CanuckInUSA

Bad Ass Swoops from an amateur

I would pass on the airlocks when it comes to wingsuit flights for the same reason I would "generally" tell people to pass on a crossbrace or a Stilletto for wingsuits. Straight openings are critical for wingsuit flight. I don't see any reason at all why a straight opening crossfire two would not be a good choice. Any reasonable canopy would do, but just last weekend I saw a Vengeance and a Velocity 79 chop (Jari chopped his Velocity). Bottom line here is that one is wise to use the best tool for the job, especially when given a choice.

Chuck

Assuming you're talking about BirdMan-style suits, not camera suits with wings...

Does the wingsuit induce unwanted or uncontrollable harness shift?

If so, then I guess any higher performance canopy that is sensitive to harness inputs would not be an ideal choice.

If the wingsuit isn't a factor at all in making harness inputs during opening, then I would say airlocks or crossbraces on the right canopy design are an excellent idea. If there is technology available to make your wing more rigid and less prone to distortion, why wouldn't you use it? Seriously.

But what is the answer to the question above? I'm curious, as I've never use a wing suit.

Thanks 2,000 lbs.! (a ton, get it?) (sorry)
Andy

"I drank what?" --Sophocles

Smooth IS key!!

Nice surfs Canuck, I still have yet to hook up with you at Mile Hi though )-:

Been campin and hikin my rear end off lately.

Anyhow - very nice smooth controls you have there.

Keep it up.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Anyhow - very nice smooth controls you have there.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Of course the same smooth landing can not be said for my last attempt on Sunday's sunset load. I just came off of an awesome 3-way headdown freefly and attempted to swoop the high performance landing area. But I was more concerned about entering the course than I was about safely negotiating the course and I flared a tad late, popped up due to my speed and control inputs and was forced to PLF. But hopefully I learned a lesson or two. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Assuming you're talking about BirdMan-style suits, not camera suits with wings...

Yes, apples and oranges. I am talking BirdMan suits.

Does the wingsuit induce unwanted or uncontrollable harness shift?

The canopy deploys behind you, not above you, in wingsuit flight, thus ANY shifting in the harness or asymetry is compounded exponentially. We throw with a perfectly straight back, do not look over either shoulder, and make damn sure both wings are collapesed to the same degree on both sides. Anything else and we risk very bad, sometimes irrecoverable linetwists. You see, the few seconds it takes to free your arms from the wings are all it takes to get your small pocket rocket around too many times to un-spin. Hope that makes sense.

Chuck