Unutsch

dragging a foot on swoop - dangers????

reading the "injury????" thread made me wonder:

everyone knows how cool and stylish swoops look when the swooper makes a thing with his/her legs (everyone goes :o uuuuu, and then, if he/she lands OK, aaaaa - is there a name for this??? i'll just refere to it as the looker). but what are the possible injuries that can, or have occured to you or people you know, and what kind of a looker did they do?

ThX!!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

You saw where I talked about my knee right?

Alright, I was doing that, caught a rut with my foot, my foot/leg stopped, I didn't, ended up tearing my MCL and doing ACL damage. I did that back in the beginning of July and I still have trouble running distances over a few yards.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Oh, I can jump, I was jumping the next weekend (with a $400 brace on my knee), but I am unable to run distances over a few yards with out pain.

Short of the story is, don't be an idiot and knee injuries suck.

After swooping the pond at the convention dragging my foot a little is kind of a habit...

Maybe I should stop??

Actually, Rob, so long as you are doing it in a manner that replicates pond swooping, then it's something you may want to keep in practice if you ever want to compete. I am not sure, but it sounds like Dave stuck his front leg, not the one he was dragging behind him. Is that right, Dave?

No, it was the one I was draggin behind me. The biggest problem was that I was dragging it with my foot turned out some, instead of straight down. That foot (trailing) caught a rut that pulled me knee out and down sideways to the joint. It popped out, popped back in and I still had a lot of speed left, so I laid on my side, flaring out my canopy to stop, seeing how I was in a decent amount of pain.

Two things I did wrong: 1) dragging my foot at an angle 2) Doing this in a not-so-smooth landing area.

Some people don't drag for style, so much as they drag to unload the canopy. If you are going to do so, you need to have a landing area that you know well, and is pretty smooth. To reduce risk (and drag) I usualy don't start unloading until the very last seconds of the surf when canpy is slowed way down and beginning to lose lift.

PS, i drag both feet, one if front of the other, and end up with all my weight on my front foot.

Z

Some people don't drag for style, so much as they drag to unload the canopy. If you are going to do so, you need to have a landing area that you know well, and is pretty smooth. To reduce risk (and drag) I usualy don't start unloading until the very last seconds of the surf when canpy is slowed way down and beginning to lose lift.

PS, i drag both feet, one if front of the other, and end up with all my weight on my front foot.

Z

that's what i do... i'm just thinking (with all of my 0,04% of working parts of my brainy): is it possible, that at the start of the flair, if you put your leg / legs on the ground, you actually take some weight of the canopy, and thus make a difference in the flair?

is it possible, that at the start of the flair, if you put your leg / legs on the ground, you actually take some weight of the canopy, and thus make a difference in the flair?

I think I am following you here... and the answer is a BIG YES!!!

I really need a few beers to talk about all of this, but the basics behind unloading a canopy is this:
Lift=weight when you are surfing level. As you slow, your lift decreases (airspeed=lift) so you give more input (usually toggles) to change the wing to convert more airspeed into lift and keep sufring. Most people keep doing this until they are at full input. HOwever, on any canopy that is even moderatly loaded, it can not produce enough lift to keep you level at slow speed (even say 5/6mph)...thus you can't STOP the canopy, you have to take a few steps. On smaller canopies it will stop generating enough lift to keep you level (in no wind condition) at a high enough speed that you have to RUN like hell at the end of your landing(in most cases) . I"m sure you have seen this plenty of times.
So what if while you are surfing and the canopy starts to slow down to the point where it has to decend, you put some weight on the ground with your feet (knees, whatever). Now the canopy doesn't have to produce as much lift to keep flying level. To make a long story short, if you gradually ad weight to the ground as you slide, you can keep the canopy flying until there is no speed left...and come to a total (or at least most of the time DAMN near) stop.

It takes some time to learn how to do, and you need a good landing area. I will drag a toe sometimes at the begining of a surf, but I never start to unload until near the end. When you start putting a large % of your body weight on the ground at real high speed....bad things can happen: anything from blown knees and ankles if u hit a bump/hole, to poping your ass back up in the air if you unload too much.

Did that answer your question?

Z

aha, i see, THANKS A LOT!!!!

:-))

this was all happening to me, just couldn't tell what it was! (shit, like I would be eating spaghetti all the time (my favourite), but wouldn't know it's spaghetti! damn...

To see a practial demo of how unloading works, and how you can manage or screw up the ratio of lift from a canopy and weight put upon the canopy (vs the ground),.... think about this. Have you ever seen someone who was deep in the corner on landing and hit the ground, but they were not so deep in the corner that they femured? You know, when they "skip" by hitting the ground when they didn't mean to but their angle of attack was flat enough to keep them from really gettin hurt and the canopy takes them back up in the air a few feet...and then come back down. Their wing is hauling ass and has a ton of airspeed (airspeed=lift..thus is producing a lot of lift), then when they hit they put a big portion of their weight on the ground...too much weight on the ground. Now the canopy is making tons of lift, but has no weight on the wing (all on the ground)...so the canopy goes UP until it re-equilizes, planes out, and comes back down (usually into a nasty spill).

Z

well.... not really. there are 2 basic ways to hit when you don't mean to by being deep in the corner. If you are almost planed out, then you just "skip" with most of your movement still being forward, but you pop up a few feet. If you are real deap and you smack, you bounce up, and almost all of your fwd speed is gone. You will land very close to where you hit most of the times. All that energy was spent breaking bones and shooting femurs out of your ass.
Bounce...skip,....the same but differnt i guess.
haha
Z

ok, seriously now, this happened 2 times to me this year (but i only made 96 jumps.... hope to make some this weekend or on the new years boogie in Vrsar (I want to make 100 jumps/year!!!!!!), and checking your profile said nothing to me: so please state your nr. of jumps, current canopy, wingloading (the usual stuff)...
i'm just currious

This is taken from his Full Profile, which is the link under his picture:

Home DZ: skydive texas
License: D 21616
Licensing Org: uspa
Number of Jumps: 1300

Preferred Disciplines
First: Formation Skydiving
Second: Freefall Photography
Photographer: Yes