konradptr

Performance of Stiletto, Vengence, and Velocity???

I've been lurking this thread and I second Ramon. 900 jumps and extremely knowledgeable... experience counts no doubt, then again, there are those with 1,000 jumps and don't know shit.

I haven't said a word because hell I've only got 600 jumps, what do I know.

1. It pisses me off

So I can see but I think times have moved on a little. We now don't have to learn everything the hard way as others have already been there. This is a good sport to choose to learn from the mistakes of others. However there is some risk, there will always be - we're jumping out of a perfectly normal plane for example :P This is also not a sport that is likely to attract the shrinking violets of society, it a sport that by it's nature attracts thrill seekers who accept a much higher level of risk than normal people would consider acceptable. Even within our community there are differences of opinion on what is an acceptable level of risk. Intelligent application of sound education is the best way I know of mitigating risk, and these forums provide a significant amount of education, although in any practical activity there is no substitute for practical education, and the higher the risk the more education should be sought.

People die swooping. People die skydiving. People die driving their cars around town. People die. I see no need to restrict the actions of others or moan at them for their choices, but I do try to educate them on the risks so that they can make an informed decision. They're adults, and I respect their right to make that decision (with their psychiatric carer :ph34r:).

Maybe the relatively safety of skydiving now has caused the true thrill seekers to an outlet that brings back the original dangers and excitement of skydiving (pure hypothesis, I haven't been in the sport long enough to even guess). And at 600 jumps I'm a mere baby.
Rich M

I know a hell of alot about flying a small canopy.
I was jumping one of the first 69 x braced ones.

I am also a pilot.

It is cool you can act like a parrot and quote what others say....

But do you really understand?....hell maybe YOU do...But I am willing to bet that A LOT of folks don't have a clue. And the fatality reports seem to verify my thoughts.

I will not say YOU should not jump anything...you signed a waiver....

And by "Bitching" I AM doing something....I am letting others know that a guy in FL, who has 2500 jumps under:
Raven III
Raven II
Esprit 120 (Do you even KNOW what that is?)
NOVA 99 (Yeah got a cool Tshirt)
Stiletto 120
Stiletto 107
Jedei 95
Extreme 88
Extreme 69
Sharp Chuter
Star Trac I
Sabre 107
Vengeance 107
Velocity 96
PD 113 6 rides WHOHOOOO

Who is PRO rated under the Sharp Chuter, Star Trac and Velocity. Gives a shit about abunch of people he does not know, and does not want them to DIE....

Have you had a friend DIE yet? I have had several.
I have held a persons body closed while they bleed out in front of me.....Have you?

So I am doing something...Like I said I will never tell you what you should jump.....I guess you are a GOD.

But for those that want to listen I will preach all day long.....

I have said this for years
"You can jump something smaller if you LIVE through the canopy you have now".

Rant off.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hey, if you're wanting to open up a can of flames, do it in the PMs, not here.

Now, in response to your rant. There are people like me out there, who have had two different canopy courses and many coached canopy jumps and are learning very rapidly, with that said, I am by no means any sort of highspeed-skygod-swooper. There are guys like Ramon out there who have had all sorts of coaching and is very talented, also.

Basically, don't assume that you're the only person who understands canopy flight. Also, don't make the mistake and assume that you're also the only person to have seen people get killed under a perfectly good canopy or see people be permenatly crippled under a good canopy, or even just get very lucky under canopy. You're not, get over it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Your preaching to the choir. I don't want people to downsize before they are ready, but if a skydiver asks a question on a forum I may answer it if I know the answer (I don't ever remember advocating anyone jump a cross brace). Maybe it would be better to answer their questions than have them experiment on their own. Maybe there is no guidance such as yours at their DZ to guide them. Some DZs have very little "canopy" guidance.

Yes I have had a friend die in front of me last March, and I warned "staff" about what he was doing the day before and had a "pep" talk with him minutes before, and we were all saddened.

I'm guessing an Espirit was an old Flight Concepts canopy if not a french one spelled "Esprit".

I am not a god or a pilot nor do I go around insulting people that make me mad online. But I knew what a negative recover arc is and I have experienced it and I was sharing my knowledge with someone that asked.

I know I can't change peoples minds by bitching and I know I am not a good example, but I do try and calmly explain to other jumpers what they are doing wrong and what can happen in the hopes that they might listen as opposed to blowing me off.

bloo skies

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Well now we are getting somewhere....

I am very worried that someone IE...USPA, FAA...ect steps in and starts to try and regulate who can jump what.

I know that there are several 200 jump wonders that can handle very fast canopies..

I also know that there are jumpers with thousands of jumps that can, and have killed themselves with a Manta.

The people with thousands of jumps have not learned yet, and I doubt they ever will...

However the new guys comming up.... Some of them read this forum....Too many times all they get are people telling them to "Get the swoop on, and get the Pocket Rockett Pro X 99".
I know, I was told to get a Stiletto 97 back when I had 300 jumps. I went and got a 120...and hooked that Muther FU*&er right in on jump 3. If it had been a 97 I might not have ever walked again. As it was I was young and, didn't kill myself. A lot of people were suprised to see me walk. There were rumors I was dead. Really funny really. "Hey, I thought you died!!?!?!?"

So, if my "Ranting" gets one guy to think twice about getting a canopy that might kill him....I'll do it all day long.

This was not a slam to you. Like I said I will never tell someone what to jump....your all adults. And you signed a waiver.

I just want people to know what they are getting into.
Get a small canopy...screw up a little bit, and you can DIE.

Life is to fragile to not take care of it.

Education is the key, but a lot of people don't know they need it.

As for you not being a good example...I never said that. You might be the one person that saves someones life with what you know/show.

Please, continue to teach....I will continue to rant, and teach.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334