blu

X-aos vs Vx

You'll get a bunch of opions on this one.

My opinion hands down is the Xaos. Great openings and Very manageble riser pressure. Turns fast, kinda like a stiletto. It flies very nicely and the surf? ... boy does it surf....

It's not for the meek, nor is the VX. Be ready for it if you're looking in to getting either one.

The service I recieved was trememdous.

You didn't ask but I have to add this next part. As with any canopy with HMA or Vectran lines... Be on it and check your brake lines often. They reccomend replace every 3-4 hundred jumps... I'm not waiting that long. They are easy and cheap to change. A brake line breaking on final is brutal, if not deadly...
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

i like them both. i have jumped them both, and i think both are great canopies.

i think they are very similar in flight. one has light front riser pressure (xaos) and one has heavy (vx). the other has heavy rear riser pressure (xaos) and the other has light (vx). toggle pressure is the same. i think both are great canopies. both open well, as long as you have a newer vx.

the vx, you have to be a bit more ontop of your hook altitude because of the heavy riser pressure, you can't like add more riser if your a bit high, compared to the xaos you can.

either canopy your going to be very happy with. the velocity is also another choice, it is a great canopy. you would be happy with any of the 3. all have great swoops, and nice openings.

later

Chris,

Thank you for such a refreshing post from a gear manufacture. Instead of trying to bash the other brand or trying to push your brand, you gave a good honest answer that is what the jumper will most likely do anyways.

That is very refreshing to see. Thank you!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think Chris can afford to let you try them both out and make your own descision because he knows which you'll choose. ;)

I have had a Xaos 21 and am now on a 27(77sqft) and i haven't had a bad opening yet. The 27 seems to open slightly faster than the 21 but nerarly always bang on heading.

I find the front riser pressure very easy to cope with and alter part way through the swoop and although i have only done about 15 landings on rears up to now i find the rear riser pressure is also very manageable. The swoops are great and the flare power at the end just goes on forever.

Just one last thing that might sway your choice.
Chris was not only good enough to take my 21 in part exchange but had two spanking new 27's to us in the UK in less than 4 weeks. I have been reading some not so positive threads on Icarus but the customer service from Precision has been absolutely brilliant and although I can only speak from my own experiences both times I have dealt with the company they have bent over backwards to help which is nice in our minority sport. :)
My life is in Xaos!!!

As already mentioned Chris sent two Xaos 27 to us in England and needless to say with the soft predictable openings, the superb handling, riser pressure which makes you feel in control all the way through the swoop and the service from Chris
I'll just add
thanks Chris
the world is Xaos!!!;)

I have only jumped VX's but people I know who have jumped both prefer the VX unless they are sponspored by precision. Also the VX is original and the Chaos is an obvious copy with their "improvements". I say it that way because as I understand it, their main goal is a softer opening. Since I can jump a VX-55 without any problems about the VX openings, I hardly think its worth sacraficing performance for a better opening. But that is my opinion.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I just got it and only have 20 jumps on it. When I get some pictures, I will post them. But I don't think it will look drastically diferent than my vx-62 which is on my avatar.

I would like to differ,I've jumped a Vx and liked it until I jumped a Xaos 27 the openings are a million times better.! They open like my Crossfire2 without all the fuss a Vx has!!! They are bit better in my eyes,And I'm willing to put up my Xaos 27 93sf to your VX 55!!! Whatca think!!!;)

I would like to differ,I've jumped a Vx and liked it until I jumped a Xaos 27 the openings are a million times better.! They open like my Crossfire2 without all the fuss a Vx has!!! They are bit better in my eyes,And I'm willing to put up my Xaos 27 93sf to your VX 55!!! Whatca think!!!

----------------------------------------
First I want to state the obvious. That being that competition between two people using different canopies does not come even close to proving which canopy is better. Next I notice that you are speaking of how good you think the openings are in the Xaos which suggests that you think the openings on the VX are a problem. That is our first disagreement. I don't think there is any problem with the VX openings.
Now for something that I believe does provide an answer in comparing canopies, I would have to look at what I could expect jumping Xaos-27 93 or a VX-55 or for that matter what you or anybody else could expect. If you load the 93 at a minimum of 2.2 then you know its going to swoop further and shutdown easier but you also know its going to swoop slower. So which is better? That is for the jumper to decide. But rather than go over the obvious, the real question is how the Xaos and the VX compare. I believe if you take two of the same size that the Xaos will open a little softer but the VX will have more bottom end lift because it has a steeper angle of descent and has not already used up that portion of its lift. I see it almost as if the Xaos is starting its swoop with a certain degree of brake input compared to the VX. I believe the VX will swoop further and faster because the angle of descent if steeper. I also think all the lines without the cascades form more drag and create a mess that I find displeasing to look at and I don't trust HMA lines. Perhaps if I am missing something somebody else can point it out.

