Skydive2

Swoop Pond Sizing Question

Were very seriously considering putting in a swoop pond at my DZ, and I have few questions about how other swoop ponds are built. First, right now were planning on making it around 200 feet long (give or take) and 20, 30, or 40 feet wide (we haven't decided), 3 feet in the deepest part, tapering at the sides and end's. Here's the debate, to save $$ we'd like to just have a liner, and have a tanker fill up the pond when its done, and fill it up with a hose to keep the water up (the skydive city and Lodi approach I THINK). Does anyone think we should shell out the additional money (probability close to $1,000 extra) and dig a well, and put in a pump?? Also, does it sound like a good size?
Just trying to get as much input as possible before we shell out the big $$$
Thanks in advance
Lance
http://www.parachutesarefun.com

Let's start by saying that I am by no means a swooper or a pond expert.
Is 3 ft deep enough, especially at the deepest part (presumably the middle)? What happens when someone starts their hook just a little too low, or maybe a lot too low, will they make it through 3 ft of water and then have to deal with the ground beneath? I'd be concerned about that.
My $0.02.
-
Jim

My thoughts.
The dangerous part of the swoop is before you plane out, in the dive, or the turn. So the longer it is the more people will set up and turn over water. On today's canopies that means a pond of at least 300 feet. But that is big, and means big bucks. So If I had to choose, I would make it as wide as possible at the entry point, then narrow it down to the exit point ( think pie!). That keeps the most water under you at the most dangerous point of the whole event.
Was that clinical enough?
Oh, but the longer the better for the photo and ego aspect.
Another thing, 3 feet should be fine for depth. I don't think my chow's have ever gone much deeper than that. :)

most of the ones i've seen constructed run north-south with the runway and are 300' long, by 6' wide by 4' in depth. as far as filling it up initially, i'd let the rain do it for me, or use a water hose. drilling a water well costs upwards of 4K-5K with gravel pack, electric submersible pump, compression chamber, etc..(unless you have a brother-in-law in the water well drilling business) a back hoe and a couple of days will do.
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

I believe the trend for swoop specific ponds is a diamond shape, allowing for multiple lane configurations based on wind conditions. The PPPB web site has a diagram (no dimensions) on the course description page. If you are just building a ditch, the wider the better- 40-50' and 300'+ and 3-4' deep (if someone hits hard enough to go through that they are going to be f**ked up by the water anyway)...
I've never seen a purpose built swoop ditch 6' wide, that is just asking to hurt someone.
I agree, JS is probably your best resource for detailed / experienced info.
Josh
http://www.aerialfusion.com

The square is usually 150 to 175 ft wide. 175 ft will make the distance from corner to corner about 247 ft. # feet is about the right depth. Deep enough to give some coushin but shallow enough so when your feet sink in the bottom your head is still above water.
William

If you want to be able to have any type of carving accuracy course, you will need a wider ditch/pond. Diamonds are perfect for that. Still, the fact of the matter is that in PPPB meets, only accuracy is conducted mostly over water. Distance and Speed are both set up with the entrance gates over the pond, but the majority of the course is out over land.
Three feet is pretty standard as far as homemade swoop ponds go. It's plenty deep to cushion a blow, but shallow enough that you can stand up and keep your rig out the water after a chow. It also makes it much easier for support personnel to come to your aid if you pound in. The deepest part of the new pond in Cedartown, GA is about 2.5 feet and it was more than fine.
If you are more into "water level" type events, then a long, straight ditch is OK, so long as it has sufficient width to do some carving. I would go at least 240 feet and at least 40 feet wide. Using a liner is VERY smart, as some ground is very poreous and will soak water right up. Filling it once with a firetruck or off a hydrant would be smart for the the first time. Maintaining the level will depend on your climate. Hot, arid areas with no shade will obviously evaporate faster than one in milder climes. I know places that are able to maintain the level with a hose, but plenty of others that require a firehose. As I recall, the pond at Perris lost about 1000 gallons a day when we were running the meets.
As previously stated, you ought to just call Jim Slaton and talk to him a bit about it. He has his shit together on this subject.
Chuck
My webpage HERE