RichM

Swooping perception?

I know most crossbraced do the same thing and its either a love/hate thing with it. It actully requires a bump of the toggles to plane the Samauri out after a dive. The flare I found was getting good surfs on the demo I was jumping was a bump at about 8 feet up then reapplying the brakes to flare about a full second after the bump.I was only doing double fronts so its hard to tell how it would react to more speed (But I'd guess only better).
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

In the U.S. we use inches of mercury and a 1 inch variation equals about a 1000 foot variance -- so it's pretty easy.

Since local barometric pressure only varies about 1 inch in total anyway (about 500 feet either side of normal), I think you can see it's not usually the most sigificant factor here -- temperature is.

Thanks Quade, I didn't realise the relative insignificance of ground pressure to density altitude. Would it be worth adding something to that effect on your web page to cater for non fixed-wing pilots?
Rich M

Additionally, as relative humidity increases molecules of air are being replaced with molecules of water. So the air becomes even less dense on a hot and humid day.
Ken

what do you mean that "molecules of air are being replaced with molecules of water" ?
where do they go ? why are they being replaced ? if relative humidity increases there will
be more water in the air and the same amount of air molecules. shouldn't air in this
case get more dense ? even if they were replaced, why whould it make air less dense ?

stan

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

shouldn't air in this
case get more dense ? even if they were replaced, why whould it make air less dense ?

Water is more dense in a liquid state than air, however, when water is a gas it is less dense than air.

Why? Air is -mostly- nitrogen. Water is hydrogen and oxygen. If you have two two containers, the same size, temperature and pressure, one containing a normal mixture of dry air and the other water as a gas, then the combined molecular weight (all the protons, neutrons and electrons) of the air is more than the combined molecular weight of the water. Therefore, water as a gas is less dense.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

combined molecular weight (all the protons, neutrons and electrons) of the air is less than the combined molecular weight of the water. Therefore, it's less dense.

if water weight is more then dry air weight and thus in wet air we have more weight for the same
volume, wouldn't that make wet air more dense ? more weight, the same volume = more dense,
right ?

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Just to get the thread kind of back on track for the non-scientific set out there: YES, there is definitely a learning curve for every single DZ or course you are jumping. Beer line swoopers get very used to the set of visual cues they see each and every time they make their turn. People who travel and compete (not cracking on people who don't, so don't think that's my intent here) absolutely MUST show up at least one day in advance to make practice runs over the pond. Every single course is different, at least in my experience, so one must take full advantage of any practice time alloted them. Case in point: my first PPPB meet in Perris last spring. I showed up the day before the meet, late in the day due to work constraints, and only got two runs on the pond prior to competition. My sight picture was completely fucked, so the next day I was at a distinct disadvantage. I did pretty good at that meet (12th), but that was only because I got much better every round. You see, the Perris pond had absolutely no terrain to judge your turn off of. I, as a "terrain judging turner" had to modify my technique to the new sight picture I was seeing. The people that were "altimeter height turners" had a much easier time. In the end, you have two choices: start making your setup and final turn based on altitude and density (if you are jumping at a very-different altitude than normal), or show up early and ease into the new terrain. Both work equally well.

Chuck

As it gets hotter, the molecules of air are not as dense because they moving faster.
Ken

sorry, couldn't help it :)

when it gets hotter it's less dense simply because the iar raises and the pressure drops. less
molecules = less density. the fact that they move faster doesn't change density.

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

My mistake, I said less when I should have said more. I'll correct that now.

i think it's still wrong. even if water weighs less then air on molecular level, there is
no "replacement". wet air = dry air + water. we have weight of dry air + weight of water,
making wet air more heavy. since there is no change in volume, it makes humid air
more dense. how can air + somethin be less dense then just air ?

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

how can air + somethin be less dense then just air ?

Because that's not actually what's happening.

THIS web site has a more complete explaination than I gave.

Also http://www.colby.edu/sci.tech/st215/2.2view/tsld008.htm and http://www.digest.net/bmw/archive/v9/msg00906.html and http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wdensity.htm.
quade -

how can air + somethin be less dense then just air ?

Because that's not actually what's happening.

THIS web site has a more complete explaination than I gave.

Also http://www.colby.edu/sci.tech/st215/2.2view/tsld008.htm and http://www.digest.net/bmw/archive/v9/msg00906.html and http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wdensity.htm.

convinced :) my mistake was that i though "no replacement happens" apperently
it does:

"fixed volume of gas, say one cubic meter, at the same temperature and pressure, would always have the same number of molecules no matter what gas is in the container"

my assumptions will work only for closed systems. if you add water to air in
closed system, it will get denser.

you're right.

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

Oh, come on!

Skydiving is easy!

To understand it, all you need is a degree is aerodynamics, physics, chemistry, physiology, psychology . . . and everyone ology you can think of!

In some special cases, animal husbandry.
quade -

That is exactly what my first college degree was in. Really

Wow...and you admit this in public freely? :D

Sure. Why not? I was going into veterinary medicine at Davis University.:)
Had to give that dream up, though, when a horse ruptured my eye back in 1988.:S

ltdiver
ps What the heck were -you- thinkin'? :P

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Don't be confused. Humidity has no significant effect on air density. For canopy control, forget both the question and the answers.

Depends on your definition of "significant", but I will conditionally agree that for the purposes of normal canopy flight that you are, in fact, correct. I've stated as much several times in other threads.

However, the reality is that humid air is less dense than dry air and in the interest of having a more complete understanding of the subject, it is a valid question.
quade -

Depends on your definition of "significant"

to be accurate, the air density varies by ~1.5% when the relative humidity varies from 0% to 100% (standard conditions). Not objectively perceptible while flying a canopy, and far below the variations caused by other factors (mainly pressure and temperature).

However, the reality is that humid air is less dense than dry air and in the interest of having a more complete understanding of the subject, it is a valid question.

I have no doubt that the comparative density of dry and moist air is a valid question and that your answer is correct. However, this detail seems to be confusing. It is even used to support the misconception that canopies fly significantly better on dry days.

--
come
--
Come
Skydive Asia