freeflir29

Swooping body position?

OK....I am coming in pretty hot (For my canopy anyway) and plane it out. Out of nowhere I get the urge to try that "Cool guy swooper" body position. Lean forward hard and stick my arms to the rear. Tucked up the legs....and it felt awesome. Is it my imagination or was I A LOT more stable with much better control. Also seemed to load the entire rig better. Gave me more harness input control. I usually don't have a whole lot being on a Stilletto 170 but this feels much better. What is the "expert" opinion on this?
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

Yeah...I guess leaning forward does make you a bit more aerodynamic. I could definately feel a difference. The speed seemed to carry a little longer towards the end. I guess I could say "It didn't die as fast" as usual and seemed to have a tad more slow flight.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

you may have also flattened the glide out more by involving the rear risers

Yeah!!! I hadn't thought of that....The shift forward would tend to pull on the rear risers a little. I just entered an all new era in my swooping. Thats for sure! :)"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

>u may have also flattened the glide out more by involving the rear risers to a
>greater degree than before.
Nope, the weight is still suspended from two points, and your CG is still exactly beneath those two points. Moving around in the harness may improve your aerodynamics, but it does not change the loading on your risers. If anything, by adding toggles to the mix, you will slightly _reduce_ the loading on the rear risers since you are not pulling the toggles backwards as much any more, and thus are not adding that slight rearward deflection to the rear riser from the toggle keeper force.
-bill von