fool

just curious...

What was every bodies favorite canopy in the 80's?

... a Vybak 2 ply ...

Hey, it was over my head, was crowned on the top skin, flat underneath, and kept me dry. Max speed was about 90 mph, and by my calculation it was about a 16 sq ft. Landing, however, required that I flew it first, and THAT required that I DROVE it off a cliff;););) It was the convertible top from my 1965 Triumph TR-4A IRS (no, not THEM). I still own the car but I have no money to restore it since I've started skydiving. Oh well...

Swoop THAT, Hutch ;)

The Dave

..wait till it's on the road with the Judson supercharger, even Dan J. won't be able to catch me :P

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Haha, dont know if that old timer remark was aimed at me or not, but since it was in response to my post, I'll bite ;)

Still have the Firelite in my second rig that i never use, but as a reserve and have never used it....only jumped one 80's canopy, and that was my first but old and trusty 8-900 jump Raider 220 that still had flare in it and slammed me on openings all the time. Still have that one too :P
Fave old canopy gotta be my old sweet PdF BT-60....still have that in a bag at home, only got 230 jumps that one....from -91 and its in such a good condition B| anybody intrested in bying it LOL???;)
chris

I also missed the 80's...ok, and the 90's...but so far my favorite canopy is a...samurai 120 hehehe:)

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

no shot intended or implied. I just wish to stir up a conversation
jumped a raider ... does this mean you are bigger...what's the coolest landing you ever did with it?
A bt 60...british canopy right, three chamber endcells? And a cool landing for it?
With my first firelite I cranked a turn at 150 ish and over rotated so I was aimed a bit tighter towards things than I liked. I was screaming down at car 9missed it 5 ft. maybe), flared hard around the corner, steered to miss the fire pit and skidded a stop before hitting a trailer. My heart was pounding, the Hutterite spectators were cheering. Tin Tin, a experinced skydiver from Quebec came and patted me on the back " cool landing...very cool" there was a wicked gleam in his eye and I knew He was serious when he said " next time use the rizers." I thought he was nuts
Hutch

Stirred conversation it is then :P

Guess i coma across as a old fart, but we in sweden are not as new gear crazy as the yanks, so that why im jumping older stuff.

Raider, yeah, fina canopy that...nar..not that big but it was available and cheap so i got...bets landing with it..hmmm...gotta be the around my jump 80 or so....i had NEVER buttslided or crashed a landing before this one, not even as a student, but as with all things, they gotta happen. Well this was in front of a TV crew doing a feature on our DZ, and whose landing did they show on prime time....MOI!

BT-60...british yeah right...french top stuff that. If i am correct first elliptical canopuy on the market, helluva turns with that one, but no frontriser turns at all (some say that is dangerous)....bets landing with that...winter day, air so thick you could cut it with a knife, me overshooting waaay to much, and to miss our manifest shed i landed in a flat braked flared turn....not fun but boy did i learn lots ;)
Yep, three chamber endcells.....it was shock pink to...it STILL is as i still got it....

gotta go, lunch, cheers
chris

Favorite canopy of the 80's? Look at my profile ;)
Until I can make it back out to the DZ and finish downsizing to my new-to-me 150, I'm still jumping it. Bought it new.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)