exwhuffo

riser lenght

i don't think there is any "set" length for swooping that i have ever heard of.

i have seen many of the "pro's" on tour that have the standard lenght (21" or 22"), but i have also seen a lot of short risers (like 17"). so i really don't think it makes a big difference.

i have jumped short, and long. i like the long personally, but it's not for a longer swoop, just it felt more comfortable.

may be skymonkeyone will get on here and we'll see what his opinion is on this.

later

I have never seen a recommedation from any manufactures accept for Big Air Sportz. Brain Germain recommends 19" and I belive that 19-21 is pretty much the standard.

I you want to change to shorter og longer riser then you probably have to move you togglesetting on the lower part of the steeringlines as well. The togglekeepers will not be in the same place. If you have shorter riser the steeringlines may be a little shorter and if you have longer riser the steeringlines may be a little longer.

If your cheststrap are to short just have a rigger put on a longer one. Its an easy job og and it will be helpfull if you are a swooper :)

I dis-agree... It's a good question.

I've gone from liking 18s to 19s and now I'm making a set of 20's next. I'm only 5'6" so that's as long as I'll go.

I've asked the same question to TJ and a few others that are better swoopers than I am. After trying the slightly longer risers, I felt that the control was better.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I you want to change to shorter og longer riser then you probably have to move you togglesetting on the lower part of the steeringlines as well. The togglekeepers will not be in the same place. If you have shorter riser the steeringlines may be a little shorter and if you have longer riser the steeringlines may be a little longer.

The guide ring will always be 4 inches from the top of the riser. No changes to the steering line is required.

well, you should be comfortable with what ever you are jumping, using your head to figure this out it's not a bad think, there is not good or bad is just what you like or what you think is better for you, so again I think that nothing replace experience and if you play with difference type you will figure this out, I think.
42 and don't forget your towell

The industry standard for the guide ring attachment is 4 inches from the top of the riser (link end) to the top of the guide ring. Parachute manufacturers design the brake setting to use that measurement.

My earlier post was to indicate that As a Canopy pilot I preferred the flight charachteristics of the canopy when using longer risers. 20 inches is comfortable due to my size. Any longer and it's more of a challenge for me to reach the slider.

After discussing riser length with one world class swooper, I tried risers that were longer than what I had jumped for my entired Skydiving career (21 inches versus 18 inches). The control range was increased and it was a nicer feel.

To answer the original question, I don't know what's Ideal, but 21 seems to be a good standard. If reach is an issue, then use shorter risers. If it is not, the longer risers will probably suit you better.

Hope that helps

Tim

Longer risers do seem to give the canopy better dive. I had to extend mine because of my extended arm length. Mine are 27", with a custom placement of the dive loop. Its set now where my arm is at full extension, but not so far up that it is uncomfortable to hold onto for a while. Having the correct length will improve performance, and having the loops at the right spot makes it easier to pull down (using lats instead of bicept). You mileage may vary.

Tree B|

is there an ideal riser length for swooping.
specifically crossbraced. I need a new set.
is longer is better ? i am curious what the
pros are using.

-------------------------------------------
There are a lot of things about a parachute system that will affect the way it flies and as you continue jumping you will notice more of them. You will notice more of them because you will be more calm and therefore more attentive to your surroundings and because as you downsize certain things will be more pronounced.
But about riser length. Short risers = shorter lines = faster turns, longer dives, and a canopy that is over all more responsive to any input you give it. (Not necessarily a good thing). I have jumped 25" risers and have found them to be huge even for someone with a decent size arm span like myself 74". I have jumped 19" and found them to fast which is fine once the canopy is open but its a pain in the ass when you have line twists and the canopy is spiraling faster than it needs to be, while you are trying to kick out. It also exposes your hand more for a good slider slam. In the end I settle for what appeared to be the correct medium for me {22"}, not to fast not to slow and good for my arm length. Of course if you are flying something loaded @ 2.0 or less it will be harder for you to notice the difference and for that reason you might want to just go with the most comfortable length and not worry about performance.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I don't know for sure, but I was under the impression that longer lines (amongst other things) = longer dive arc?

Anyone know for sure or are there too many other factors to take into account?

Blue skies
Ian

-----------------------------------------------------
Ok here is my experience on that matter. There is positively no doubt in my mind that my 55 has a longer recovery arc than my 62 and my 62 than my 70. We all know the lines get shorter as the canopy gets smaller. That being said we also know there are other factors involved. But to add to my theory I recall on one of John Leblanc articles he wrote that two jumpers of different weights with the same wingloadings would have canopies that flew differently due to line length. If I recall correctly he said the smaller one would dive longer.
If I had more jumps on a velocity the same size as an FX then I would be able to say this for certain, since I know that PD has noticeably longer line lengths on their 21 chamber crossbraced canopy (velocity) than Icarus' (the FX).
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

If I had more jumps on a velocity the same size as an FX then I would be able to say this for certain, since I know that PD has noticeably longer line lengths on their 21 chamber crossbraced canopy (velocity) than Icarus' (the FX).

You think so? You don't think any differences might be because you're jumping two different canopies?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I would sugest that the recovery arc differences you experience on your canopies are mostly due to your wingloading, and it is probably magnified by the ultra high loadings you jump. Longer line length is an advantage in the swoop game, as it give more of a pendulum effect, sustaining speed thoughout the recovery arc.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

nice question.
I just went through that myself this morning when ordering my new gear. I'm 6' 00" and ordered 21" risers.

>> Short risers = shorter lines

(Not shorter lines, but shorter distance from jumper to canopy)

>> = faster turns, longer dives

This is incorrect.

The principles in the following examples are true regardless of canopy size and pilot size. They just may not be as noticable with certain combinations of wingloading.

The LONGER the distance between that imaginary point in your body where the risers would meet if they continued down from the attachment points to the bottom of the canopy, the longer the recovery arc (the amount of altitude required to swing the pilot back under the canopy after a dive).

Take it to an extreme: Imagine having 50 ft. lines on your canopy. It will take much longer for you to swing back under your canopy from a dive with the ludicrous-long lines. On the other end of the spectrum, imagine having 3 foot lines: You would swing back under your canopy very quickly with ridiculously short lines.

Brian Germain lengthened the lines on the Sensei to allow a longer recovery arc specifically for swooping. The Samurai has shorter than normal lines (compared to other canopies in its class) to make it more peppy and agile in turns (more fun).

Sorry that was so long. :)
Blue skies and safe swoops,

Andy
www.bigairsportz.com

"I drank what?" --Sophocles