Stealth

Elliptical or semi-elliptical ?

easy to get wrong and stall the canopy

OK, that sounds like a pretty good reason to me. I will try them up high, but I guess there are other things that might benefit me more at this point. I'm sure that there is still some room to improve on my toggle landings.

I am still curious about the riser turns though. I am sure that there is plenty more for me to learn about landing with double fronts also... it just pisses me off that I can't get the damn thing to turn.

Thanks,
Sam

Yes, that is the advice I got last weekend. I did watch the tail deflect a little when I pulled the riser all the way. But I have also tried it without holding the brake and it wasn't really any better.

Getting someone who knows what they are doing to fly it is a good idea. If it turns for them, then I will know it's just me. -Thanks

This is not advise, I jump at a swoop DZ and felt like chimeing in.
The Hornet and Saber2 canopys are so similar you wouldn't benefit trading one for the other.
If you can't do it with the Hornet, chances are you won't be able to do it with the stiletto either.
Try coming out of deep brakes to front riser turn,
when the canopy dives from letting up the brakes seems to help me and I jump a 190.
Most of the guys into swooping at my DZ go from the hornet or saber to the vengence.(read guys gaining experience)
When you get your rear riser dialed up high and are ready to take it low, do it over the pond, thats why its there.
This is not advice, just some random thought and observations.

blue skies

jerry

The Hornet and Saber2 canopys are so similar you wouldn't benefit trading one for the other.

I was not the original poster here, I just hijacked the thread. I am not considering an elliptical anytime soon. I will, however, try your advice on going from the deep brakes to the risers.

I know that when I started speeding up my canopy I could never get it shut down very well. I swore up and down there was something wrong with my break settings, but a few jumps later the problem just went away. Maybe this riser thing will to.

Thanks all for the advice.

Sam

[QUOTE]Try coming out of deep brakes to front riser turn[/QUOTE]

I was told this is a bad habit to get into because you risk your canopy collapsing. Comments, please?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Maybe in turbulent conditions. I set up my entire approach on brakes, let it surge for a few seconds and initiate my 270. I use to go straight from brakes to the front riser on the FX because the pressure was so damned high :)
I believe flying on brakes is a very GOOD habit to get into. It slows everything down and gives the pilot plenty of time to set up levels and confirm that the airspace is clear.

If conditions are such that braked approaches will negatively impact the canopy, then it's probably not a good idea to be doing performance landings right then anyway.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team