[QUOTE]VX will have more bottom end lift because it has a steeper angle of descent and has not already used up that portion of its lift. [/QUOTE]

doesnt a steeper angle of descent also mean less foward motion, i.e. less of a glide angle? Just checking...

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

doesnt a steeper angle of descent also mean less foward motion, i.e. less of a glide angle? Just checking...
------------------------------------------
Actually although its not a direct relation I see it like real flight terms (airplane pilot terms. VX and VY. VX= equals best glide angle for climbing & and clearing obstactles. VY= best rate of climb. This is defined for every airplane. Anyway a steeper angle of descent will give more speed and even though glide ratio is less the overall ground speed can be more. When perfroming a high performance landing you start by diving the canopy toward the ground at a far steeper angle anyway. The goal is to position yourself such that you need to use the least amount of input possible to maintain your canopy flying because since you don't have an engine to keep you moving you can only put so much input before your speed decreases to the point that your canopy can no longer fly. If you have a canopy that has a shallower trim then its like it imediately pulls down on you rear rsers for you which already starts to use some of that lift that you are trying to preserve. Airplanes have a best glide speed which you set with a trimtab in the case of an emergency. On a 152 that is 60 knots, 65 on a 172. The point there is you can set the trim for what ever you want on an airplane but on a canopy its preset and there is nothing you can do to change it. It is either optimal or it isn't and I think the VX is closer to optimal in its straight and level foward speed than the Xaos.

I would like to differ,I've jumped a Vx and liked it until I jumped a Xaos 27 the openings are a million times better.! They open like my Crossfire2 without all the fuss a Vx has!!! They are bit better in my eyes,And I'm willing to put up my Xaos 27 93sf to your VX 55!!! Whatca think!!!

----------------------------------------
First I want to state the obvious. That being that competition between two people using different canopies does not come even close to proving which canopy is better. Next I notice that you are speaking of how good you think the openings are in the Xaos which suggests that you think the openings on the VX are a problem. That is our first disagreement. I don't think there is any problem with the VX openings.
Now for something that I believe does provide an answer in comparing canopies, I would have to look at what I could expect jumping Xaos-27 93 or a VX-55 or for that matter what you or anybody else could expect. If you load the 93 at a minimum of 2.2 then you know its going to swoop further and shutdown easier but you also know its going to swoop slower. So which is better? That is for the jumper to decide. But rather than go over the obvious, the real question is how the Xaos and the VX compare. I believe if you take two of the same size that the Xaos will open a little softer but the VX will have more bottom end lift because it has a steeper angle of descent and has not already used up that portion of its lift. I see it almost as if the Xaos is starting its swoop with a certain degree of brake input compared to the VX. I believe the VX will swoop further and faster because the angle of descent if steeper. I also think all the lines without the cascades form more drag and create a mess that I find displeasing to look at and I don't trust HMA lines. Perhaps if I am missing something somebody else can point it out.

"Openings on a xaos are a million time better" doesn't suggest that the vx openings are a problem, instead that he found the xaos openings more desireable...

"Xaos is starting its swoop with a certain degree of brake input compared to the VX"
How can you possibly back up this statement?

How can you make these comparisions without having jumped one of the canopies that you're talking about?

If someone wants to know the similiarities and differences between the two canopies, they should go out and jump both canopies, and talk to both manufacturers about the canopy's characteristics.

We're all really into what we jump, and the companies we support, but when someone is asking for a constructive side by side comparision, it's probably better to leave that to people who have jumped both wings... right?

If someone wants to know the similiarities and differences between the two canopies, they should go out and jump both canopies, and talk to both manufacturers about the canopy's characteristics.

We're all really into what we jump, and the companies we support, but when someone is asking for a constructive side by side comparision, it's probably better to leave that to people who have jumped both wings... right?
-----------------------------------------------------
I don't disagree with this and the first thing I did say was that I had not jumped the Xaos. But just as well, I have never jumped a spectre or a vengence and have no desire to. I know enough about canopy flight characteristics to look at them and say for certain that they do not have the performance I am looking for in a canopy. Granted the differences between a VX and a Xaos 27 are more subtle but as I stated previously it is simply my opinion that the differences are definded clearly enough that I (me) do not feel the need to go out and demo a Xaos. If they ever do release a cross-braced airlocked canopy as is rumoured that Mike Swanson is jumping, I would probably be interested in demoing something like that.

If they ever do release a cross-braced airlocked canopy as is rumoured that Mike Swanson is jumping, I would probably be interested in demoing something like that.

Right on... Brian Germain sent one up to a jumper at the Ranch for some feedback, and it's a really great looking canopy.
Safe Swoops
-drew

hey this is blu ( mexico) thanx for the posts everyone.

hey drew i might come to the ranch i a couple of months my mail> [email protected] glad to hear from you and hope everything is great

safe swoops everyone
***Keep it fun, stay alive***
Safe swoops
Azul
Follow Orbita on Twitter @freeflyorbita