garywainwright

To back riser or not to back riser...

What works better; back risering or absolutely nailing it without back risers? When i was in deland in April i noticed that Rickster wasn't back risering at all and to me he seemed like the best canopy pilot there and also seemed to go the furthest (there were a lot of good people there!!)
I've attached a pic of Rickster, he finishes his turn then holds this position perfectly still until he puts his feet down.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

14 copy.jpg

Not that I know anything about rear riser landings...but if you see some people with their arms really far back in the toggles in an attempt to flatten the canopy....
this can have the effect of pulling the riser out slightly as in your picture of Rickster.

I can see this phenomena on my canopy everytime I fly.

bloo skies

P.S. Rickster is definitely one of the best...but..you should have seen me swoop in Deland last week...:D:D:D
J/K;)
sort of:ph34r:

"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

He may be only be taking up slack in the toggles but the rear risers are being pulled outwards by the action.

That is the opinion of some of the "non rear riser" swoopers" anyway. I know on my canopy it is very sensitive on rears so I imagine not much deflection is required (during the proper part of the arc of course) to have an efficient swoop.

I don't have enough experience to mess with my risers and risk a dynamic stall, so I just do the toggle thing, but I have seen Nathan Gilbert, Hans Paulsen and TJ Landgren get fantastic distance by properly applying rear risers. Seems like the main benifit is they flatten out glide but maintain speed for much longer distance since the drag of the tail being deflected by toggles may not be present.

hmmmmm
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I am obviously NOT a hot-shit canopy pilot, I do however listen, here's what someone who IS a hot-shit canopy pilot said about this very question:

"Don't even think about playing with the idea of using your rear risers for high performance landings until you get so good and so bored of your normal swoop that you're thinking about quitting jumping..."

Yeah, he was being a little humorous, but the point he was trying to get across is still there. That was Perry Perkins, by the way.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Rickster is a dork.

That may be true (never met him), but he's a dork that can pilot a canopy at the virtuoso level and I never tire of seeing his skills on video.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I talked to Rickster - this is what he had to say:

Hey you one man freek show.
What board did you find that photo on? It is a good photo. If you participate you can tell them that I
do use them sometimes. I like to keep people guessing. Sorta like being
ambidexterous.

So there you go.
Derek