jacobwaerness

180 Degree Downhill Carve

I'm planning to make a movie next summer. It will be about the esthetics of landing a parachute. A film of tranquility and wonderful scenery. And a bit of action....
I want the skydiver to make a carve across a flowery field which is quite steep. The plan is to make a downhill 180 degree carve. Do any of you think it is possible?
What is the distance you could expect to swoop (approx)? Would you gain distance by using the rear risers?
I would be very glad to hear any comments. Maybe you will see your name in the subtitles of the film if you contribute with useful advice!
Jacob (Norwegian filmmaker in spe)

You might want to look at reducing the amount of carve that the Blade Runner (Its going to take someone of that skill level to do) has to turn. A 180 even downhill is a lot to be turning close to the ground. Even in the proswoop stuff they only have to make a 90 degree turn for the most points in the accuracy events and thats over water. A 90 degree turn while over sloping land is still going to look super cool, and it increases the saftey for the jumper.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

Hey there, Dave! I just saw your signature and I must say that seeing the word bounce associated with success in a skydiving forum makes me awfully uncomfortable! ;)
Blues,
Trey

a 180' turn once swooping is on the limit of what is possible.
swooping down a hill is actually more difficult than up one. one of my favorite dz's is louisberg NC, because they have a beautiful hill in the showoff landing area (not to mention awesome people, planes, packing area). its tons of fun to swoop up it then see how far you can carve. chuck last year was busting almost 180's. my first time swooping down the hill, was a surprise. i carved a 270, built up lots of speed and started surfing about 20' from the drop off of the hill. to get the canopy to surf down an incline at high speed you need to lean on your front risers (the canopy just wants to go straight). i made it about 300' bobing up and down.
sincerely,
dan
www.extremefly.com