SkyMissy

Types of "Tersh's" available.

I need a belly mount reserve (that is reliable). In what configurations can one get a belly reserve? Square, round, toss-out, spring-loaded pilot chute...etc?? Also, if I have to buy one, who has 'em?

Now THAT is something I could use B|

--
Hook high, flare on time

do you need a cutaway rig? what is your application?

as far as a belly mount your rig needs to have been built to accept one, i.e. with d rings...

sandy at rigging inovations is the only company i know that makes a belly containers for a square reserve. technically i do not believe they meet faa guidelines, but none of the manufacturers who use them care...safety first, technicalities second...

anyway give sandy a call, he was very helpful when we were shoping for our cutaway rigs...

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Chest-mounted tertiary reserves come in two styles: certified and non-certified. Both types are only available with round canopies. Cobaltdan's reference to chest-mounted squares is only available to smoke jumpers and factory test-jumpers. I doubt if any factory will sell a chest-mounted square to a fun jumper.
Most of the certified chest-mounted reserves built in the 1970s can be used as tertiary reserves. The better round canopies (i.e. TSO C23B standard category) will survive terminal openings. Check if the pilotchute was removed, because that vastly changes deployment procedures to the point where you may have to shove your hands inside the pack and feed the canopy out by hand.
A variety of non-certified tertiary reserves are available from the hang-gliding/para-gliding communities. These are strictly low-speed parachutes. Any attempt to deploy them at terminal velocity will result in damaged canopies and spines.
Attaching a tertiary reserve to any harness requires the assistance of a rigger. If the harness has large chest rings, it is easy. Just clip the hooks onto the chest rings and then ask your local rigger to rig a waist belt.
If your harness does not have chest rings, then you have to convince your local master rigger to sew on a pair of D-rings.
Don't take strapping on a tertiary reserve lightly.
Any jump with extra equipment, be it flags, smoke or tertiary reserves deserves detailed planning and rehearsals, on a par with serious test-jumping or movie stunt work. Hint, ask the advice of the oldest fart on your DZ who has jumped with a belly-mounted reserve.

Chest-mounted tertiary reserves come in two styles: certified and non-certified. Both types are only available with round canopies. Cobaltdan's reference to chest-mounted squares is only available to smoke jumpers and factory test-jumpers.

I have a square (PD-170) in my (non-certified) chest mount and Kelli has a Stiletto 97 in hers.

Hook

Chest-mounted tertiary reserves come in two styles: certified and non-certified. Both types are only available with round canopies. Cobaltdan's reference to chest-mounted squares is only available to smoke jumpers and factory test-jumpers.

I have a square (PD-170) in my (non-certified) chest mount and Kelli has a Stiletto 97 in hers.

Can Kelli cutaway her secondary?
(I am assuming she can cutaway her primary.)
Johan.
I am. I think.