KerMor

Fingers getting squashed by the front riser loop

Does anyone has some tricks to avoid getting your finger squashed by the front riser loop (when doing front riser hook turns) ?

How do you hold your loop ?
full hand in ?
few fingers and a lot of weight lifting at home ?

I am jumping a fairly big canopy (electra 190 = 1.2wl) and I really want to get a bit more swoop out of it ... I don't want to downsize for many other reasons.

You can't determine the length of your life
- but you can control its height and depth.

Does anyone has some tricks to avoid getting your finger squashed by the front riser loop (when doing front riser hook turns) ?

Some canopies require lots more force to pull down the front risers than other canopies do. With some of these canopies I really don't think it's possible to have a comfortable pull with a typical dive loop. There are some custom mods you could do to the dive loop to make it more comfortable, but that adds bulk & can be a good bit of trial & error.

Chris

I'll be at the Byron Boogie from Friday through Sunday. I'll look at your dive loops and I can show you how I do it. It works for me so it's worth a try.

Thanks Tim, I'll show you that on Friday B|

You can't determine the length of your life
- but you can control its height and depth.

I have dive blocks instead of dive loops... better not to use the loops but grab your riser at the connector you take it higher = more movement and at least on my rig takes less strength
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

If you're grabbing the whole riser with your hand (dive blocks) then aren't you opening yourself up to a higher chance of dropping a toggle VS Dive loops where you put 2 fingers through the loop?

Just trying to make sure I understand what your saying correctly.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

well... not much more I think... actually I have my toggles in the middle of the hand, not in the fingers...
you need much more strength with just 2 fingers... moreover with many canopies, the brakes are set quite short and any input on the risers will have a negative influence on the flight characteristics due to the brakes...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Full hands in the risers greatly increases your chances of dropping a toggle. If your low in the corner and you suddenly drop your risers there is a greater chance of losing one or both toggles at the same time. I used to practice up top with situations like that and found I'd drop a toggle every dozen jump or so. Once I started putting my hand in the toggle and only using one or two fingers on the risers I've never had an issue with a dropped toggle again at altitude.

If you're pulling on your risers have your brakes set to the proper length. If you can't take the time or effort to properly adjust your brakes, don't swoop. If you can't pull down on the risers hit the Gym :P

My Jedei has super high riser pressure and I'm not exactly that strong but I can hold it down for quite a ways with just 2 fingers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You're not kidding about the 104. I have lost circulation in my fingers before when I didn't get in brakes before my turn. It really makes me feel like the canopy is hauling ass though....sweet!B|

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

you need much more strength with just 2 fingers

Besides your Index and Middle finger, the other fingers aren't that strong. A person should have the basic strength to do front riser turns with just those two fingers.

If a person doesn't have the strength, then I can tell them some excersizes to strengthen their forearms (no, not *that* "excersize")

Also, if you find that the high riser pressure is causing abrasions on your fingers from the dive loop, you can do what I do...wear gloves. The thing is, though, you need to make damn sure that you have dexterity with them (I use Mechanix gloves) and that they can't get caught in your dive loops!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

is causing abrasions on your fingers from the dive loop,

Yeah man - my fingers are bruised after a weekend of jumping since I've been doing 270's. They're getting tougher though :)
I hate gloves, but winter is coming.....ahhh crap.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team