encinoadam

Student Cypres Fire

Funny how a topic can drag do far away!

Anyhow, I was on a skydiving "sebatical" for few years because I did not want to get a rig without a Cypres and did not have the money to buy one. Then when I got some chash I got a band new, but cheep, rig. With the money I saved on the container, reserve, and main, I got the little German thingy.

Yes it is no sobstitute for proper training and altitude awarness but the way I see it, it's kinda like an insurance policy; you have it, you might never use it but if you needed it you are glad you bought it. In the case of the Cypres if you needed one and did not have it, chances are you'll never find out anyway.
Memento Audere Semper

I don´t think my cypress is a factor when it comes to what handel I will pull if i leave the plane in an emergency.
If I leave low enough for my cypress to fire I would go for my reserve in any case because I´m probably to low for a second chanse if my first canopy fails any way...
Emagine leaving at 1600´ deploying at low speed, maybe a few seconds of delay due to vaccum, a snivel that lasts for maybe a second longer than ussual and then you notice a mal... Then I don´t think you have the alltitude to safely cutaway anyway...

Cya

>So you are of the mind a cypres makes no difference in your
> emergency procedures at all?

With an expert cypres, and a 'normal' skydiving situation - no. If it were an unusual situation, and I was going low intentionally (i.e. I knew I was going to take it to 1000 feet, due to someone directly over me) then I would go straight for the reserve, because I would have time to plan for it. But for a panic pull due to losing A/A, a low bailout, or in terms of cutaway decision altitudes, my procedures don't change.

1600' with a cypres, I'm going for silver. I'd rather risk my reserve not opening than 2 canopies out.

In this scenario (given earlier) wasn't it an engine-out emergency bail-out on initial climb given? At what AGL does your Cypres become "active"? I had thought that it was somewhere higher than this (I honestly can't recall).

Regardless though, considering that this is basically therefore a "hop-n-pop" (albeit with a bit more of added stress :P perhaps), and you haven't been otherwise in freefall for greater than 6-10 seconds, I doubt you would reach either velocity or altitude to fire the Cypres if you immediately pitched your main in this situation (bail-out), "snivel" or not. ...More food for thought / debate?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

>1600' with a cypres, I'm going for silver. I'd rather risk my reserve
> not opening than 2 canopies out.

This is really only a risk with a very snivelly (5+ seconds) canopy. It takes that long to reach activation speed. And if you have a canopy that snivelly, you may want to consider going out on your reserve even without a cypres.

Just a word of new wisdom. A couple of weeks ago, I turned on my cypres and watched it start counting down and set down my rig to dirt dive. After having a couple of weird openings on a new canopy, I had one of the packers pack for me. Gone back to dirt diving another 20way. A friend called me to the pack room but I was too busy DD. When we were done, he came over and told me the packer wanted me to know that my cypres
was turned off. I argued that I turned it on first thing before jumping. I went inside to gear-up and found it still off. Thinking why my packer hadn't turned it on for me, I turned it back on only to find out the battery had suddenly
gotten too low to activate the unit! A month earlier the indicator was showing plenty of life left.
Lesson learned; don't depend on your AAD to save your ass (which I don't unless I'm unconscious or unable to pull),
If you have one, don't just assume it is always on just because you turned it on before the first jump.
Another thing to add; Know how many feet that your main takes to open so that if you are low you know which handle to go for! My hard deck is 1400' to go to my reserve first
because I know my opening distances, snivelly or not
Hope you find some useful info here.
C

I agree with your point.

I would hope so, since......

My point is: " Complacency KILLS".

That was the exact point I was trying to make. If your Instructor had not been complacent about his own training, the world would be a better place because he would still be with us and sharing his knowledge and devotion to the sport. Time heals all wounds if you will let it.
alan

something else to consider, that if you are exiting at 1600 ft in an emergency, you are most likely going to be making a sub-terminal opening....chances are that even if your main were to snivel, you would not have a vertical fall rate fast enough to activate a cypress.....i would go out on my main....i would never jump without a cypress (canuck, don't want to get off topic b/c of wording).....

just my $0.02

djb the monkey

I know over here in Australia, you must have an AAD until you have your C license (100 jumps) as of Dec 1st it will be until you have your D license. If you have a D and no AAD you must hav an RSL until your E license (500 jumps)

I agree with that but, we don't have a "E"Lic. we have "rating(endorments for uses chosen.)