johan

Atair Onyx

i had no problem getting the demo i wanted (a 85 comp), it's just when i got it i hated it (personally, i just fly my canopy different than what the cobalt needs to be flown to get decent swoops, and i didn't care for the toggle stroke (the breaks were set super short, and then had another setting about 2 inches longer, but it was still too short for my likeing, and the openings sucked ass)

dude, you have a crossed braces already, why step down to a non crossed braced. i mean if comp cobalts are swooping the furthest or are the best swoop canopy, then wouldn't everyone (or a lot more if any) on the pro swooping tour have them.

that's just something to think about.

now if you want a camera canopy, well, i had bad openings as i said, but i've heard others say they had good openings

later

In last week-end I tried the Onyx 75. in spite having few jumps here it is my opinion:
Container: Racer
Pilot chute: ZP 24 "
Wind: null
Wing load: 2,36

Construction:
The canopy have a crossed panels (ribs) it is sewn along whole the cord of the top skin and bottom skin without any other vertical rib besides the normal vertical rib in the center cell.
The nose is open, with finishes in triangle and not partial closed like other cross-braced canopys
The platform have to AR 2,7/1 and real volume that I measured is 74,7 Sq ft
I heard that the onyx have a size short lines. Is not true the onyx have a line size similar to cobalt canopys.

Pack: standard propack, with center cell open, 4 out nose cells roll 1/2 turn for inside (not inside the center cell), quartered slider with lip close to the center cell. Well to center the nose and only 2 turns in tail.

I admit that am always a little distrustful as I jump a canopy cross-braced, but Onyx surprised me nicely. Soft opennings, some snivel that demands to drive the canopy in this phase. The bad final "kick in back" and front dive didn't happen, that is normal in some canopys cross-braced.
The opennings is soft like the coventional nine cell zp and the canopy is sensitive to harness inputs.

In flight: Very sensitive canopy
Glide Ratio steep.
Aggressive and a few oversteer in turns.
Very low pressure of front risers

Landing:
For swoop approaches I think is good option to 270 turn to up 600 feet high with it wing load Good swoop and flare very very long with big power bottom lift same with in the wind. With my wing load we can begin a 270 to 1000 feet
Although has an negative and long recovery arch, the canopy levels with a lot of easiness to the minimum input. For big swoop that the canopy need a lot of attention in the transition for the flare because if the input is violent we lost speed that necessary for a long flare.

In summary:
The manufacture and concept is the habitual great quality Atair, very good workmanship and top concept together with the ZP Gelvenor fabric that guarantee a top performance and long life for the Onyx.
I think that this canopy is in the continuation of the modern cross braced canopys and I think that has potential for to compete in the swoop competitions with any current cross braced canopy with top pilot
I am no swoop competitor. It is only my opinion

Roq