superstu

the power band?

what's the power band? is it the point where you have the most energy working with you? where is it during the swoop? and how can you identify it so that you know you're using it to it's maximum?
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

the power band is a myth.. when your stuck in the corner and you dig out with your rears your body acts as a pendulum and you "feel" this great accelleration due to your body swingiung under the canopy..... it means your too low in your swoop and your digging out...

i dont suggest this at all....

but im sure somone else has an oposite opinion...

Hey Hans,

Seems like you disagree. Would you explain the powerband then? I'm of 2 mindsets about the whole thing and would like to hear the opinion of an experienced swooper.

Blue skies
Ian

hans doesnt dissagree i taught him everything he knows. he is just pissed hes got to clean my toilet tonight...

ok ok im kidding...

but i know he doesnt dissagree he is just being a pissant

I would think that when you hear that, they just mean that they guaged the altitude before they hook and got an awsome swoop with minimal togle and/or rear riser input to dig.

well it "feels" faster doing it that way..

but watch all the pro's.. do you see them diggin?..

i think a good swoop is more about consistancy not being "the fastest" or the "most accurate" but the most "consistant"

if you have 5 runs and go verticle on one.... well most likely it is over for you..... now the guy that hit the gate every time.. but wasnt as acurate as you or as fast as you .... beats you because he was consistant and hit the gate every time.... then of course there is other factors like blade strikes , chow, whatever else i might not have mentioned....

if you are the most consistant at everything then you will do well...

Stu, to actually answer your question, the power band is the duration of a front riser turn.

For example, I can stay in a front riser turn for about five seconds before the pressure gets to high to hold the dive loop down. The idea behind it is that the amount of time, not angle, of your front riser turn determines what amount of power you will have in your swoop. Whether I do a 360 or a 180, if I spend five seconds on the turn, the result will be about the same.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Are you sure about that? It would seem that with a five second turn, a 180 would require a lower rate of turn (and subsequent angle of attack) then a five second 360 (with a higher angle of attack). Would you hit a drag limited "terminal velocity" sooner in the shallower 180 than in the steeper 360?

It seems that if the time (5 sec) were the constant, and the turn rate (and angle of attack) were the variable(s), it would be hard to come up with the same end result for the two approaches.

Am I mixed up in my thinking somehow?

Should also mention that double front risers apply to the power band. Like if you're in the position to set up for a 180 when you usually do 270s, you can do the 180 at the same rate you'd do the 270, and therefore get your canopy at the same angle as usual, then double front the rest. Nothing new here.

The PowerBand™ is just a reminder that you're a special individual... full of pumpkin love. Er... I mean... it's just a reference for the amount of time spent in a turn before the riser pressure is too high to hold. Sometimes pilot/canopy combos can't get more than a 180 in five seconds, some use their powerband up on a 360 in one second. If you're Steel, you can only do a 90 before you get to the ground. The application is up to you. The choice is yours and so forth.

Click

The "PowerBand" as I've heard it defined is using a correct amount of front riser to dive the canopy smoothly to it's maximum velocity, in conjunctuon with making a turn at apropriate altitude to require minimal input to check the dive, and finshing the dive on the desired heading.

Ask ProSwoopingTour. I *think* Jim coined the phrase.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The "PowerBand" as I've heard it defined is using a correct amount of front riser to dive the canopy smoothly to it's maximum velocity, in conjunctuon with making a turn at apropriate altitude to require minimal input to check the dive, and finshing the dive on the desired heading.

Exactly what I meant but worded better. The most efficient swoop.

hmm i didnt know this was called a "power band" what you described seems to me like it is just a perfectly executed swoop...... ive never heard it called "powerband" untill now..

i guess you learn somthing new every day

That's still an application. As far as definition goes, I should have just said:

The power band is the total amount of power generated from diving the canopy using front risers.

Examples:

1. "I was lower than I wanted to be and only got to use half of my power band, so I ended up going for a swim."
2. "He got the entire band and then didn't even touch a riser. That was f*¢king perfect!"
3. "I can use my entire power band in three seconds from 400 feet, but I prefer to spend five seconds on it from 600 feet, since my judgement isn't 100%."
4. "Free pumpkin love!"

And yes, I believe Slaton coined the term. He was the first person from whom I'd heard the term. He explained the concept with drawings and a miniature parachute at a canopy seminar.

Click

Like I said its a phrase.

Kinda like "in the groove", or "on the ball"

"He hit his power band perfectly"

Idunno, it sounds kindof silly to me when referring to canopy flight. The only time you could have a power band under a parachute would be if it were a powered chute. The origin of "power band" is a graphical depiction (that looks like a band) of power produced by an internal combustion engine at various engine speeds. Go ask any motorcycle enthusiast and he'll be able to tell you all about the difference between a smooth power band and a spiky power band.

Here are some power bands to look at, along with soem descriptions:
http://www.se-r.net/car_info/dyno/

I don't think "power band" describes canopy flight very well. It's funny how catchy the term is though... some people just love it. A friend of mine once convinced a newbie motorcyclist that he needed to buy a carbon fibre power band to make his engine really perform. This guy was skeptical about the "Check your blinker fluid regularly" advice, but he ate up the "buy a power band" idea. :P

Chris