larry

wings on jumpsuit

I’m 6’0” 240lbs and am trying to buy a better suit to slow my fall rate enough for RW. When I called to order they gave me a list of the options that would help best: medium weight polycotton, standard cut as opposed to trim etc.

Lastly he recommended I get wings on it. Since I only have an A license I’m hesitant to follow his advice. How hard would it be to get use to it? Are there any more dangers or procedures that one needs to be aware of? I assume this is common on heavy jumpers and is not the same thing as a “wingsuit” which is only used by advanced jumpers?

I’d appreciate any clarification you can give me on this. Thanks. :)
FYI: Flite Suit from Para Gear - I want to stick with this brand because it's cheap and I'm thinking I'll go through it fast.
“Now click your heels together 3 times so you can return to Kansas to live in poverty with your teetotaling, dirt farming aunt and uncle!” paraphrased Prof. Farnsworth

I'd be more worried about getting a suit that will last for years, that fits right and has the options that I want then price. If you get codura knees and bum, most suits will go 700 jumps plus with no major issues,

As for the wings, I doubt they are talking camera style wings. You can also adjust your body position a lot for RW. At your size a cotton suit that is fitted right should be close to meeting your needs.I've turned points with larger and shorter people (read more rounded) and they could fall just as slow as I go. (about 118 mph)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I doubt they are talking camera style wings.

Right, that is a seperate option. That's why I'm trying to figure out exactly what these wings are and if they will benifit me and are right for my skill level. Thanks
“Now click your heels together 3 times so you can return to Kansas to live in poverty with your teetotaling, dirt farming aunt and uncle!” paraphrased Prof. Farnsworth

tell them to send you a picture ... you will get more accurate feedback

Good idea, I sent them an email and will post it as soon as I get it.

The "wings" i think they are talking about is more of a baggy section of fabric were a camera suit wing would be. You would use swoop cords attached at the waste and your hands to pull them out. Bill Von as this kinda thing on his suit.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

They're talking about swoop cords. They attach to your thumbs or hands and run down the inside of the sleeve to your waist. When you extend your arms they pull out like you have great big lats, and slow your speed. Probably a good idea. They are not wings.

Called Paul at Para Gear again to get clarification. They are flaps (or wings or whatever you want to call them) with swoop cords exactly as Deuce and Viking described. He explained to me a little better than last time exactly how they work. Thanks all for the input.

>Lastly he recommended I get wings on it. Since I only have an A
> license I’m hesitant to follow his advice.

Do not use them until you are very familiar with openings, releasing brakes etc because they do restrict your ability to reach the toggles/slider etc a bit. Before you use wings/swoop cords for the first time, set them to about the right length - if you extend your arms all the way out at a 135 degree angle to your body they should just tighten up. Then jump without them. Under canopy put the swoop cords over your hands and try to reach the toggles. This will ensure that they do not restrict your reach unduly.

Personally I use them on bigger stuff as insurance. As an example, last week we did a 10-way and I used the swoop cords on my Flitesuit. (Swoop cords "extend" the wings and go around your hands.) I did not need them for most of the dive, but at one point the sitflying video guy got directly beneath me and I extended them to keep from getting burbled out.

Before you use wings/swoop cords for the first time, set them to about the right length - if you extend your arms all the way out at a 135 degree angle to your body they should just tighten up. Then jump without them. Under canopy put the swoop cords over your hands and try to reach the toggles. This will ensure that they do not restrict your reach unduly.

That is great advice. I think it will save you time. I only have cords on my camera suit and I took three jumps to tighten the wings to where I could just reach my brakes and get maximum tension on the wing at extension.

I'll be passing that one to the next "first camera suit" inquiry I come across.

Thanks BillVon.:)

Tad's Sportsware will put sitfly "wings" on a freefly suit if requested. I have purchased 3 from them and
love the mod. My wife and I both jump with this style suit. http://www.tads.com.au/
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

You might also think about "Training" swoop cords. I have used shock cord (Bungee cord) to make the cords. They stretch and will allow you to reach all our controls in case something happens. You can work with the length to get the right amount of tension to fly right and still not impair your reach. They work great!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I decided not to go with them after all. I'm going to wait till I get a few more coached jumps with this new looser fitting suit to see if I can correct my problems through technique alone. If I can’t correct the fall rate after acquiring B or C skill level, I'll go for the best big guy suit I can find with swoop cords.