was having problems in the hp elliptical market loading it to what made it fun to fly, but will still stop in a no-wind or slight downwind situation. With the switch to crossbrace, I now have my cake and eat it too. It flies fun, and lands great.
The VX is a 114, and packs like a 135 airlock (nearly a 150 packvolume). The Xaos is a 98, and packs like a 120 stiletto or maybe smaller. The VX is much harder to fly aggressively than the Xaos, partly because of the wingloading, but mostly because of the VERY heavy front risers on the VX. The VX surfs rock solid though, like I am hanging from a trolley, not a parachute.
Not a decision to take lightly, I am 37, and push my limits (too far on occasion), but am not stupid about it. I don't have a million jumps, but noone questioned my switch. I also make about 300 jumps a year.
I don't know any friends I would suggest it to with less than 1000 jumps, of which 500 should have been on hp elliptical.
my .01 (dollar has less value these days)
Troy
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

The VX is much harder to fly aggressively than the Xaos, partly because of the wingloading, but mostly because of the VERY heavy front risers on the VX. The VX surfs rock solid though, like I am hanging from a trolley, not a parachute.

hahaha my thoughts exactly!

trolley!... ive never thought of it that way but it is quite tru.