base698

Pro-track final alarm.

I have just started doing 270 degree turns. I've noticed that my final alarm on my pro-track will usually go off right before I let off the risers. I was just curious if this happens to anyone else. When doing 180s it does it occasionally, but with 270s it does it consistently.

The ProTrack will sound the flatline alarm below the set altitude if your vertical speed exceeds 28 m/s.
This is roughly 20% less speed than what your cypres fires at (at 35 m/s or more).
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

it doesn't matter what altitude the final alarm is set for, it goes off anyway...

It used to ring when I did 270s, but maybe since I've refined my technique it stopped... now it does it when I do a 360 or more.

How have you refined your technique? Does that result in less dive? Is that a good thing?

I am a little nervous about the fact that my Protrack sounds, particularly in light of the recent death in Australia from a Vigil2 fire.

Would I be better off turning my Vigil2 off for Hop n Pops?

I know I am only jumping a 120 so it's unlikely to reach AAD firing speeds, but I don;t know how much over ProTrack sounding speed I am getting.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

†urn that vigil off if your doing any high performance!!!!!! Better yet take it out and get a cypress there are to many incidents tied into vigils firing and malfunctioning recently

If you even want a aad on during and high performance landing 90's included use a cypress speed, still there is a chance it can fire in the modern canopy piloting arena but its still much much safer vs the 78 mph activation speed of a vigil and regular cypress

dude - how are you measuring your speed?
I was getting up to 45m/s on wrist-mounted Viso and 41.7m/s on belly-mounted Cypres data-logger, but Helmut told me I should be OK. so far so good ...
granted, the peaks were below 100m/330' where the Speed says "you're on your own, now"

I generally leave my speed cypres on until I jump anything smaller than the 79.

Under the 67 I'm close (too close) to activation speeds of even the speed version.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Is this based on a 450? Am I worrying about nothing doing a 270 with a KA120?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I would consult Airtec for the official statement, but I believe it's something along the lines of "multiple revolutions should consider a speed cypress"

Ian

Or fat guys with little parachutes. ;)

I was on radar over 80mph in the dive and over 70mph on roll out in Colorado a few years ago. Then again, Mile-Hi is a special place.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."